Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 68 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2021: 3rd Time's the Charm

Re: NBA 2021: 3rd Time's the Charm

From NBC Sports w/ NBC Sports' comments:

Luke Walton's job as the Kings head coach is "likely to last at least through this season," according to a report in The Athletic. In their joint report, Sam Amick and Jason Jones write that Walton is not in "imminent danger" and should be safe "barring a complete nose-dive in the second half [of the season]." They identify five main reasons why Walton's performance justifies his position, boiling down to player development and sporadic on-court success despite a flawed roster. The trade deadline may determine whether the 14-22 Kings can make an earnest playoff push, but win or lose it sounds like Walton will be pacing the sidelines.

SOURCE: The Athletic

I agree that Coaching changes shouldn't be made mid-season in basketball. Especially this season. What's the point? They can't practice, literally. They cannot have a practice because there are no days off to have one during the 2nd half of the season by any of the 30 teams.

Walton certainly needs to go. He's in over his head, but he's young, and he may some day become good. I don't see it, though. Seems like he's been riding the name of Walton his entire life and getting opportunities nobody else would have received because of it.

Last night, Walton basically tried to win a game with 7 players, and with Buddy Hield hurt, he had Hield play 42 minutes the night before of a back-to-back. He runs his best lineup into the ground and then there's nothing left to put out there. That just makes that best lineup mad as they build a lead, then watch it disappear quickly as Walton makes his poor lineup changes, then they work their tails off to build a lead again, only for the next round of lineup changes see the team get destroyed quickly in the 2nd half. By the end of the game, there's nothing left mentally or physically for them to pull out a win.

A good Head Coach (they had one, and now Philly has him as an Assistant) can win with the Kings. Dumars will get one.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's about time.

From NBC Sports w NBC Sports' comments:

Mike Conley has been invited to the All-Star game, according to The Athletic's Tony Jones. Conley gets his first All-Star nod in his 14th NBA season, and it's an honor he's been eager to accept. "I’m playing the best basketball of my entire career," he said. "Being 33 years old, I’ve never had the opportunity to play in the [All-Star] game. I’ve had the door shut so many times." He replaces Devin Booker (left knee) who was initially slated to replace Anthony Davis. Conley is putting together a bounce-back season and he also makes the 9-cat fantasy all-star team behind averages of 16.1 points, 5.7 dimes, 3.5 boards and 1.4 steals with great efficiency.

SOURCE: Tony Jones on Twitter

....because....

Devin Booker (left knee sprain) will not play in the All-Star game. It's the first we've heard of a knee injury for Booker this season, and is presumably just a precaution. We'll leave him off the injury report and will get plenty of advance notice if his status is endangered for the Suns' next game vs. the Blazers on Thursday. Mike Conley has been named Booker's replacement in the All-Star game.

SOURCE: Shams Charania on Twitter

I wish Dame would skip the All-Star game. First game afterwards is PHO, who crushed us by about 60 last week.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Mike Conley has been invited to the All-Star game, according to The Athletic's Tony Jones. Conley gets his first All-Star nod in his 14th NBA season, and it's an honor he's been eager to accept. "I’m playing the best basketball of my entire career," he said. "Being 33 years old, I’ve never had the opportunity to play in the [All-Star] game. I’ve had the door shut so many times." He replaces Devin Booker (left knee) who was initially slated to replace Anthony Davis. Conley is putting together a bounce-back season and he also makes the 9-cat fantasy all-star team behind averages of 16.1 points, 5.7 dimes, 3.5 boards and 1.4 steals with great efficiency.
    The good news is that Rudy Gobert is no longer the last player assigned to a team in the All-Star game.

The bad news is that the Utah Jazz still have the last player assigned to a team in the All-Star game.

The worse news is that now we get to listen to Devin Booker whine about not being in the All-Star game for a whole additional year.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    The good news is that Rudy Gobert is no longer the last player assigned to a team in the All-Star game.

The bad news is that the Utah Jazz still have the last player assigned to a team in the All-Star game.

The worse news is that now we get to listen to Devin Booker whine about not being in the All-Star game for a whole additional year.
    Cruel. Just cruel.

Does this mean that the Jazz had the last three players selected to the team?

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Does this mean that the Jazz had the last three players selected to the team?
    Technically yes, but in Donovan Mitchell's opinion, he was actually picked first.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Technically yes, but in Donovan Mitchell's opinion, he was actually picked first.
    I think Ben Simmons just tackled him at the airport, refs called the foul on Mitchell though.

