Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wheres Scooter?

Re: Wheres Scooter?

Of course they'd consider it. Gotta make bobbleheads of somebody. lol

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Schuler View Post
    If I had a young family and I was a multi-millionaire, I’d use a tepid response toward my free agency as justification for staying home and seeing my kids every day.
    If I was indeed in Florida, the kids and I would live at theme parks.

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Sadly, many times it does collapse for some players just like that. It's important to keep in mind the last time he was a good hitter was 2018.
    I think it's important to keep in mind that this is the rule, not the exception. Players usually go downhill fast. A small change in real ability knocks them out of the league. If you're Joey Votto and you put up a 170 OPS+ you can lose a couple of notches off your game and you can still be a useful major leaguer. If you're a middle infielder putting up a 125 OPS+ and passable defense, the margin is just that much thinner.

The moral of Scotter Gennett is not really that the reds gave up on him too soon, but that sometimes if you sort through other teams waiver cuts you can skim a bit of cream off a players peak seasons and it works out well for everybody. We pooh-pooh the "throw it all at the wall and see if something sticks" strategy because so often it just produces trashy roster churn, but every now and then.....you get Scooter or something like him.
    Last edited by dfs; 03-26-2021 at 07:19 PM.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

5. Likes:

CySeymour (03-26-2021),mbgrayson (03-28-2021),NebraskaRed (03-28-2021),westofyou (03-26-2021)

For what it's worth, the Braves released Jason Kipnis yesterday. I would take him over Scooter as a lefty bench bat/back-up 2B at this point in their careers.

That might be him over there behind Waldo

Quote Originally Posted by JT Redlegs View Post
    For what it's worth, the Braves released Jason Kipnis yesterday. I would take him over Scooter as a lefty bench bat/back-up 2B at this point in their careers.
    Was thinking about that as well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    If I was indeed in Florida, the kids and I would live at theme parks.
    Ohio thrill parks > Florida theme parks

10. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by NachoMan View Post
    Ohio thrill parks > Florida theme parks
    Major League ball parks are better than any of those parks.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

12. Likes:

marcshoe (03-28-2021),Old school 1983 (03-31-2021)

According to baseball-reference Scooter's career earnings totaled $19,538,600. Possibly more. He doesn't seem like the guy that blew threw money, so I won't feel too sorry for him. Perhaps he could have made more. He's got an argument that he should have at least got a ST invite somewhere, and frankly, he's not wrong on these salaries getting out of whack. Every year Oakland makes the playoffs and probably laughs at LAA. Every year it seems TB makes the playoffs and laughs at Boston and NYY. Because they do it with less than it costs to pay one year of Trout or Cole.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

14. Likes:

goreds2 (03-31-2021),Hamilton95 (03-31-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Major League ball parks are better than any of those parks.
    I'll take Yosemite in Fall over all of them

16. Likes:

mth123 (03-31-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'll take Yosemite in Fall over all of them
    Gotta agree with you there. National Parks are my thing.

Turn Off Ads?