Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fans in the stands in MLB in 2021?

Fans in the stands in MLB in 2021?

sorry if this has already been discussed; i missed it if so.

where do things stand with having fans at MLB games in 2021? I see no reason they can't do at least what the NFL did and have a limit of ~12K fans per game. keep everyone socially distanced and masked up.

furthermore, is there any evidence of any fan getting the virus while attending a sporting event? especially one that is held outdoors with proper protocols in place?

anyway, hopefully we can have fans in the stands this season. would seem to be something everyone would want (players, management, fans).

2. Likes:

REDREAD (02-18-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fans in the stands in MLB in 2021?

I got an email from the Reds trying to sell me Spring Training tickets so I'm thinking the regular season is a go as well?
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

5. Likes:

REDREAD (02-18-2021)

I just bought tickets for three Spring Training games. So there will at least be me in the stands. Can't wait!

7. Likes:

REDREAD (02-18-2021)

that's great news. i did not expect fans at spring training games. i was talking about the regular season. but that's great news because if they're having fans for spring training games, they must be having fans for regular season games.

9. Likes:

REDREAD (02-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post

where do things stand with having fans at MLB games in 2021? I see no reason they can't do at least what the NFL did and have a limit of ~12K fans per game. keep everyone socially distanced and masked up.

furthermore, is there any evidence of any fan getting the virus while attending a sporting event? especially one that is held outdoors with proper protocols in place?

anyway, hopefully we can have fans in the stands this season. would seem to be something everyone would want (players, management, fans).
    I hope so.
    I want to go to a ballgame

How much of it is baseball’s decision snd how much depends on state/local governments?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post

The answer to this is a resounding NO, but in the current world of politics, you never know. No team is going to want to be the first to "open it up" because it'll be a Twitter/PR nightmare. Unfortunately that's the world we live in.

But based on the science, there should be fans.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (02-18-2021),RedsFanInMS (02-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    How much of it is baseball’s decision snd how much depends on state/local governments?
    i don't know, but if they follow the NFL's lead, it would be up to the state/local governments. i remember dewine announcing there could initially be 6K fans at NFL games and then he bumped it up to 12K. so, reds don't have to worry about him getting in the way, which is another good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    I just bought tickets for three Spring Training games. So there will at least be me in the stands. Can't wait!
    Had a meeting with a Reds representative the other day. No plan from MLB on this as of yet.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (02-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer22 View Post
    But based on the science, there should be fans.
    Can I read this science?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Can I read this science?
    I could link 1,000 articles but you probably have access to Google.

NCAAF and the NFL made it through their seasons, with limited attendance and no trace of positive cases resulting from it.

It is very, very rare to get Covid outside, especially with a mask on - which I'm assuming teams will require to cover the PR side of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer22 View Post
    I could link 1,000 articles but you probably have access to Google.

NCAAF and the NFL made it through their seasons, with limited attendance and no trace of positive cases resulting from it.

It is very, very rare to get Covid outside, especially with a mask on - which I'm assuming teams will require to cover the PR side of things.
    Not gonna spend all day googling but this is the first thing I found in my search:

Sporting Events Can Spark Covid Outbreaks, CDC Finds

The study is one of the first to research Covid-19 at sporting events, though scattered reports have emerged nationwide: dozens of people tested positive after a July football game in Kentucky, and 52 cases were reported after an Iowa baseball tournament.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewals...h=669818143d2d

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Can I read this science?
    I think common sense might apply. Science says that beyond 3 feet is what people should stand (6 is the standard now but 3 has been proven to be just as effective). So in a stadium that seats 40k I think pretty much anyone can agree that things can be done to keep somewhere between 5000 and 15000 away from each other enough to satisfy the 6 foot going standard. I think common sense says that several thousand can be social distanced in a stadium. There are programs that have been created that literally tell stadium operators how to sit people so that no one is closer than that unless they are in a common group...so yeah I think there is plenty of science that says that.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52522460
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

21. Likes:

GAC (02-20-2021)

As long as there is adequate social distancing and masks, there should be no issue with having a certain number of fans in attendance - of course as more are vaccinated, the numbers in attendance should be able to go up.

NY has allowed 10% attendance at games as of now - https://www.mlb.com/news/new-york-st...h-limited-fans.

If Tampa Bay gets 10% attendance, they'll likely set attendance records. And the Reds won't be too far behind with those numbers.

I went to a WS game last October. Can't imagine they're going to stop allowing fans in the stands given that they started allowing fans last fall.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (02-22-2021)

Turn Off Ads?