Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tyler Naquin signed to minor league deal

Re: Tyler Naquin signed to minor league deal

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Naquin and Aquino were both really bad in really limited 2020 ABs, but "earned" is a bit of a misnomer.

Either has historically been a fine spare OF and more. Both are 100 OPS+ players who have shown the capability to play more than one OF position.

Were I Aquino, I'd grab my 1B mitt-- even if I were a far superior defensive player than Castellanos or Winker. It could really come in handy. Were I Naquin, I'd do the same. And try my hand at 2B. (Because it seems like every Joe Schmo can play 2B.)
    Aquino has never even played a full major league season, both players didn’t do well last year. They have ability but neither are sure shots for a major league spot at this point.

Aquino is out of options, so he has an edge, but that's why neither has earned a spot on this roster IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I'm not AS concerned with Nyquin's injuries since most of them had to do with crashing into walls (he has claimed to be dedicated to fixing that) then last year was a foul ball off a big toe. Nice pickup
    Naquin had a hip problem that dated all the way back to college that he finally got fixed in '18. Required some pins etc. '19 was much more of a return towards his rookie season performance and who can put much faith in '20's #'s given all the COVID stuff. He is no center fielder, but is good in right and could be healthy for a change. Well worth the invite. Line drive type power that should play well in GABP if he makes the team.

4. Likes:

Mitri (02-21-2021),MoneyInTheBank (02-21-2021),mth123 (02-21-2021),REDREAD (02-22-2021),Revering4Blue (02-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    I actually think Naquin will be the 5th outfielder, I think Aquino will be traded for some low level prospects
    Agreed. Despite Aquino's great showing in 2019, the Reds haven't really treated him a like a legitimate prospect.
    I'm not saying the Reds are wrong, but I would not be surprised if Aquino was released at the end of spring training.
    The Reds have gathered up a few other journeymen that are 5th OF candidates too.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Plays third and first base, actually has over 1100 big league PAs, was with Royals primarily, played in one game for Chisox last season. Lifetime OPS of .678.

Minor league contract pickup by Reds.

Name is Cheslor Cuthbert.
    BTW, Cheslor Cuthbert has a good lifetime record against LHP. His career line in 336 PAs against LHP is .289/.333/.454/.787. He could be a caddy for Votto, allowing Joey to rest some against LHP. One alternative for Reds among many.

His good hitting against lefties probably explains Reds signing of Cuthbert.

7. Likes:

M2 (02-22-2021),Mitri (02-22-2021),mth123 (02-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    BTW, Cheslor Cuthbert has a good lifetime record against LHP. His career line in 336 PAs against LHP is .289/.333/.454/.787. He could be a caddy for Votto, allowing Joey to rest some against LHP. One alternative for Reds among many.

His good hitting against lefties probably explains Reds signing of Cuthbert.
    Just rummaging through the math on which position players make the roster:

- My assumptions until something different happens are that there will be 26-man rosters, the NL will have the DH and Garcia will be the SS. All of that could change, but that's where I'm at in terms of what's most likely.

- Also got to assume they'll carry 13 pitchers.

- That would mean 10 spots are locked: Barnhart, Stephenson, Votto, Moustakas, Garcia (or a late SS acquisition), Suarez, Shogo, Senzel, Castellanos and Winker.

- The front runners for the three remaining slots would seem to be Aquino, Farmer and Gordon. Aquino can play across the OF, can play against LHPs and maybe he catches some lightning in a bottle. Farmer can cover the IF and catcher. Gordon can give them cover in the middle IF and across the OF on top of being a PH/PR. That's probably their most versatile mix.

- Cuthbert would seem to be competition for Farmer as an IF who can give them production against LHPs, and I agree he could snag that role. Naquin might be a guy who jumps in to cover injuries or who lurks on the reserve roster if they have that this season.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?