Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Votto 2021 Thread

Votto 2021 Thread

All things Votto. Positive, negative, neutral. Whatever.

I’ll start with this quote from Votto today:

"Selfishly, I really don't want to come back and celebrate my career. I want to come back and celebrate a championship. ... Truly, that's what I care about. I'd like that experience before I'm done playing, for sure."

This can be taken 1 of 2 ways IMHO:

1.) Votto desperately wants to win a championship in Cincinnati

2.) “I am officially open for a trade to a contender”

Thoughts?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto 2021 Thread

Also selfishly, he now states that he is going to focus on homeruns and his power numbers. I guess that he now knows that he needs to get his counting numbers up to get into the HOF. To me, his approach has always been about what benefits him vs. what benefits the team.

On look another let's bash Joey Votto thread.

We all know how this will turn out.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-21-2021 at 07:50 PM.

5. Likes:

westofyou (02-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    On look another let's bash Joey Votto thread.

We all know that's how this will turn out.
    How is this a bash Joey Votto thread?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    How is this a bash Joey Votto thread?
    You may have started it with good intentions but somehow most Votto threads end up that way.

No offense to you RedTeamGo!

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Loyalist View Post
    Also selfishly, he now states that he is going to focus on homeruns and his power numbers. I guess that he now knows that he needs to get his counting numbers up to get into the HOF. To me, his approach has always been about what benefits him vs. what benefits the team.
    lmao

If he tries to get on base, he only cares about his OBP for the sake of getting into the hall of fame and doesn’t care about winning or choosing to hit more homers to drive in runners.

If he tries to hit for more power, he suddenly only cares about his counting stats for the sake of getting into the HOF and doesn’t care about winning.

I swear to god there is nothing Joey can do to please Reds fans (or even some of his certain Cy Young winning idiot former teammates!)

9. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-22-2021),757690 (02-21-2021),CarolinaRedleg (02-22-2021),Coopdaddy67 (02-21-2021),Ed Otten (02-21-2021),Edd Roush (02-21-2021),goreds2 (02-22-2021),HammerTime (02-22-2021),Jim (02-22-2021),Joeyjection19 (02-21-2021),Larkin Fan (02-22-2021),mbgrayson (02-22-2021),ochoa30 (02-21-2021),RedsfaninMT (02-22-2021),RedTeamGo! (02-21-2021),Ron Madden (02-21-2021),StRedlegs900 (02-22-2021),thatcoolguy_22 (02-22-2021),tomnuetten (02-22-2021),WildcatFan (02-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    lmao

If he tries to get on base, he only cares about his OBP for the sake of getting into the hall of fame and doesn’t care about winning or choosing to hit more homers to drive in runners.

If he tries to hit for more power, he suddenly only cares about his counting stats for the sake of getting into the HOF and doesn’t care about winning.

I swear to god there is nothing Joey can do to please Reds fans (or even some of his certain Cy Young winning idiot former teammates!)
    The team needed him to get on base last year, they hit just over .200. He switched his philosophy to hitting for power. You may think that he doesn’t know or care that he needs those numbers to come up to get in the HOF. I respectfully disagree. I’m not a Votto hater, I’m just disappointed that he never seemed to be interested in being a team leader. There were teams that he was on that him hitting for power vs. getting on base would’ve benefited the team more but he went for getting on base instead of driving in runs. I know that he’s an all time Reds Great. That doesn’t mean that nobody should ever be able to complain about parts of his game. He’s had times where he disappears mentally running the bases or not hustling. Again,he’s had an awesome career and I wish him much more success but he isn’t some kinda baseball god that you’re not allowed to point out some flaws with.

11. Likes:

texasdave (02-21-2021)

It’s a travesty that this team didn’t push the chips all in 2012 /2013 and get the pieces that were missing for a real run in the playoffs. Votto is a generational player and one hell of a funny/ easy to riot for guy and to have him at this point of his career and never had a team win a playoff series is just sad. As for going forward I think we can all agree that he is done as a superstar. His contract wasn’t overpriced though it is for the remainder and is a big reason why he will never have that opportunity in Red. We have no talent coming up to offset the cost and zero in the bank (allegedly?) to buy the talent it would take. The window is closed in Cincinnati and won’t reopen until he and a few others are gone and we actually build some talent. IF he is sincere in his wishes for a championship he needs to realize that the path is far away from Cincinnati.

