Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ranking How Valuable Universal DH Would Be for Every NL Team

Ranking How Valuable Universal DH Would Be for Every NL Team

As the MLB lockout continues amid ongoing collective bargaining agreement negotiations, the universal designated hitter is once again a topic of discussion around baseball.

The implementation of a universal DH was part of Major League Baseball's proposal to the MLBPA prior to the lockout, and with the potential to create more roles for veteran sluggers, it is an idea that the player's association should be able to get behind as well.

It would undoubtedly be a boon to the market of several free agents, including Nelson Cruz, Nick Castellanos, Jorge Soler, Andrew McCutchen, Eddie Rosario, Albert Pujols, Daniel Vogelbach and others.

While it would be business as usual for the American League, there would suddenly be a new lineup spot to fill for each of the 15 National League clubs.

For some teams, that could mean unclogging a roster logjam or opening the door for a top prospect to carve out a role in the majors. For others, it would become one more item on the offseason to-do list that needs to be addressed before Opening Day.

Ahead, we've ranked each of the 15 NL squads based on how well equipped they currently are to handle a universal DH announcement once the lockout is lifted.

4. Cincinnatl Reds

Team OPS: .759 (second in NL)
    Team R/G: 4.85 (fourth in NL)

Top DH Candidates: Aristides Aquino, Mike Moustakas

The Cincinnati Reds had one of the best offenses in the National League in 2021, but now they stand to lose Nick Castellanos to free agency after he opted out of the final two years of his contract on the heels of a career year.

The universal DH would be an opportunity to get another power bat in the lineup to help ease that loss.

Young outfielder Aristides Aquino is a career .220/.307/.478 hitter, but he has homered an impressive 31 times in 486 career plate appearances, making him an obvious candidate for an expanded role.

The DH spot would also be a means of sorting out a crowded infield situation that currently leaves one-half of the high-priced duo of Eugenio Suarez and Mike Moustakas on the outside looking in for regular playing time following the emergence of Jonathan India as the everyday second baseman.
    See full article and rankings here:
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-every-nl-team

2. Likes:

757690 (12-10-2021),goreds2 (12-09-2021),redsmetz (12-09-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ranking How Valuable Universal DH Would Be for Every NL Team

I would think that if the universal DH is adopted, StL may want Pujols back to finish his career there and give him the league wide going away tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

5. Likes:

cumberlandreds (12-10-2021),goreds2 (12-09-2021),Ron Madden (12-09-2021)

I certainly hope the Reds could do better than an Aquino/Moustakas platoon at DH.

Mike Moustakas can't seem to stay healthy or hit, and Aristides Aquino may have "homered an impressive 31 times in 486 career plate appearances," but I'm not sure he has over 40 total hits, either.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

The Reds have to have Stephenson in the line-up most of the time. He can't catch that much. He's going to be DH against LHP. Nothing else makes sense. I don't see a role for Aquino on this roster.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

8. Likes:

Chip R (12-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I would think that if the universal DH is adopted, StL may want Pujols back to finish his career there and give him the league wide going away tour.
    Good, because he's pretty much done. And I'm happy to say goodbye to him and his little buddy, the catcher.

10. Likes:

Chip R (12-15-2021),goreds2 (12-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    Good, because he's pretty much done. And I'm happy to say goodbye to him and his little buddy, the catcher.
    Or hasta la vista, baby!

Turn Off Ads?