Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tyler Naquin signed to minor league deal

Re: Tyler Naquin signed to minor league deal

Shogo's arm looked pretty good out there. Certainly good enough that I'd put him in right on Castellanos' off days/DH time, without hesitation. Not sure I'd go through the trouble of switching him and Llanos permanently (we need to be careful not to bruise anyone's ego), but I feel comfortable with Akiyama handling all three OF positions.

Grading Shogo from the 50 or so games I watched with him last season, I'd say he's got a neutral range/arm but impeccable instincts and great hands. He just seemed to be positioned well every time the ball came his way and never missed a play.

I like the idea of Naquin getting the 5th OF spot over Aquino, and agree with mth that AA's defense has been disappointing. Naquin/Senzel/Shogo would give them 3 OF who can play all three spots in a pinch, plus Winker and Castellanos. Ideally they add the DH and Winker/Castellanos take the lion's share of reps there.

2. Likes:

Tom Servo (02-20-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Votto, Moose, Holder, Winker, Shogo, Barnhart, Naquin, Strange-Gordon are all LHH.

Reds won’t want 8 of 13 hitters to be left handed leaving only 5 RHH among position players. They couldn’t touch lefty pitching last season. Bell is focused on L/R percentages.

Something would change from that group, whether Naquin or another player or maybe two.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-20-2021 at 05:58 PM.

5. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-22-2021)

[QUOTE=Kc61;4209316]Votto, Moose, Holder, Winker, Shogo, Barnhart, Naquin, Strange-Gordon are all LHH.

I don’t think Reds will want 8 of 13 hitters to be left handed leaving only 5 RHH among position players. They couldn’t touch lefty pitching last season.

Something will change from that group. Could be Naquin or one or two others.[/QUOTE/]

I have the 13 players as:

Votto(L), Moose(L), Farmer(R), Suarez(R), Barnhart(L), Winker(L), Senzel(R), Castellanos(R)

backups:

C-Stevenson(R)
    SS/2b - Blandino(R)
    OF-Shogo(L), Naquin(L)
    1b/3b- Cuthbert(R) or waiver wire pickup

7. Likes:

mth123 (02-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post

I have the 13 players as:

Votto(L), Moose(L), Farmer(R), Suarez(R), Barnhart(L), Winker(L), Senzel(R), Castellanos(R)

backups:

C-Stevenson(R)
    SS/2b - Blandino(R)
    OF-Shogo(L), Naquin(L)
    1b/3b- Cuthbert(R) or waiver wire pickup
    Just from a L-R balance point of view, this would work better than the group in my post.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-20-2021 at 06:33 PM.

Who in the hell is Cuthbert?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    A dead saint from the 7th century, apparently. No word on if he can play short.

11. Likes:

757690 (02-20-2021),cincinnati chili (02-20-2021),Gandalf the Red (02-20-2021),M2 (02-20-2021),RedTeamGo! (02-20-2021)

Plays third and first base, actually has over 1100 big league PAs, was with Royals primarily, played in one game for Chisox last season. Lifetime OPS of .678.

Minor league contract pickup by Reds.

Name is Cheslor Cuthbert.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

The family that adopted Anne of Green Gables
    Stick to your guns.

14. Likes:

Old school 1983 (02-20-2021)

Someone who's never been in my kitchen.

16. Likes:

cincinnati chili (02-21-2021),MrRedSkull (02-21-2021),NebraskaRed (02-21-2021),OGB (03-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Votto, Moose, Holder, Winker, Shogo, Barnhart, Naquin, Strange-Gordon are all LHH.

Reds won’t want 8 of 13 hitters to be left handed leaving only 5 RHH among position players. They couldn’t touch lefty pitching last season. Bell is focused on L/R percentages.

Something would change from that group, whether Naquin or another player or maybe two.
    Personally hoping Strange-Gordon fails to make the team. He brings very little offense and even less defense except maybe at second base. Keep Blandino over him. Holder is no sure thing either. I'm not a fan of rushing Garcia, but lacking another acquisition he's the SS with Farmer on the bench IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

18. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-21-2021)

According to Fangraphs, Aquino is out of options.

Naquin has two options remaining.

If it’s a choice between them, that could be a factor.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-21-2021 at 08:49 AM.

According to Fangraphs, Aquino is out of options.

Naquin has two options remaining.

If it’s a choice between them, that could be a factor.
    It could be. I just think Naquin is the best position player they picked up this winter. Which is sad really.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

21. Likes:

REDREAD (02-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    It could be. I just think Naquin is the best position player they picked up this winter. Which is sad really.
    Last year both Aquino and Ervin were coming off strong seasons. The fifth OF spot was overstocked coming into ST. This year, it’s the opposite. There’s an extra OF spot with nobody having earned anything.

So it’ll come down to the best fit and roster management. ST showing, positional flexibility, handedness, minor league options, will all be a factor. It may not be the best player to begin, it may just be the best fit.

In Naquin’s case, with two minor league options, even if he’s sent down I’m sure he’ll be with the Reds at some point in the season. Nobody will have a lock on that spot for 162 games.

23. Likes:

mth123 (02-21-2021)

Last year both Aquino and Ervin were coming off strong seasons. The fifth OF spot was overstocked coming into ST.

This year, it’s the opposite. There’s an extra OF spot with nobody having earned anything.

So it’ll come down to the best fit and roster management. ST showing, positional flexibility, handedness, minor league options, will all be a factor.

It may not be the best player to begin, it may just be the best fit.

In Naquin’s case, with two minor league options, even if he’s sent down I’m sure he’ll be with the Reds at some point in the season. Nobody will have a lock on that spot for 162 games.
    Naquin and Aquino were both really bad in really limited 2020 ABs, but "earned" is a bit of a misnomer.

Either has historically been a fine spare OF and more. Both are 100 OPS+ players who have shown the capability to play more than one OF position.

Were I Aquino, I'd grab my 1B mitt-- even if I were a far superior defensive player than Castellanos or Winker. It could really come in handy. Were I Naquin, I'd do the same. And try my hand at 2B. (Because it seems like every Joe Schmo can play 2B.)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Personally hoping Strange-Gordon fails to make the team. He brings very little offense and even less defense except maybe at second base. Keep Blandino over him. Holder is no sure thing either. I'm not a fan of rushing Garcia, but lacking another acquisition he's the SS with Farmer on the bench IMO.
    Yep, just roll with Farmer and Blandino until the kid is ready. Instead of trying to have a lefty hitting shortstop, they can always pinch hit for one of these guys in a run scoring situation and bring the other off the bench next inning. Blandino has some on base skills. I’d start him and bring Farmer off the bench later

Turn Off Ads?