Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tyler Naquin signed to minor league deal

Tyler Naquin signed to minor league deal

Cincinnati Reds
    @Reds
    The #Reds have agreed to terms with on a minor league contract and invited to major league spring training OF Tyler Naquin.
    Pretty up and down career but some on RZ really liked this guy for a while.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Likes:

cincinnati chili (02-20-2021),Gallen5862 (02-18-2021),Ron Madden (02-18-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tyler Naquin signed to minor league deal

Good move. Probably better than Goodwin for way less.

5. Likes:

DocRed (02-18-2021),Gallen5862 (02-18-2021),ochoa30 (02-18-2021),Ron Madden (02-18-2021)

Career 105 Rc+ vs. RHP and a good defender in RF, can play CF. Not a bad guy to have on the bench, I like him better than Payton and Gordon.

Maybe there's a trade brewing?

7. Likes:

DocRed (02-18-2021)

We have 4 outfielders vying for 3 spots. Not going to be much extra playing time available. I'd prefer to see him in AAA to start the season, rather than lose someone on the 40 just to watch him sit. Plus his 2020 numbers have "prove it at AAA" written all over it to me.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Career 105 Rc+ vs. RHP and a good defender in RF, can play CF. Not a bad guy to have on the bench, I like him better than Payton and Gordon.

Maybe there's a trade brewing?
    What do we have to add to Shogo to get Solano or Dubon from the Giants?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    What do we have to add to Shogo to get Solano or Dubon from the Giants?
    I think you're asking the wrong guy aka Numero Uno Shogo Fan.

11. Likes:

M2 (02-18-2021)

I think this is the low point of the off-season. Naquin had a great rookie year that distorts his career stats. Once it was figured out he is a low ball hitter that can't hit a fastball up, he has been flat out bad. Defensively he is ok in right, but poor in center. Sure, it is only a minor league deal, but why?

13. Likes:

REDREAD (02-19-2021)

I like this move. Makes Aquino, Payton, et al expendable. Opens the team to make a deal. Maybe Winker for a SS. Shogo in LF, Naquin as 4th OF.

How about Winker for Rosario, Sam Hentges and Bryan Rocchio.

I don't like dealing Winker and would prefer to deal Castellanos, but I don't see anyone taking Castellanos.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I like this move. Makes Aquino, Payton, et al expendable. Opens the team to make a deal. Maybe Winker for a SS. Shogo in LF, Naquin as 4th OF.

How about Winker for Rosario, Sam Hentges and Bryan Rocchio.

I don't like dealing Winker and would prefer to deal Castellanos, but I don't see anyone taking Castellanos.
    I should note that Naquin, in addition to his poor past performance, is often injured. Perhaps he can stay healthy if mostly on the bench as a 4th. With Cleveland adding Eddie Rosario, they would not be interested in a DH/LF.

I do like the approach of targeting Cleveland's excess of middle infielders and pitchers though. Rocchio is a top 100 prospect I doubt Cleveland deals, but they have others they will need to deal soon as they will have a roster crunch next year adding all their young talent ready for rule 5. Hentges would be available and was throwing 99 or so at the alt site, but he is likely a late inning reliever.

16. Likes:

REDREAD (02-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I think you're asking the wrong guy aka Numero Uno Shogo Fan.
    I'm kind of a fan too but that doesn't mean a deal might not be possible or wise here. Giants arguably have most depth at middle infield in the NL and have been looking for a left-handed hitting center fielder. I think they are a possible match.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I should note that Naquin, in addition to his poor past performance, is often injured. Perhaps he can stay healthy if mostly on the bench as a 4th. With Cleveland adding Eddie Rosario, they would not be interested in a DH/LF.

I do like the approach of targeting Cleveland's excess of middle infielders and pitchers though. Rocchio is a top 100 prospect I doubt Cleveland deals, but they have others they will need to deal soon as they will have a roster crunch next year adding all their young talent ready for rule 5. Hentges would be available and was throwing 99 or so at the alt site, but he is likely a late inning reliever.
    You are probably right. I don't see a match. The REds can't really trade Senzel and that's probably who Cleveland wants. I don't thikthe REds OF is viable withoyr Senzel. Shogo isn't a CF and teh other guys aren't really OF at all. Probably need a deal to another team. The White Sox could use Winker, but they don't have a SS to spare.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Man. I *just* got over my Cam Bedrosian hangover.

But duty calls....

Once more into the breach, dear friends..
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (02-19-2021),tripleaaaron (02-19-2021)

You are probably right. I don't see a match. The REds can't really trade Senzel and that's probably who Cleveland wants. I don't thikthe REds OF is viable withoyr Senzel. Shogo isn't a CF and teh other guys aren't really OF at all. Probably need a deal to another team. The White Sox could use Winker, but they don't have a SS to spare.
    Shogo actually is a CF, that is where he primarily played and won multiple gold gloves in Japan. I’m sure he’s not fast enough anymore to be an elite defensive CF, but he’s absolutely a CF.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

22. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-18-2021)

I actually think this is a solid signing. But the Reds might have Dee Gordon play SS....so I hate this move.

Mazara would have been a good sign. Better numbers, consistency and youth than Naquin, but he cost Detroit 1.75. Not sure Reds FO would have splurged if interested. Could have made Winker expendable though.

Cleveland would be interested in Senzel, of course, given they will be trying Mercado (whom still has a chance) and Zimmer (little chance) once more in CF with Billy waiting in AAA. They could provide a good package of young talent (they have 17 prospects rated 45 and up by FG), but if the Reds have intentions of contending this year with the vets they have, they should just keep Senzel. Another year of struggles though and his value plummets.

25. Likes:

REDREAD (02-19-2021)

Turn Off Ads?