Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tyler Naquin signed to minor league deal

Re: Tyler Naquin signed to minor league deal

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Shogo actually is a CF, that is where he primarily played and won multiple gold gloves in Japan. I’m sure he’s not fast enough anymore to be an elite defensive CF, but he’s absolutely a CF.
    But he didn't look like he was a solid defensive CF last year. He couldn't cover enough ground and if he's in between Winker and Castellanos, there is no way it works. Cleveland wouldn't take him beciase of his money. That leaves Senzel. Rosario, Hentges and Rocchio for Senzel is probably fair, but the Reds just can't do it IMO unless they deal Winker too and get abetter corner OF in return.

Ken Griffey Jr. was a multiple tome gold glover as well, but in 2004 he was teh worst OF I ever saw trying to cover CF.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I should note that Naquin, in addition to his poor past performance, is often injured
    I'm not AS concerned with Nyquin's injuries since most of them had to do with crashing into walls (he has claimed to be dedicated to fixing that) then last year was a foul ball off a big toe. Nice pickup

4. Likes:

Gallen5862 (02-19-2021),Old school 1983 (02-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    But he didn't look like he was a solid defensive CF last year. He couldn't cover enough ground and if he's in between Winker and Castellanos, there is no way it works. Cleveland wouldn't take him beciase of his money.
    Depends on how much money the Reds would be willing to eat

But he didn't look like he was a solid defensive CF last year. He couldn't cover enough ground and if he's in between Winker and Castellanos, there is no way it works. Cleveland wouldn't take him beciase of his money. That leaves Senzel. Rosario, Hentges and Rocchio for Senzel is probably fair, but the Reds just can't do it IMO unless they deal Winker too and get abetter corner OF in return.

Ken Griffey Jr. was a multiple tome gold glover as well, but in 2004 he was teh worst OF I ever saw trying to cover CF.
    Shogo played 134.2 innings in CF in 2020 and had a positive DRS at +1 and 3.3 UZR/150

Not remotely comparable to a 34 year old broken down from many injuries Griffey Jr. in 2004 Griffey had a -14 DRS and -39.7 UZR/150

I get it, you don’t like Shogo, but he’s not as bad as you think he is.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

7. Likes:

DocRed (02-18-2021),M2 (02-18-2021),Mitri (02-18-2021),Old school 1983 (02-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    I'm not AS concerned with Nyquin's injuries since most of them had to do with crashing into walls (he has claimed to be dedicated to fixing that) then last year was a foul ball off a big toe. Nice pickup
    I've followed Naquin since he was drafted. A long list of injuries, sure many self inflicted, but those add up: broken hand, 2 concussions, broken ribs, bad lower back, bad hip, torn acl etc. Indians had the worst outfield in baseball last year and still nontendered him. I hope he is healthy as I like him as a player on a personal level, but I have zero expectations for him at this point. The success he has had beyond his rookie year has been as a right field platoon bat. I view him as AAA depth.

9. Likes:

DocRed (02-18-2021)

I think that might go for literally every Red defender mth talks about.

He's convinced the defense is full of lumbering oafs.

None of the metrics support that judgment, but he keeps saying it.

11. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I've followed Naquin since he was drafted. A long list of injuries, sure many self inflicted, but those add up: broken hand, 2 concussions, broken ribs, bad lower back, bad hip, torn acl etc. Indians had the worst outfield in baseball last year and still nontendered him. I hope he is healthy as I like him as a player on a personal level, but I have zero expectations for him at this point. The success he has had beyond his rookie year has been as a right field platoon bat. I view him as AAA depth.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting him to start or even make the team

As far as the injuries go, I'm more concerned about being "injury prone" when it's soft tissue injuries (calf, hamstring, oblique) but missing that much time is never good. I'll agree with you there.

Shogo played 134.2 innings in CF in 2020 and had a positive DRS at +1 and 3.3 UZR/150

Not remotely comparable to a 34 year old broken down from many injuries Griffey Jr. in 2004 Griffey had a -14 DRS and -39.7 UZR/150

I actually like Shogo. I just don't think the Reds can line up with him in CF between Winker and Casteallanos. If the had one corner OF who was a solid defender, we could live with Shogo in Cf, otherwise, I think we need Senzel's range out there. They need to trade Winker or Castellanos to get what they need. I don't thnk dealing Senzel makes any sense, and it doesn't make sense to deal Shogo and eat moeny IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I think that might go for literally every Red defender mth talks about.

He's convinced the defense is full of lumbering oafs.

None of the metrics support that judgment, but he keeps saying it.
    They are lumbering oafs. At 1b, 2B, 3b, LF and RF. Shogo is a plus defender in LF. In RF, his arm is a liability. In CF, his range looks short to me.Moose is a good defender at 3B, but he's not playoing 3B. He's playing a position he shouldn't play. Suarez has steadily gone downhill. I;m willing to see if hhe rebounds this year. He's easily the most upside on offense. Votto isn't very good and really has never been. Winker and Casteallanos just aren't guys who can play defense.
    Last edited by mth123; 02-18-2021 at 06:10 PM.

They are lumbering oafs. At 1b, 2B, 3b, LF and RF. Shogo is a plus defender in LF. In RF, his arm is a liability. In CF, his range looks short to me.
    Right.

Except that's not what Statcast says at all.

According to Statcast:

Moustakas is average at 2B.

Suarez has graded out as slightly above average to well above average defensively the past four years.

Until last year's 60-game sprint, Votto was a league average 1B.

Akiyama is slightly above average as a defender across the OF.

Last year, Winker graded out as one run below average in his (limited) innings as a LF. He has a history of being poor, but has shown a fairly clear improvement arc.

Castellanos did indeed suck in the OF last season. The year before, he was slightly better, though still below average.

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-18-2021),M2 (02-18-2021),Ron Madden (02-18-2021)

Votto isn't very good and really has never been.
    I've gotta push back on this one. Based on what? He had a bad 2020 and a bad 2016 but, otherwise, has not been bad at all

18. Likes:

ochoa30 (02-18-2021),Ron Madden (02-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Right.

Except that's not what Statcast says at all.

According to Statcast:

Moustakas is average at 2B.

Suarez has graded out as slightly above average to well above average defensively the past four years.

Until last year's 60-game sprint, Votto was a league average 1B.

Akiyama is slightly above average as a defender across the OF.

Last year, Winker graded out as one run below average in his (limited) innings as a LF. He has a history of being poor, but has shown a fairly clear improvement arc.

Castellanos did indeed suck in the OF last season. The year before, he was slightly better, though still below average.
    Explains why the Reds were 6th in MLB in DER.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Naquin's an interesting depth signing. When he's on, he's a pretty good bench player.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

21. Likes:

DocRed (02-20-2021),Gallen5862 (02-19-2021),JFLegal (02-19-2021),Old school 1983 (02-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Naquin's an interesting depth signing. When he's on, he's a pretty good bench player.
    yeah i like this one. could be a good 5th outfielder if someone gets hurt or traded out of the current top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    yeah i like this one. could be a good 5th outfielder if someone gets hurt or traded out of the current top 5.
    He's probably better than the current 5th guy group of Aquino, Payton, Smith and Delmonico. I'm thinking he makes the team. As a lefty bat, he makes a pretty good fit as a caddy for Castellanos in RF and another lefty bat on the bench doesn't hurt.

I'm guessing we'll see an OF trade or maybe two.

Turn Off Ads?