Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fans in the stands in MLB in 2021?

Re: Fans in the stands in MLB in 2021?

Dr. Anthony Fauci is optimistic Major League Baseball will be able to safely host fans during games this season.

Appearing on ESPN's Baseball Tonight podcast with Buster Olney (h/t ESPN.com), Fauci believes there's a "pretty good chance" of getting fans back into the ballpark.

He also expressed hope for a "full season," though he did caution that fans in the stands would "maybe not (be) right next to each other" at least early in the year while the COVID-19 vaccine is still in the early stages of being rolled out.

As for when full-stadium attendance might be allowed, Fauci was unable to offer a specific date or timeline. The chief medical advisor to President Joe Biden noted that would likely require, as ESPN wrote, "75-80 percent of the population being vaccinated with the rate of infection staying very low."
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...021-mlb-season

2. Turn Off Ads?

So the way it stands now .... I won't be able to watch any games because of the "situation" with the RSNs .... and I may/may not be able to attend games this season.

As a retiree, you're making this very easy for me MLB. Started listening to the games with my Dad and Grandpa on the radio. Have no problem now, being the old guy, in continuing that tradition.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

4. Likes:

Chip R (02-23-2021),cumberlandreds (02-22-2021),LeDoux (03-05-2021),MoneyInTheBank (02-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    I went ahead and linked this. This guy is honestly the most intelligent person I have ever heard speak. He is well known in the biotech industry... MD from Harvard, MIT graduate also

Anyway he made prediction using data that we would have herd immunity by Feb. Here is the link

https://insights.eventideinvestments...avirus-part-vi
    Was it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    So the way it stands now .... I won't be able to watch any games because of the "situation" with the RSNs .... and I may/may not be able to attend games this season.

As a retiree, you're making this very easy for me MLB. Started listening to the games with my Dad and Grandpa on the radio. Have no problem now, being the old guy, in continuing that tradition.
    so, we're losing the young people ... AND the people of a certain age crowd.

well done, MLB. good job. good effort.

EDIT: sorry, i misread. you're not saying you're giving up baseball, you just might get your fix via the radio and not tv. i hear ya.

frankly, sometimes just following along with the live box score is enough for me.

7. Likes:

GAC (02-21-2021),REDREAD (02-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    so, we're losing the young people ... AND the people of a certain age crowd.

well done, MLB. good job. good effort.

EDIT: sorry, i misread. you're not saying you're giving up baseball, you just might get your fix via the radio and not tv. i hear ya.

frankly, sometimes just following along with the live box score is enough for me.
    I'm just tired of it all, beginning with Disney, Sinclair, and all the rest involved in that convoluted "network" (regional, national, whatever) playing us like idiots, jumping here, jumping there, digging deeper into the consumer pocket, just to watch a friggin baseball game. I'm not doing it any more. And at some point, down the line, they're going to pay the price.

As the business model of the MLB continues to incentivize investing in creating more corporate connections rather than prioritizing the quality of baseball on the diamond, fans become the biggest losers. Coca-Cola canceling its sponsorship with the MLB for the 2020 season is simply a grim microcosm of what is to come if the power players in baseball don’t get back to catering to the fans that drive the industry forward. Once fans stop tuning in, the economic system of baseball collapses

https://dailycampus.com/2020/11/04/b...e-sustainable/
    Last edited by GAC; 02-21-2021 at 05:15 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

9. Likes:

JFLegal (02-21-2021),REDREAD (02-22-2021)

IŽm pretty sure that (limited) fans in the stadium can work. Social distancing is possible in the stadium if there is a reasonable limit of fans. The problem I see is that big groups of people tend to ignore social distancing at a certain point.

you just need to watch a game with fans in attendance and youŽll spot multiple people without a mask or with a mask under the nose etc... People standing in line (for example for the restrooms) are closer than they should be..
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

11. Likes:

Chip R (02-23-2021),MoneyInTheBank (02-22-2021)

@TrevorPetersTV
    BREAKING: Gov. DeWine is aiming for 30% capacity across the state for baseball, soccer stadium capacity. An announcement will come later. Says he has spoken to the Reds, Indians, minor-league teams about their plans.

"The target figure, we think, will be 30%, with masks"
    @FOX19

13. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-22-2021)

That would be about 12,000 fans.

Or fairly average turnout from 2013-2019.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    That would be about 12,000 fans.

Or fairly average turnout from 2013-2019.
    Many nights less than that if the Reds are being honest in their actual attendance figures. With mask mandates out we will have to see actual attendance numbers now.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Many nights less than that if the Reds are being honest in their actual attendance figures. With mask mandates out we will have to see actual attendance numbers now.
    @jluckhaupt

30% capacity at GABP is about 12,600 fans. Reds drew under that 8 times in 2019.

17. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-22-2021)

When the Major League Baseball, minor league baseball and Major League Soccer seasons begin in April, Ohio teams could have up to 30% capacity at home games, Gov. Mike DeWine said Monday.

That means the Columbus Crew, FC Cincinnati, Cleveland Indians, Cincinnati Reds and six Ohio minor league baseball teams could all have spectators at the start of their 2021 seasons.

DeWine said he spoke to the Indians and Reds last week and will be speaking this week to all minor-league teams in the state to go over the plan. But DeWine cautioned that all teams must come up with plans that have mask mandates and proper social distancing protocols before approved to allow fans.

The full announcement is expected Thursday, DeWine said.
    The Columbus Dispatch

The Reds may be able to have 30% fan capacity for Opening Day

https://www.redlegnation.com/2021/02...r-opening-day/

The Cincinnati Reds have not announced anything yet as far as things go for Opening Day with regards to having fans in the stands. The decision isn’t up to them. But one of the people that it is up to, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine said that he expects baseball season to start with 30% capacity for fans in the stands, according to The Athletic’s C. Trent Rosecrans.

Great American Ballpark holds abot 43,000 people. 30% of 43,000 is 12,900. I know what you’re thinking, funny reader, “so things as normal for most of the season! HAHAHA”, but no, that isn’t quite the average attendance – even in the bad years at Great American Ballpark. For Opening Day, that is certainly going to feel like no one is at the ballpark, but that number shouldn’t feel THAT FAR from a typical early season weekday game, either. Hopefully that number gets larger as the season goes along, too, as more vaccines get out, numbers of infections go down, and we get closer to back to normal.

- - - Updated - - -

If they Reds get to 50% by say June/July how much,if any revenue are they going to end up losing next year? Probably not nearly as much as some are claiming.

Last year was the first summer that I went without going to at least one Reds game since 1963, when I was 9 years old. I'm looking forward to watching Reds baseball in person again, sure have missed it.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-23-2021 at 12:50 AM.

21. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-23-2021),757690 (02-23-2021),CaiGuy (02-23-2021),Chip R (02-23-2021),JFLegal (02-23-2021),NebraskaRed (02-23-2021)

Down in Florida, the rules are have on a mask as you enter stadium, but once you are at your seat, because of social distancing seating, masks do not have to be worn.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

23. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-23-2021)

my goodness, opening day tix on the secondary market are going to be through the roof.

Turn Off Ads?