Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Barry Larkin joining Reds TV broadcast booth

Re: Barry Larkin joining Reds TV broadcast booth

Larkin is angling by taking this... for the shortstop job.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Likes:

MR X (02-17-2021),tripleaaaron (02-17-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Even though I thought he was hit or miss on ESPN, I look forward to listening to him. For most broadcasters, there is a steep learning curve. At the very least, maybe we will get an occasional story about the debauchery of the 1990 Reds during west coast road trips.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    You'd think. But he basically came across as Harold Reynolds 2.0. Pleasant guy, but always seems like he's carrying water for how the game used to be played. I'm obviously a fanboy of Larkin the player, but I'm not looking forward to 100 different versions of "analytics have ruined the game."
    Nothing wrong with how the game used to be played, or guys trying to telegraph to the listener that the world changes as does baseball. It's the insistence that it's the the only way it should be played that's a problem. I'll wait until that's a problem before I worry too much.

Having him in the booth makes listening to the Reds more interesting and I've spent a lot of tv time trying to not listen to their crew for years because it was annoying, uninteresting and repetitive

I look forward to the fresh air

6. Likes:

757690 (02-17-2021),Bob Sheed (02-17-2021),CesarGeronimo (02-17-2021),Chip R (02-17-2021),Old school 1983 (02-17-2021),Revering4Blue (02-17-2021),Roy Tucker (02-17-2021),savafan (02-17-2021),The Operator (02-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Neat, but not happy we'll be getting less Welsh.
    Yeah, I’m of the opinion that less Welsh is a bad thing. Crazy that he’s on the doorstep of 30 years calling Reds games. That longevity earns him the right to work a bit less, for sure. He’s the best broadcaster the Reds have, and has been for some time.

I’m excited for Barry to be involved with the broadcasts and see what he’s like calling a game. Caught him during studio work at ESPN, and I will say my feelings were ... mixed. Looking forward to it, though.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

Quote Originally Posted by Sabo Fan View Post
    Yeah, I’m of the opinion that less Welsh is a bad thing. Crazy that he’s on the doorstep of 30 years calling Reds games. That longevity earns him the right to work a bit less, for sure. He’s the best broadcaster the Reds have, and has been for some time.

I’m excited for Barry to be involved with the broadcasts and see what he’s like calling a game. Caught him during studio work at ESPN, and I will say my feelings were ... mixed. Looking forward to it, though.
    I like Welsh better on the radio for some reason.

While we're at it... I feel we've blinked and suddenly Brantley's been calling games for 15 years too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

9. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-17-2021),RiverRat13 (02-18-2021)

IDK if I can listen to Barry Larkin...great player and I was always a huge fan but his voice is annoying.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    IDK if I can listen to Barry Larkin...great player and I was always a huge fan but his voice is annoying.

12. Likes:

Chip R (02-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Your momma.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

14. Likes:

westofyou (02-17-2021)

I don't have a feeling about whether I'll like Barry Larkins as a Reds broadcaster or not. I bet that I like him better than I liked Thom and that this year's broadcasts will be more about baseball and the game at hand.

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-18-2021),Ron Madden (02-17-2021)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Thin Brenneman is available to play shortstop
    Stick to your guns.

Only good move this off-season. If the off-season grade was a borderline D/F it may swing it to a passing grade. Unfortunately it is a very low F.

I’m optimistic about this. New blood won’t be a bad thing.

I’m going to miss hearing Welsh as often though. For so long during Thom’s reign of terror, Welsh was the only voice of reason and I truly believe he grew into being one of the best color commentators in baseball.

That being said, if this is a voluntary thing by him to work less as he gets older, well, good for him. That’s the dream.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

20. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-18-2021),757690 (02-17-2021),Chip R (02-19-2021),cumberlandreds (02-18-2021),JFLegal (02-18-2021),loudangry (02-17-2021),ochoa30 (02-17-2021),Revering4Blue (02-18-2021),Ron Madden (02-18-2021),Roy Tucker (02-18-2021),Sabo Fan (02-17-2021)

lol @ "thom's reign of terror."

Jeff Piecoro, Doug Flynn and Danny Graves won't be back on Cincinnati Reds broadcast teams
    Jeff Piecoro spent 23 years with Fox Sports Ohio, but he laughs at the memory of waiting for the calls that he’d be back on the Cincinnati Reds broadcast team because he was always on one-year contracts.

“Jim (Day) and I used to always laugh about it because a couple of weeks before spring training, we’d get a call from our bosses going, ‘hey, are you guys ready for another season?’ We were like, ‘Phew, we’ve got a job again. "

Piecoro, Doug Flynn and Danny Graves were recently informed they won’t be on the TV or radio broadcast teams for the 2021 season. The Reds and Fox Sports Ohio, which will soon be rebranded to Bally Sports Ohio, announced their broadcast teams Tuesday.
    Bobby Nightengale, Cincinnati Enquirer 22 mins ago

FOX Sports Ohio Reds reporter Jeff Piecoro will not be returning to Reds broadcasts in 2021. Jeff has worked as a pre/post-game host, on field reporter, post-game manager interviewer, and Reds weekly TV show host. He had been on Reds TV broadcasts for 22 years. Only color analyst Chris Welsh (29 years) has been on the Reds broadcasting team longer.

Reds on Radio fill-in color analyst Doug Flynn will not return to the radio broadcast booth in 2021. Flynn had been filling in on Reds games for 9 seasons and has been hosting the Reds weekly TV show.

Danny Graves also will not be returning to Reds broadcasts in 2021. The Reds all-time saves leader worked part-time as a color analyst on Reds on Radio broadcasts the past three seasons. He also appeared on the TV pre/post-game show and worked as part of a three-man TV booth for select innings.

http://cincinnati.com/story/sports/m...ack/6789317002

TV:
    John Sadak (pxp)
    Barry Larkin (color, home games)
    Chris Welsh or Jeff Brantley (color, away games)
    Jim Day (sideline reporter)

TV Pregame:
    Brian Giesenschlag
    Sam LeCure
    Chris Welsh (select games)
    Charlie Walter (fill-in for Giesenschlag)

Radio:
    Tommy Thrall (pxp)
    Jeff Brantley (color)
    Chris Welsh (fill-in color)

No word on who takes over play-by-play should Sadak or Thrall have a series off. Maybe they both will work all 162. I would have to assume that Jim Day will move into that role of fill-in play-by-play should the situation warrant.

24. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-18-2021),westofyou (02-18-2021)

Turn Off Ads?