Thread: Tyler Naquin signed to minor league deal

Re: Tyler Naquin signed to minor league deal

2017 me is stoked.

2. Likes:

Bill (02-19-2021),M2 (02-19-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    He's probably better than the current 5th guy group of Aquino, Payton, Smith and Delmonico. I'm thinking he makes the team. As a lefty bat, he makes a pretty good fit as a caddy for Castellanos in RF and another lefty bat on the bench doesn't hurt.

I'm guessing we'll see an OF trade or maybe two.
    i'm putting aquino just ahead of naquin as the #5 outfielder entering spring. that could absolutely change (and i love having competition/depth), but here's how i see it right now as far as the reds' best outfielders in order:

1. castellanos
    2. winker
    3. senzel
    4. shogo
    [big drop from 4-to-5...]
    5. aquino
    6. naquin

He's probably better than the current 5th guy group of Aquino, Payton, Smith and Delmonico. I'm thinking he makes the team. As a lefty bat, he makes a pretty good fit as a caddy for Castellanos in RF and another lefty bat on the bench doesn't hurt.

I'm guessing we'll see an OF trade or maybe two.
    Against RHP Reds OPS’d .733 last year. Against LHP it was .667.

Preliminarily, if there’s a fifth OFer my preference would be a RHH if possible.

If Shogo is fourth OFer, Reds already have a good extra LHH right there.

And Strange-Gordon is presumably the lefty hitting utility man filling in around the diamond.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-19-2021 at 05:36 PM.

6. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Against RHP Reds OPS’d .733 last year. Against LHP it was .667.

Preliminarily, if there’s a fifth OFer my preference would be a RHH if possible.

If Shogo is fourth OFer, Reds already have a good extra LHH right there.

And Strange-Gordon is presumably the lefty hitting utility man filling in around the diamond.
    But Shogo can't play RF. The Reds need a RF who can play RF, even if it's just a late inning replacement. Winker and Casteallanos can't Aquino was a big disappointment on defense as much as offense.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

REDREAD (02-22-2021)

But Shogo can't play RF. The Reds need a RF who can play RF, even if it's just a late inning replacement. Winker and Casteallanos can't Aquino was a big disappointment on defense as much as offense.
    The Reds couldn’t hit their way out of a barn last year. Against lefties they couldn’t hit their way out of a shoe box. That’s the primary concern IMO, not optimizing backup defensive RF.

Bell usually sticks with Cast anyway, and most other Reds OFers whether Shogo or Aquino or whomever can play decent enough RF.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-20-2021 at 01:12 AM.

But Shogo can't play RF.
    That's not even remotely true. Where are you even getting that from?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

DocRed (02-20-2021),MikeS21 (02-22-2021),OGB (03-01-2021),Old school 1983 (02-20-2021),Ron Madden (02-20-2021),Tom Servo (02-20-2021),Wonderful Monds (02-20-2021)

Unless Aquino demonstrates he is completely lost in spring training (a real possibility), then he is my 5th OF heading into the season. I wish we could find the guy who re-worked Wily Mo Pena's contract so we could send Aquino to AAA. He needs at bats.

I'd be playing him a LOT in ST if I was Bell/Krall. For evaluation purposes.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

13. Likes:

HokieRed (02-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    It’s seriously so bizarre.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Have you watched him throw? He covers ground perfectly well, but his arm is pretty weak. Not made for RF. He's certainly the best choice on the current roster, but absence of adequate choices doesn't make him good out there.

I'd just like to see the Reds get one player who doesn't have huge holes in his game. They don't have to be All Stars at anything, but I'm really tired of all of these half players either all bat with no defense or speed or all glove fleas or a few guys who can't do anything.

I will say that Shogo is probably the closest thing they have to that, but he's the fourth OF right now. I just hate how this team is constructed. Individually nobody is horrible and most of the main guys are useful or better in some capacity, but as a group, they just seem to be a poor fitting team whose weaknesses will stop them from getting above .500.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

16. Likes:

REDREAD (02-22-2021)

I actually think Naquin will be the 5th outfielder, I think Aquino will be traded for some low level prospects

18. Likes:

DocRed (02-20-2021),Mitri (02-20-2021),REDREAD (02-22-2021)

Have you watched him throw? He covers ground perfectly well, but his arm is pretty weak. Not made for RF. He's certainly the best choice on the current roster, but absence of adequate choices doesn't make him good out there.

I'd just like to see the Reds get one player who doesn't have huge holes in his game. They don't have to be All Stars at anything, but I'm really tired of all of these half players either all bat with no defense or speed or all glove fleas or a few guys who can't do anything.

I will say that Shogo is probably the closest thing they have to that, but he's the fourth OF right now. I just hate how this team is constructed. Individually nobody is horrible and most of the main guys are useful or better in some capacity, but as a group, they just seem to be a poor fitting team whose weaknesses will stop them from getting above .500.
    Yes, I've seen him throw. He's got a good arm.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

20. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-20-2021)

IMO, your expectations of defenders is sky high. If a guy is even an average defender, you declare him a total hack. Winker and Castellanos are not good defenders. No argument from me. Votto, for the most part, has been a plus defender. Suarez is average and Moose is average to below average at 2B. I just don't consider those 3 having "huge holes in their game"

Why can’t the reds have true 5 tool players at every position and on the bench? That’s what I find so frustrating
    What would you say.....ya do here?

23. Likes:

757690 (02-20-2021),M2 (02-20-2021),marcshoe (02-20-2021),Mitri (02-20-2021),Ron Madden (02-20-2021),Wonderful Monds (02-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Why can’t the reds have true 5 tool players at every position and on the bench? That’s what I find so frustrating
    Nobody said that but you.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I didn't watch as much Reds baseball as some of you did last year, so I don't have an "eyeball" judgment on Shogo's D quite yet. But I see way too many defensive metrics being thrown around on this site based on part-time players' performances in a 60-game season. Advanced defensive metrics aren't always reliable over a full 162 games. If you're telling me Shogo graded out as an approximately league average CF based on 134 innings (about 15 full games), that tells me zilch. If he had graded out near the top or the bottom, that would pique my interest, but I'd still be skeptical until we had a better body of data.

I want to see him in the lineup more often next year, regardless, based on his performance in the batters' box alone. The guy had a .274 on base percentage going into September 2. He finished at .357. That's remarkable. If his left field defense is truly as as elite as the small-sample numbers say he was, then leave the guy out there, put him at the top of the order against every RH starter, and let him do his thing. God knows we're going to need baserunners with this group of hackers.
    Stick to your guns.

26. Likes:

M2 (02-20-2021)

Turn Off Ads?