Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The best swing of my life - 2021 edition

Re: The best swing of my life - 2021 edition

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Does anyone know of any player who wasn’t a good hitter, who changed his swing in the off season, then became a good hitter? I recall reading of many who tried it, but I can’t recall any who have succeeded. Scott Schebler was the last one I remember.
    Does Votto changing his swing in-season to a wedge out of the bunker count?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Hopefully, Votto’s new swing is not out on the front porch with Little Charlotte ...
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

4. Likes:

CySeymour (02-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Hopefully, Votto’s new swing is not out on the front porch with Little Charlotte ...
    That took me a minute... And was a serious blast from the past.

His "I'm Just an Old Chunk of Coal (But I'm Gonna Be a Diamond Someday" got me into bluegrass music well before it had its moment in the sun. (A 12-year-old singing and picking with Flatt and Scruggs and Doc Watson wasn't typically considered the end-all, be-all of cool in 1984.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    yes he has a chance to be great possibly another Honus Wagner, how many years can a person believe this blather Kyle Farmer is going to change his hands and through some prestidigitation and alchemy become great,, next project is to make mark payton into hank aaron by changing his socks
    He’s not that great, but maybe it takes him from not that great to an ok bench player?

fair point

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Aquino says he tinkered with a few things on his swing, but got into no specifics. Also wants to get back to having fun, since he thinks that will make a difference. I have more faith in swing tinkering than reliance on fun.

Hope he can find his groove again.
    Aquino's groove was getting fast balls, every pitcher is wise to him now.He will have to learn to hit off speed pitches to improve but he'll never hit 19 HRs in a month again.

At this point I just hope that Zinter proves me wrong but why are so many players hiring coaches to fix their swings in the offseason?
    In my opinion the Reds after a historically bad offensive year should have fired Alan Zinter?

Quote Originally Posted by CrosleyVet View Post
    Aquino's groove was getting fast balls, every pitcher is wise to him now.He will have to learn to hit off speed pitches to improve but he'll never hit 19 HRs in a month again.
    Aquino actually hit better against off speed pitches than fastballs according to his Fangraphs numbers. He also hit a large percentage of his HR’s against off speed pitches.

His problem is that his has chasing too many pitches of all kinds out of the strike zone.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Does anyone know of any player who wasn’t a good hitter, who changed his swing in the off season, then became a good hitter? I recall reading of many who tried it, but I can’t recall any who have succeeded. Scott Schebler was the last one I remember.
    Going back a ways, Mariano Duncan.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Didn't JD Martinez hire a coach to help change his swing and ended up being an MVP candidate?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

He was never a "bad" hitter but Edwin Encarnacion

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Jose Bautista is the poster-child.

That said, lots of players rework their games during the offseason, or even during the season. They're talented enough to do that.
    I admire the ‘down to the studs’ swing rebuilds, but my favorite is Cozart. I remember the spring training puff pieces about how he shifted his hands a little bit in his stance, and then he proceeds to pound the league to a .930 ops. Maybe there’s hope for Kyle Farmer after all.

Quote Originally Posted by sdm24 View Post
    At this point I just hope that Zinter proves me wrong but why are so many players hiring coaches to fix their swings in the offseason?
    In my opinion the Reds after a historically bad offensive year should have fired Alan Zinter?
    Problem is that the Reds had just "fired" Turner Ward after the 2019 season for a "historically bad offensive year." Not sure that Alan Zinter can be blamed for 60 games, where the first 30 were bad and the last 30 were pretty good.

What's funny to me is that all these outside coaches that are being hired - including Driveline - are being run by folks who, for the most part, either never played organized baseball, or never achieved any kind of real success in organized baseball. It's kind of like having the mechanic who works hands-on, on your car ... being trained by someone who never actually looked under a car hood.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/kyle-f...shortstop-spot

Farmer has a new hitting approach that is modeled after Brewers outfielder and former MVP Christian Yelich, a former teammate of Reds second baseman Mike Moustakas.

“The move I try to make is the same as Yelich, where he kind of sinks down and then kind of spreads out, and that's why I talk to Moose a lot about it because him and Moose were really close with the Brewers and they were each other's hitting coaches pretty much,” Farmer explained. “He saw me make the move the first time and he was in the cage and he was like, 'It looks like Yelich.' I've been picking his brain left and right on how Yelich makes his move, what he focuses on.”

Farmer's double was off a righty today
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Turn Off Ads?