Votto is the best hitter in team history IMO. I hope he can regain his youth this year. It would be huge and cover a lot of sins on the rest of the roster. Earlier I said Suarez was the only guy who could be an MVP candidate, but if Votto is healthy, swinging hard and still has his eyesight, he can absolutely do it. Other players his age have had big years. Here is to hoping he can do it. Age always scares me, especially when it is after a fairly steady decline, but listening to Votto, it sounds like a lot of his problems were self inflicted and not an age related decline. We'll see.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

You’re right. He does have flaws. But I don’t believe for a minute that he doesn’t have the needs of the team in mind. Some people just aren’t natural leaders (not saying he is or isn’t as I’m not in the locker room) or at least not in the way you want them to be. Some people face conflict with a sense of humor. Votto seems like this type of player. While he may not be a rah-rah, accountability based leader it is also important to have guys that keep the environment light and fun as long as it is appropriate. These people can still be leaders. I’ve promoted managers with this personality many times. I too was this guy. Sometimes they change (like me) and they install the accountability piece that goes with it. Sometimes they don’t but along the way they create a fun environment (again as long as it is at the right time) that teammates enjoy and morale stays high and with that production stays high. Don’t try to fit a square peg into a round hole and don’t undervalue a positive and light personality in the locker room or workplace.

Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar

Speaking to Votto's plate discipline, he's 77 at-bats away from tying BP on the all-time Reds leaderboard, but Votto already had 696 more plate appearances.

C. Trent Rosecrans
    @ctrent
    Joey Votto today: "I'm as excited as I've been maybe in my major-league career to start a major-league season"

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-21-2021),mbgrayson (02-22-2021),ochoa30 (02-21-2021),RedTeamGo! (02-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    You’re right. He does have flaws. But I don’t believe for a minute that he doesn’t have the needs of the team in mind. Some people just aren’t natural leaders (not saying he is or isn’t as I’m not in the locker room) or at least not in the way you want them to be. Some people face conflict with a sense of humor. Votto seems like this type of player. While he may not be a rah-rah, accountability based leader it is also important to have guys that keep the environment light and fun as long as it is appropriate. These people can still be leaders. I’ve promoted managers with this personality many times. I too was this guy. Sometimes they change (like me) and they install the accountability piece that goes with it. Sometimes they don’t but along the way they create a fun environment (again as long as it is at the right time) that teammates enjoy and morale stays high and with that production stays high. Don’t try to fit a square peg into a round hole and don’t undervalue a positive and light personality in the locker room or workplace.
    The thing that I always hated and did at the time too was the extension timing. I don’t blame Votto for it but it struck me as a bad business decision for the Reds at the time. He had just won the MVP award and he was already locked up for the next 2 seasons. I would have let the next season play out and you still had a year to extend someone who wasn’t the reigning MVP. Again, smart on Votto’s part but not a good business decision for the Reds in my opinion. His 10 year extension started in 2014. He’s had 3 very good seasons since the extension started.. 15, 16, 17. It’s very possible that they will only get 3 very good years out of 10. In fairness though, Votto was hurt in the first year of the extension. I don’t have unrealistic expectations for Votto. I would rather see him focus on OBP if he’s in the 2 spot vs HRS though. Maybe they should move him to 6 or 7 if that is his new philosophy. I’m not a Votto hater, I just like seeing guys focus on how they can help the team win. I do hope that Votto gets into the HOF one day, he’s borderline but probable right now. I’ve never been a fan of his personality but to each his own on that. I’m more of a franchise fan vs. a certain player fan. I root hard for the team to win and try to follow every game. I do call out players and ownership though. There’s 2 sides to being a fan.
    Last edited by Reds Loyalist; 02-21-2021 at 08:25 PM.

In 2020, Votto said he struggled trying to be a perfect hitter as he was having the worst statistical year of his career. But a mid-season benching sparked a turnaround in the second half. This year, Votto wants to go back to what he did best when he debuted in MLB in 2007.

Votto wants to get back to being a great power hitter.

“I've led the league in slugging percentage,” Votto said on Sunday after reporting to Spring Training. “I have to remind myself that at the core, that's who I am.”
    https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...=snd-autopilot
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-21-2021 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

In 2020, Votto said he struggled trying to be a perfect hitter as he was having the worst statistical year of his career. But a mid-season benching sparked a turnaround in the second half. This year, Votto wants to go back to what he did best when he debuted in MLB in 2007.

Votto wants to get back to being a great power hitter.

“I've led the league in slugging percentage,” Votto said on Sunday after reporting to Spring Training. “I have to remind myself that at the core, that's who I am.”

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...=snd-autopilot
    Actually, the only way Votto will ever raise his OBP will be to prove to pitchers that he can still hit for power. I see nothing wrong with this approach. Just wish he had been thinking this way for the last few seasons.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

21. Likes:

757690 (02-21-2021),Griffey012 (02-22-2021),sdm24 (02-22-2021)

Turn Off Ads?