Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 56 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Cincinnati Reds Spring Training

Re: 2021 Cincinnati Reds Spring Training

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr

#Reds probable starters following Saturday’s off day.
    Sunday vs. SF - RHP Noé Ramirez
    Monday at COL - RHP Tejay Anton
    Tuesday vs. LAD - RHP Sonny Gray

2. Turn Off Ads?

Charlie Goldsmith @CharlieG__
    Nick Castellanos, Mark Payton and Scott Heineman all look like they’ve made really big strides defensively.

Bell on infield prospect Jonathan India: "It’s been pretty remarkable the difference one year makes.”

Reds infielder Max Schrock: “My bat to ball skills are pretty good, I pride myself on putting the ball in play… I like to be the guy that gets on base."

Max Schrock: “I work at shortstop every offseason because it helps your feet move a little better.”

“I haven’t spent a lot of time in pro ball there, but I grew up as a shortstop."

When pitchers and catchers reported to camp last month, Reds pitching coach Derek Johnson noticed the trend in his pitchers — it seemed nearly every other pitcher had been drafted in the first round. Among the team’s active roster, the non-roster invitees and the early minor-league camp, there are 12 former first-round picks working at the team’s complex.

“There’s a ton of ’em,” Johnson said. “They’re all over the place.”
    C. Trent Rosecrans https://theathletic.com/2426404/2021....co/XOi7q4y7yR

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    And Luis Castillo wasn't even drafted.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

6. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-06-2021)

So Reds camp (on the pitching side) is a little different this year. Beyond the Motus sleeve to track work load, looks like they have guys jumping on force plates, measuring internal and external rotation and tracking sleep quality. At least the young guys coming up that are buying in or have to buy into the program.

You can draw a direct line to TB for that stuff. Exactly what he does and brought to the Reds when he came over. One of the lasting legacies he will leave on the Reds pitching development if they stay the course and don't run away from it.

8. Likes:

BillDoran (03-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Man, I really hope not. It's such a Tony Womack idea.
    You've undone in an instant what took years of deep psycho therapy to achieve in erasing that name from my memory. Thanks.

Barry Larkins are hard to come by any more I guess, so maybe they need to start settling for the Leo Cardenas'
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

10. Likes:

M2 (03-07-2021),marcshoe (03-07-2021),Mitri (03-07-2021),wally post (03-07-2021)

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    An arbitrator will determine if Aristides Aquino, José De León and/or Cionel Pérez have a minor-league option this season. That ruling could play a part in the way the #Reds shape their Opening Day roster.

12. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (03-07-2021),RED VAN HOT (03-08-2021)

Bobby Nightengale @nightengalejr
    LHP Cionel Pérez has an electric arm if he can continue to throw strikes. He's sitting at 97 mph with his fastball in the 1st inning.

Eugenio Suárez lost 15 lbs. this offseason and he's showing off his speed. Stretched a single into a double and he scored on a medium-distance sacrifice fly to LF.

RHP Graham Aschraft, a 6th-round pick in 2019 out of UAB, is sitting 98-99 mph with his fastball and he touched 100 with one pitch. He gave up a HR on a breaking ball to Joey Bart.

C. Trent Rosecrans @ctrent
    Graham Ashcroft is a guy I heard a lot about coming into spring. His first pitch to Joey Bart was 98. (Bart hit an off speed pitch for a homer). He threw 9 fastballs in his inning. 2 were 98. 6 were 99. 1 was 100.

Charlie Goldsmith @CharlieG__
    David Bell on Alex Blandino: “He’s just a really solid player who makes all the plays.”
    “We’ve really asked him to do a lot."

Jose Garcia, playing to the right side of second base with the shift, just made a diving play across the second base bag and made the throw to get the out at first.
    That’s the glove that have many with the Reds believing he’s the shortstop of the future.

The Reds started the game today with three left-handed relievers, and the one with the least MLB experience was the most impressive.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-07-2021 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Barry Larkins are hard to come by any more I guess, so maybe they need to start settling for the Leo Cardenas'
    Leo Cardenas was no slouch

15. Likes:

Roy Tucker (03-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Leo Cardenas was no slouch
    Grew up watching Leo, and got to met him years ago at the Red's HOF when he was inducted. By today's standards he would be seen as another sub-700 OPS Shortstop, with a so-so bat, little power, who can't talk a BB. But he can play some defense.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

On the Reds radio broadcast yesterday, they were talking about how Sean Doolittle needs to get his velocity back up to where it used to be, then he gave up three runs and consecutive home runs in one inning of work. Not encouraging.

"His velocity will be something to watch in spring training. He averaged 93.5 mph with his fastball in 2019, according to Statcast, but it dipped to 90.3 mph in August last year. Doolittle's fastball velocity did rebound to 91.3 mph in September, but it was still a sizable drop from the previous year." cincinnati.com Feb 2, 2021

18. Likes:

BillDoran (03-08-2021),REDREAD (03-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post
    On the Reds radio broadcast yesterday, they were talking about how Sean Doolittle needs to get his velocity back up to where it used to be, then he gave up three runs and consecutive home runs in one inning of work. Not encouraging.
    I would be careful tying one to the other. It was his first outing of the spring and success isn't necessarily tied to velocity

Quote Originally Posted by CesarGeronimo View Post
    "His velocity will be something to watch in spring training. He averaged 93.5 mph with his fastball in 2019, according to Statcast, but it dipped to 90.3 mph in August last year. Doolittle's fastball velocity did rebound to 91.3 mph in September, but it was still a sizable drop from the previous year." cincinnati.com Feb 2, 2021
    What was his velocity during this outing?

The games don’t count, but since 2018 Reds are 28-51 in spring training games reported in standings. Last year they were 9-8 in the shortened ST, currently 1-5 this season.

To some extent, could represent Reds use of ST to try out unproven or bounce back players. Perhaps also use of minor league players in big league games, but all teams do that early.

Only potential importance of ST wins might be to help Reds get off quickly in the regular season. It’s possible more wins late in ST might help that effort.

Since Reds generally have st
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-08-2021 at 10:54 AM.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (03-16-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

When are the first cuts?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    When are the first cuts?
    Don’t know but Reds are traditionally (last several years) on the late side in making ST cuts.

Then they usually announce them in pretty large batches.

So I wouldn’t expect anything very soon, but that’s just based on recent practice, subject to change of course.

Turn Off Ads?