Turn Off Ads?
Page 46 of 56 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Cincinnati Reds Spring Training

Re: 2021 Cincinnati Reds Spring Training

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    This is true for everyone except like the Dodgers and I guess the Rays.
    Show me someone worse than Hoffman in any remotely competitive teams’s Opening Day rotation.

Also, some of the things that turn the mediocre rotation into a dumpster fire are starting to happen. Some of this was fairly foreseeable, and there’s no backup plan whatsoever.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 03-29-2021 at 12:19 AM.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (03-30-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Show me someone worse than Hoffman in any remotely competitive teams’s Opening Day rotation.

Also, some of the things that turn the mediocre rotation into a dumpster fire are starting to happen. Some of this was fairly foreseeable, and there’s no backup plan whatsoever.
    Cubs # 4 starter is Trevor Williams. Their #5 starter is Adbert Alzolay
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

5. Likes:

HammerTime (03-29-2021),M2 (03-29-2021)

Johnny Cueto - 9.82 ERA this spring Hoffman 8.50.
    Salary Cueto - 21 million Hoffman 575K
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Cubs # 4 starter is Trevor Williams. Their #5 starter is Adbert Alzolay
    You kidding? I take Alzolay every day of the week over Hoffman. In limited innings, Alzolay was flat out good last year. Nearly all projections prefer Alzolay as well. Hoffman has never been a good major league pitcher.

I’m gonna stop, but no idea why folks are defending the dreck that’s going to be trotted out there this year. The Reds are 80% of the way to being competitive. Instead of finishing the job, they refused to acquire major-league caliber players to fill out SS and necessary pitching depth. As a result, we’ll see some nice players have great years only to be sunk by glaring holes in the roster. And it’s not, they acquired the wrong guy and now we have to suffer. No, they closed up shop and refused spend one more penny.

8. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-29-2021),JFLegal (03-29-2021),REDREAD (03-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Johnny Cueto - 9.82 ERA this spring Hoffman 8.50.
    Salary Cueto - 21 million Hoffman 575K
    Entirely different circumstances. Cueto’s the equivalent of Votto at first. You’re stuck with him due to his contract, and at least you can hope he’ll recapture the old magic. Hoffman’s got no magic. Never had any.

I get that it’s a time for optimism and posts like mine aren’t going to be popular. I’m also no baseball savant, so I could well be wrong about all this, but counting Hoffman, DeLeon, Lorenzen and Miley looks to me like a team that’s going to be putrid. Checking out on this. Here’s hoping I’m a dip****.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (03-30-2021)

You kidding? I take Alzolay every day of the week over Hoffman. In limited innings, Alzolay was flat out good last year. Nearly all projections prefer Alzolay as well. Hoffman has never been a good major league pitcher.

I’m gonna stop, but no idea why folks are defending the dreck that’s going to be trotted out there this year. The Reds are 80% of the way to being competitive. Instead of finishing the job, they refused to acquire major-league caliber players to fill out SS and necessary pitching depth. As a result, we’ll see some nice players have great years only to be sunk by glaring holes in the roster. And it’s not, they acquired the wrong guy and now we have to suffer. No, they closed up shop and refused spend one more penny.
    What’s the glaring hole? 6th and 7th starters due to injury? Pretty sure that would be an issue for basically every single team.

I’m gonna stop, but no idea why folks are defending the dreck that’s going to be trotted out there this year.
    First, no one is defending Hoffman or DeLeon, just pointing out that other teams have bad pitchers at the bottom of their rotation too.

Second, you should stop, we all should stop, because it’s clear that no matter what names are mentioned, you will argue that they are better than Hoffman. This is so standard for Redszone. Someone asks for names, then shoots down every name mentioned. It’s a boring game.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    First, no one is defending Hoffman or DeLeon, just pointing out that other teams have bad pitchers at the bottom of their rotation too.

Second, you should stop, we all should stop, because it’s clear that no matter what names are mentioned, you will argue that they are better than Hoffman. This is so standard for Redszone. Someone asks for names, then shoots down every name mentioned. It’s a boring game.
    Jeff Hoffman has thrown 230 major league innings. His ERA over those innings is 6.40.

Find one guy scheduled to start a competitive team’s first five games with as many (or more) IP and an equivalent (or higher) ERA.

Both Alzolay and Williams have career ERAs nearly 2 whole runs better.
    Last edited by BillDoran; 03-29-2021 at 01:13 AM.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (03-30-2021)

Jeff Hoffman has thrown 230 major league innings. His ERA over those innings is 6.40.

Find one guy scheduled to start a competitive team’s first five games with as many (or more) IP and an equivalent (or higher) ERA.

He spent his career in Colorado, so using ERA is bit unfair.

Here are his projections for 2021

Steamer - 4.46 ERA 0.7 WAR
    ZIPS - 5.07 1.2 WAR

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/je...ats?position=P

I am not going to spend my time looking up every team’s #4 and 5 starters, but I am guessing most of them are in this range. The Cardinals and Cubs #4 and 5 starters are right there with near identical projections. In fact, the Cubs #3 starter Arrieta is there too.

16. Likes:

DocRed (03-29-2021)

He's a guy filling in for hopefully one time thru the rotation......
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

18. Likes:

DocRed (03-29-2021),Ron Madden (03-29-2021)

The line that always gets me in these threads is “they (Reds FO) are too cheap.” It makes it sound as if Nick Krall spent all off-season on the golf course and left his phone at home. There is absolutely no proof that the Reds didn’t offer a fair, competitive contract to any FA they were pursuing. There is no poster on RedsZone who has 100% knowledge what amount of money was offered to who.

I find it very difficult to criticize somebody for refusing to offer $20 million to a player who can be signed for $15 million elsewhere. It is so easy to spend someone else’s money. Yes, ownership may be millionaires, but they didn’t get that way by being stupid. Refusing to overpay is not being cheap. There are many reasons FA’s decide where to play and contrary to opinion, money isn’t always the deciding factor.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

20. Likes:

757690 (03-29-2021),Ron Madden (03-29-2021)

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

From Baseball Prospectus about Hoffman: “He has faced over 500 right-handed batters in the majors and they have a 1.000 OPS against him; nobody’s ever been that bad against righties for that long as a fellow northpaw.”

That’s a big holy moly.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

22. Likes:

BillDoran (03-29-2021),REDREAD (03-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    So everyone is blowing their gaskets because of the spring training record and not having Raisel Iglesias anymore.

Alright.
    I posted this in another thread, it's something to consider.

Maybe Bob ordered Krall to cut payroll and the Angels were the only team willing to take on so much of Iglesias salary.

We will never know
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-29-2021 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I posted this in another thread, it's something to consider.

Maybe Bob ordered Krall to cut payroll and the Angels were the only team willing to take on so much of Iglesias salary.

We will never know
    Of course that's what happened. I thought most all of us agreed on that part.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Of course that's what happened. I thought most all of us agreed on that part.
    Maybe Steve Cohen wants to buy another baseball team? Does Buffet need a team? Elon Musk maybe? I'd be willing to change the name to the Cincinnati Teslas or Cincinnati SpaceX..hell even Cincinnati Boring
    Last edited by DocRed; 03-29-2021 at 07:48 AM.

26. Likes:

REDREAD (03-30-2021)

Turn Off Ads?