Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheres Scooter?

Wheres Scooter?

Does anyone know if Scooter Gennett has retired? Two seasons ago he was wrapping up the second of plus .850 OPS seasons at the age of 28. He has a severe groin injury in camp and misses most of that season and then doesn't play at all last year. At age 30 I'm shocked that if he wanted to play someone wouldn't give him a shot to see if he has anything left in the tank.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wheres Scooter?

He seemed to be holding out for a certain opportunity (ie: guaranteed) and a certain amount of money, which I don't think is going how he expected. I think if he wants to keep playing he's gotta take a fairly standard minor league deal with incentives somewhere.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-18-2021),bm1475 (02-18-2021),Old school 1983 (02-18-2021),Revering4Blue (02-18-2021),Spider Tre (02-19-2021)

If I were the Reds, I’d jump on it. Low risk. High reward. Imagine him as a bench bat...or a fill in if a guy goes down.

6. Likes:

goreds2 (02-19-2021)

Why not? maybe he can play SS
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    If I were the Reds, I’d jump on it. Low risk. High reward. Imagine him as a bench bat...or a fill in if a guy goes down.
    Pass. The Reds already do an adequate job of wasting valuable roster spots.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

9. Likes:

HammerTime (03-22-2021)

I'd be totally cool with him at AAA and not on 40 man roster. I just think he thinks he shouldn't have to go there.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Wherever he is he's inhabited by a 90 year old ex-player

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/...rs/5613258002/

Attachment 17004

12. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-02-2021),1990worldchamps (03-29-2021),BillDoran (03-04-2021),Bob Sheed (03-04-2021),dfs (03-02-2021),GAC (03-03-2021),loudangry (03-04-2021),RedRoser (03-04-2021),Tom Servo (03-04-2021)

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Pass. The Reds already do an adequate job of wasting valuable roster spots.
    ...and Scooter would be a better choice for some of those roster spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    ...and Scooter would be a better choice for some of those roster spots.
    I cannot lie. Every time the reds needed a base hit he was there. Pure clutch.

15. Likes:

goreds2 (03-22-2021)

What a strange trajectory. Gennett was great in 2017 and 2018. Then struggled/was hurt in 2019, didn't play in 2020. And now he's gone.

I suspect there's more to the story. He has gone on the record as a respect guy, so I could see him standing his ground if the money isn't what he thinks it should be. Injuries could still be lingering. He may have lost something. I think he had a pretty limited skillset (decent-to-below-average 2B, not a lot of versatility), so the numbers don't tell the whole story.

I don't know though. It just feels super strange to see a guy mash a baseball like he did, struggle for one season and then not even get a spring training opportunity. He's still only 30.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    What a strange trajectory. Gennett was great in 2017 and 2018. Then struggled/was hurt in 2019, didn't play in 2020. And now he's gone.

I suspect there's more to the story. He has gone on the record as a respect guy, so I could see him standing his ground if the money isn't what he thinks it should be. Injuries could still be lingering. He may have lost something. I think he had a pretty limited skillset (decent-to-below-average 2B, not a lot of versatility), so the numbers don't tell the whole story.

I don't know though. It just feels super strange to see a guy mash a baseball like he did, struggle for one season and then not even get a spring training opportunity. He's still only 30.
    A lot of middle infielders barely make it past thirty. If he hadn't feasted on pitching for two years during a huge power surge in the game it probably wouldn't be noticed. He did well a GAB and had a much larger BABIP than expected, but he fell off the shelf too much to be chased by any teams. My guess is the scouts say he's done, the numbers say he's on the way to being done so no one is going to throw a rope to a guy who was horrible two years ago and now isn't playing

18. Likes:

BillDoran (03-23-2021),Crumbley (03-24-2021),Revering4Blue (03-24-2021)

Fuzzy
    @fuzzyfromyt
    ·
    Feb 25
    Name a player that just vanished from the game of baseball, I’ll start:

Scooter Gennett
    Scooter Gennett
    @Sgennett2
    https://twitter.com/Sgennett2/status...03570871410693
    Feb 26
    That’s what happens when teams give 1 guy 40 million a year and can’t afford to offer a guy like me a major league deal. That’s why I’m enjoying my family and life in Florida right now. Can’t say I’m unhappy but I do miss the game and the guys. Not all the other b.s. though Call me hand

20. Likes:

BillDoran (03-23-2021),REDREAD (03-30-2021)

Scooter, age 30, longing for the good old days. He's busy yelling at people to get off his lawn. Kids these days.

22. Likes:

westofyou (03-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Fuzzy
    @fuzzyfromyt
    ·
    Feb 25

Scooter Gennett
    @Sgennett2
    https://twitter.com/Sgennett2/status...03570871410693
    Feb 26
    Life's unfair.

Career wise a sub .600 OPS from a poor fielder is like replacing sprinkles on an ice cream cone with cat litter

24. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-24-2021)

Sounds like a combination of an aging guy with a not particularly valuable skillset who's too stubborn to accept the indignity of a minor league deal.

I imagine he probably had a number of offers to earn his way onto a roster and just chose not to.

The guy made $20 million playing a game though, so he should be doing just fine. Hope he's as happy as the tweet suggests.

26. Likes:

Griffey012 (03-23-2021)

Turn Off Ads?