Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best Shape of My Life 2021: Spring Training Pics & Media

Re: Best Shape of My Life 2021: Spring Training Pics & Media

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I love the slimmer Geno. I'd rather have 30 HRs with agility on the bases and the field with a better batting average over the 50 HR one trick pony he'd turned into. Just that picture alone raises my view of the coming season a bit. Hope I'm not being fooled.
    That’s quite a hot take on his 2019.

He had a .360 OBP that year and .270 BA. You’re acting like he was Mark Trumbo.

I’ll take the guy that had a .930 OPS and finished 15th in MVP voting.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

HammerTime (02-23-2021),ochoa30 (02-23-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I love the slimmer Geno. I'd rather have 30 HRs with agility on the bases and the field with a better batting average over the 50 HR one trick pony he'd turned into. Just that picture alone raises my view of the coming season a bit. Hope I'm not being fooled.
    He just never got going in 2020 but his batting averages as a Red have been .280, .248, .260, .283, .271 then .202 in 2020 and OBP .315, .317, .367, .366, .358 then .312 in 2020. He struck out too much in 2019 during that 49 homer season. His defense may have slipped a bit but I think his batting average and on base ability have been fine with the power.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    That’s quite a hot take on his 2019.

He had a .360 OBP that year and .270 BA. You’re acting like he was Mark Trumbo.

I’ll take the guy that had a .930 OPS and finished 15th in MVP voting.
    I'm thinking more of last year. He was all or nothing and his defense was atrocious. He was very good in 2019, but his defense in 2019 clearly slipped from 2018 when I thought he was quite good at 3B. In 2020, it slipped again.

I'm just saying, I'd be happy if he'd trade off some HRs for a better all around game.He's capable. Others on the team probably aren't. We're never going to see a solid all around game from Castellanos, Winker or Votto. Moose maybe, but probably not playing 2B.
    Last edited by mth123; 02-23-2021 at 11:48 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Few pics and videos of Suarez. Maybe I'm wrong but he for sure looks like he slimmed down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Few pics and videos of Suarez. Maybe I'm wrong but he for sure looks like he slimmed down a bit.
    If only that was being discussed somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    If only that was being discussed somewhere...
    Yeah a few posts above. Didn't know I wasn't allowed to comment on it.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Yeah a few posts above. Didn't know I wasn't allowed to comment on it.
    Nick Krall, on last week’s Hot Stove podcast, described Suarez’s regimen this off-season. Worked with a nutritionist, etc.

So I’m not surprised to see the result. I still don’t expect him to play shortstop, but always good to see a Reds player seem in good condition for Spring Training.

10. Likes:

HammerTime (02-23-2021)

12. Likes:

NebraskaRed (02-23-2021)

I'm thinking more of last year. He was all or nothing and his defense was atrocious. He was very good in 2019, but his defense in 2019 clearly slipped from 2018 when I thought he was quite good at 3B. In 2020, it slipped again.

I'm just saying, I'd be happy if he'd trade off some HRs for a better all around game.He's capable. Others on the team probably aren't. We're never going to see a solid all around game from Castellanos, Winker or Votto. Moose maybe, but probably not playing 2B.
    I’m not holding 2020 against anyone. At one point of the 2020 season they literally showed a clip of Suarez sitting next to pictures of his wife and daughter crying because he hadn’t seen them so long. He was also recovering from shoulder surgery. You’re looking too much into a small sample size fake season IMHO.

He was amazing in 2019 and didn’t have to hit less home runs to do it.

14. Likes:

Griffey012 (02-24-2021),HammerTime (02-23-2021),Old school 1983 (02-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I’m not holding 2020 against anyone. At one point of the 2020 season they literally showed a clip of Suarez sitting next to pictures of his wife and daughter crying because he hadn’t seen them so long. He was also recovering from shoulder surgery. You’re looking too much into a small sample size fake season IMHO.

He was amazing in 2019 and didn’t have to hit less home runs to do it.
    Maybe. I do think its interesting when somne one has a bad year it was a small sample size fake season, but when I question why everyone is so optimistic about the Reds the answer I get is that they went to the play-offs last year. It's either a fake season or it's not.

What I have seen as Suarez has bulked up (and he was even bulier in 2020 than in 2019 when he had his big offensive year) , he's hit for a lot more power but other areas of his game have eroded. His defense at 3B first and foremost, but last year we saw indicatiuons of reduced contact and being slower on the bases. I like the Suarez who was more of an all around player which was last seen when he was slimmer. I'm hoping this new, slimmer Suarez means we're getting back to that.
    Last edited by mth123; 02-24-2021 at 07:10 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Maybe. I do think its interesting when somne one has a bad year it was a small sample size fake season, but when I question why everyone is so optimistic about the Reds the answer I get is that they went to the play-offs last year. It's either a fake season or it's not.
    The short season worked against the Reds last season, mth. They were massively unlucky early and, as a result, lost games. They were only getting into their groove when the season ended. Too, the Cubs, Cardinals, and Brewers were all struggling to put together solid years. Had it been a full season, the Reds would have almost assuredly won the division with 90+ wins. (Bauer comes down off his incredible high, but Votto-- who'd found his power stroke-- remains hot. Lorenzen or DeSclafani get hot or Miley gets healthy in the rotation. The rest of the guys play to the back of their baseball cards.

17. Likes:

M2 (02-24-2021),Old school 1983 (02-25-2021)

What I have seen as Suarez has bulked up (and he was even bulier in 2020 than in 2019 when he had his big offensive year) , he's hit for a lot more power but other areas of his game have eroded. His defense at 3B first and foremost, but last year we saw indicatiuons of reduced contact and being slower on the bases. I like the Suarez who was more of an all around player which was last seen when he was slimmer. I'm hoping this new, slimmer Suarez means we're getting back to that.
    I’ve said consistently if the season was 162 I think the Reds would have finished well above .500 and it hurt them.

I haven’t said “they made the playoffs” at all. I’ve also said Bauer’s numbers are questionable to me because it was a small sample size against the two worst divisions in baseball. So, your strawman has nothing to do with my opinion on the small sample size season.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Introducing your 2021 Cincinnati Bengals.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

21. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (02-24-2021)

Turn Off Ads?