Turn Off Ads?
Page 23 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2021: 3rd Time's the Charm

Re: NBA 2021: 3rd Time's the Charm

I like the new playoff system. Adds some intrigue for teams that otherwise would be playing out the string. I'm paying more attention to the results from mid-tier teams than I normally would. Plus, I'm shedding no tears for the 7 and 8 seeds having their slots get challenged.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    For those out there who are wondering what the ignorant play-in game scenario is going to be:

What a clusterf***.
    What’s the problem with this?

Portland v Clippers. Good game. Clippers win a close one mostly due to Paul George taking over. He and CJ guarded each other down the stretch. George destroyed him. If Portland ever wants to beat the Clips (swept this year) they might want to try a wing defender on George.
    Last edited by Betterread; 04-21-2021 at 12:51 AM.

5. Likes:

M2 (04-21-2021),Revering4Blue (04-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Portland v Clippers. Good game. Clippers win a close one mostly due to Paul George taking over. He and CJ guarded each other down the stretch. George destroyed him. If Portland ever wants to beat the Clips ever (swept this year) they might want to try a wing defender on George.
    That was a painful loss for the Blazers. They had a late lead and just couldn't keep PG away from the rim. Like, double that guy and make someone else beat you.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That was a painful loss for the Blazers. They had a late lead and just couldn't keep PG away from the rim. Like, double that guy and make someone else beat you.
    George is a weird player-- he's pretty much unstoppable or a ghost.

There's very little in-between.

8. Likes:

dubc47834 (04-23-2021),M2 (04-21-2021),Revering4Blue (04-23-2021)

More playoff watching:

East

The Knicks just vaulted into 4th. Yet suddenly Miami is alive again (in 7th, but only 1.5 games out of 4th). The Wiz are now in the 10th after having won 6 straight, though that might just mean they're about to lose 6 straight. Charlotte and Indiana are not looking terribly convincing in the 8 and 9 slots, so DC, Toronto and Chicago all could be making late runs at those slots.

West

The Suns are putting serious pressure on the Jazz for the #1 seed. Beat the Sixers tonight and are only 1.5 games back. The Clippers and Nuggets also continue to win a ton and distance themselves. The top 4 looks fairly well set. The Blazers and Mavs are now only separated by a half a game for the #6 slot. The Mavs have a game in hand and can tie, though Portland holds the tiebreaker on them. However, Dallas has a much easier remaining schedule. The Grizzlies and Warriors both lost tonight, so they (and the Spurs) are still separated by 1 game.

The Clippers are looking like a legitimate title contender. Over the second half of the season, they've been the hottest team in the NBA-- the top offense and a top five defense to boot.

They've got issues at PG unless Rondo goes Playoff Rondo again, but everything else has come up solid. (With the addition of Cousins, they can even play Ibaka at PF a bit.)

More playoff watching:

East

The Knicks just vaulted into 4th. Yet suddenly Miami is alive again (in 7th, but only 1.5 games out of 4th). The Wiz are now in the 10th after having won 6 straight, though that might just mean they're about to lose 6 straight. Charlotte and Indiana are not looking terribly convincing in the 8 and 9 slots, so DC, Toronto and Chicago all could be making late runs at those slots.

West

The Suns are putting serious pressure on the Jazz for the #1 seed. Beat the Sixers tonight and are only 1.5 games back. The Clippers and Nuggets also continue to win a ton and distance themselves. The top 4 looks fairly well set. The Blazers and Mavs are now only separated by a half a game for the #6 slot. The Mavs have a game in hand and can tie, though Portland holds the tiebreaker on them. However, Dallas has a much easier remaining schedule. The Grizzlies and Warriors both lost tonight, so they (and the Spurs) are still separated by 1 game.
    Phoenix is putting pressure on Utah, but just do a quick glance over their remaining schedules and I don’t see how they catch the Jazz. Although with the Lakers seemingly going to be in the 4/5 spot I wouldn’t hate falling to the 2 line.

12. Likes:

M2 (04-22-2021)

Yes, it would be nice if Phoenix would go ahead and lose a game once in a while.

That goes for the Clippers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Yes, it would be nice if Phoenix would go ahead and lose a game once in a while.

That goes for the Clippers as well.
    IMO, it's those three and Philadelphia as the favorites right now.

I am curious about Brooklyn though. And if the Lakers get healthy, they can win it all too. Both teams need health. (And I want to see how the parts play.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    IMO, it's those three and Philadelphia as the favorites right now.

I am curious about Brooklyn though. And if the Lakers get healthy, they can win it all too. Both teams need health. (And I want to see how the parts play.)
    Brooklyn and the Clippers are my two "head case watch" teams. Doesn't really matter what they do during the season. Both have kerplooey potential in the playoffs. Between that and teams which haven't ever gotten over the hump (Utah, Phoenix, Philly, Milwaukee), there's a high possibility of some upsets.

And if we get Denver vs. the Lakers in the 1st round, that's going to be lit.

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Portland v Clippers. Good game. Clippers win a close one mostly due to Paul George taking over. He and CJ guarded each other down the stretch. George destroyed him. If Portland ever wants to beat the Clips (swept this year) they might want to try a wing defender on George.
    We did beat them. NBA said the next day that the call against C.J. that put George on the line for two free throws with 5 seconds left to let them win by 1 was a bad call.

Hollis-Jefferson and Jones guarded him most of the game.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 04-22-2021 at 06:47 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    We did beat them. NBA said the next day that the call that put George on the line for teo free throws with 5 seconds left to let them win by 1 was a bad call.
    Yet the result remains the same.

Yet the result remains the same.
    Scott Foster makes his own decisions about who wins and loses.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Scott Foster makes his own decisions about who wins and loses.
    Maybe figure out a way to keep the guy away from the rim without bodying him. You know, maybe double on the guy who's killing you and get the ball out of his hands. Honestly, it's like your team is trying to lose.

Turn Off Ads?