• D

45 37.82%
  • F

64 53.78%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Grade the Reds' offseason

Re: Grade the Reds' offseason

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Just beciuase it isn't a zero, doesn't meanits not an F.
    Did this offseason set the organization back for years? That's my standard for F. And the answer to that question is no. Did the organization fail to make meaningful improvements to the club when winning the division could have been attainable? That my standard for a D. And the answer there is yes.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

2. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (02-17-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I gave them a D, though I'd like it to be an I because that would suggest they still might do more. But I suspect that is not going to happen.

1. The major fail for me is not signing Andrelton Simmons, especially as he went to the Twins on a one year contract for a very reasonable number in today's game--10.5. I'd love to know what we really offered him, if in fact we did offer him, because that would tell us whether we really were making competitive offers or just talking about it while saving money for the ownership. I never thought there was the slightest chance we would sign Semien and I prefer Simmons on a one year contract to Gregorius on two. A one year deal with Simmons would have been the perfect fit for us at SS: major upgrade on defense, excellent transition to Garcia, likely 2nd best position player on the roster. This is an enormous fail in my estimation.

2. I never expected anything in the way of bullpen signings other than the kind of fishing expeditions we have engaged in, and I actually rather like those: Doolittle on a bounceback, Bedrosian on what seems like a very reasonable contract etc. I would like to have taken a flier on one of the starters who could have considerable upside. Chris Archer is the one that intrigued me most, though he signed for more than I expected and I'm not sure I'd have wanted us to $6.5 for him. More recently I have accepted KC's logic that with 4.4 coming Lorenzen's way he's probably going to get a very long look at the #5 spot.

3. On positive side, we did not trade Senzel or India. I've been disappointed in both, but I still think Senzel is the one player who could this year make the biggest single incremental difference in the team and I don't like trading a guy at a low point of value whom the org. once thought enough of to draft very high in the first round.

4. Also a mild positive, we did not offer any long term contracts to aging or one dimensional players, the kinds of contract that reduce flexibility and make it impossible to take advantage of market changes from year to year.

5. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-17-2021)

Is there such a thing as an F plus? The only big positive that I could think of was not giving Bauer a Votto type contract. That was actually a bigger concern to me than signing a solid SS option. It feels like a 75 Win team to me, if things go right. There’s just not enough talent, players are playing out of position and Bell will keep on with his little league style of trying to play every player in every game.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (02-17-2021)

I voted a D for dud and not F only because it could have been worse if they traded one of our actual assets along with a bad/mediocre contract to shed more salary. I do like some of the pitcher pickups: C. Perez, Hoffman, Doolittle.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Didn’t get busy living. F.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

10. Likes:

HokieRed (02-17-2021),REDREAD (02-17-2021)

It seems the Reds front office decided to audit this off season, so no grade is necessary.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Easiest F grade ever.
    Stick to your guns.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (02-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    D so far, for me.

I guess I see things slightly different because, in my mind, it's not only about the moves that were made (which, on their own, are an F so far)

Here's what keeps me from an F:

- The compensation pick for Bauer. There was a very real scenario where he took a straight 1 year deal and kept the Reds from that pick

- The health of Hunter Greene. He was seen as a generational talent when he was drafted and just turned 21. He's easy triple digits as a starter and can shoot to the top of prospect lists very quickly
    Neither of these things are the Reds doing. Just because a guest comes into my restaurant and eats a delicious Ham Sandwich that they made at home due to no one waiting on them, I sure as hell don’t get a star for the ham sandwich tasting great. I’m dealing with an angry guest who won’t come back. I don’t understand how any of the above can be credited to the Reds. Someone else signed their Cy Young pitcher and their #1 pick from a few years back is now healthy, we win!

15. Likes:

mth123 (02-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I voted a D for dud and not F only because it could have been worse if they traded one of our actual assets along with a bad/mediocre contract to shed more salary. I do like some of the pitcher pickups: C. Perez, Hoffman, Doolittle.
    One could argue that this scenario would actually be better. At least it would be a clear direction.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    Neither of these things are the Reds doing. Just because a guest comes into my restaurant and eats a delicious Ham Sandwich that they made at home due to no one waiting on them, I sure as hell don’t get a star for the ham sandwich tasting great. I’m dealing with an angry guest who won’t come back. I don’t understand how any of the above can be credited to the Reds. Someone else signed their Cy Young pitcher and their #1 pick from a few years back is now healthy, we win!
    1. It's my grade. I'm entitled to mine just as you are entitled to yours

2. To me, "Grade the Reds' Offseason", means far more than things that are in the Reds' control

3. I wish your restaurant great success

18. Likes:

tripleaaaron (02-18-2021),wolfboy (02-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    I said "D-" but not 100% failure. Let's hope the spring is better for this team.
    That's essentially where I stand.

They didn't do anything breathtakingly stupid that could hurt the franchise long-term, which saved them from an "F".

If Reds had found a way to get a decent starting MLB shortstop this poll would be much different.

Hard to understand. I keep expecting that acquisition because the need seems so obvious. So now their fans are debating whether Reds get a D or an F for the off-season.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-17-2021 at 09:30 PM.

21. Likes:

REDREAD (02-17-2021),Revering4Blue (02-17-2021)

D or F does not matter as both are considered failing grades.

The Reds are the student that says they are doing the work, but never show at office hours, never participates in class discussion and then wants to know why they got a failing grade. You know, they worked reeeaaallly hard at getting a shortstop.

23. Likes:

REDREAD (02-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    One could argue that this scenario would actually be better. At least it would be a clear direction.
    What’s your argument for that being better? I guess I’d rather tread water than go ahead and drown.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

I think now it's obvious why Dick Williams didn't come back. And it had nothing to do with real estate.

My guess is last year the Reds stretched their budget beyond it's means,and then Covid happened, and it ended up being a disaster. I think multiple owners on the board through a fit, and this offseason is the result of that.

If you think it's ugly now, just wait and see what happens if this team starts slow. If the team starts slow and a few guys are playing well (Gray, Suarez, Moose Castellanos, Winker etc...) they will all be dealt. And you'll be back at the beginning of a 4 year rebuild schedule. Meaning, you won't sniff .500 again until 2024.

26. Likes:

BillDoran (02-19-2021),REDREAD (02-17-2021)

Turn Off Ads?