10. Likes:

SteelSD (03-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I think Ben Simmons just tackled him at the airport, refs called the foul on Mitchell though.
    Simmons only tackled him because Mitchell tried to run off with Ben's Rookie of the Year trophy at the baggage check.

That's a CNC for airport security every day of the week, despite Mitchell protesting to the TSA officials that, in his opinion, the trophy is actually his.

--Ted Williams

This sudden eruption of Sixers-Jazz beef is my new favorite meal.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

13. Likes:

BuckeyeRed27 (03-06-2021),SteelSD (03-06-2021)

Simmons only tackled him because Mitchell tried to run off with Ben's Rookie of the Year trophy at the baggage check.

That's a CNC for airport security every day of the week, despite Mitchell protesting to the TSA officials that, in his opinion, the trophy is actually his.
    Oh man I forgot about that! I loved every second of that whole thing haha

15. Likes:

SteelSD (03-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    This sudden eruption of Sixers-Jazz beef is my new favorite meal.
    My favorite thing about the Jazz is that their owner shows up and does interviews during the game in a t-shirt, jeans, and a backwards baseball cap- throwing the attitude of "Yeah, dude. I had this idea a while back, got filthy FILTHY rich off of it, and couldn't figure out anything to do once I spent the first 0.001% of my bloated fortune, so I bought an NBA team. So how you guys liking it?"

My least favorite thing about the Jazz is their announcers, who spend the vast majority of their time sort of understanding that there's some sporting event going on in front of them, but they're not sure what sport it is, so they focus on trying to figure out what penalty...I mean "foul"...was supposedly inflicted on the Jazz during their last possession while the other team is now playing offense. That makes sense because the other team is NEVER supposed to have the ball in hock...I mean socc...errrr...baseb...crap...what sport is this again? Had I been blind, all I would have understood at the end of the Sixers/Jazz contest is that this was a "statement" game, in whatever sport, for the Jazz- but only when they were up by double digits-, that said announcers probably needed to apologize to the officials after the game- which they did-, and that the Jazz obviously would have beaten Denver last year in the bubble had the guy (Bogdanovic) who got lit up in OT played. In fact, I think I heard that last item so often that the Jazz probably would have beaten the Nuggets and/or Broncos and/or Avalanche and/or Rockies...depending on whatever sport the announcers think got played in the "bubble".

--Ted Williams

My favorite thing about the Jazz is that their owner shows up and does interviews during the game in a t-shirt, jeans, and a backwards baseball cap- throwing the attitude of "Yeah, dude. I had this idea a while back, got filthy FILTHY rich off of it, and couldn't figure out anything to do once I spent the first 0.001% of my bloated fortune, so I bought an NBA team. So how you guys liking it?"

My least favorite thing about the Jazz is their announcers, who spend the vast majority of their time sort of understanding that there's some sporting event going on in front of them, but they're not sure what sport it is, so they focus on trying to figure out what penalty...I mean "foul"...was supposedly inflicted on the Jazz during their last possession while the other team is now playing offense. That makes sense because the other team is NEVER supposed to have the ball in hock...I mean socc...errrr...baseb...crap...what sport is this again? Had I been blind, all I would have understood at the end of the Sixers/Jazz contest is that this was a "statement" game, in whatever sport, for the Jazz- but only when they were up by double digits-, that said announcers probably needed to apologize to the officials after the game- which they did-, and that the Jazz obviously would have beaten Denver last year in the bubble had the guy (Bogdanovic) who got lit up in OT played. In fact, I think I heard that last item so often that the Jazz probably would have beaten the Nuggets and/or Broncos and/or Avalanche and/or Rockies...depending on whatever sport the announcers think got played in the "bubble".
    Like that missing seer stone that was miraculously discovered in 1978.

If Steph and Dame were on the same team, how could you guard that? Put a big man at the top of the key to make passes and it would be lethal. Put Seth in a corner and the three's would rain. Wouldn't need to play Defense.

POR well represented at the AS Game. Anfernee Simons wins the Dunk Contest, and Lillard goes Dame Time sinking back-to-back-to-back three's to quickly end the game and give Team LeBron a (easily predicted) sweep of all four quarters. Dame closed the game with his 2nd half-court make. Simply jncredible.

I believe that's what he wants to do, and it's probably the best thing for the franchise. Will the Wolves' Management let him when they see guys getting paid $25M a season sitting on the bench?

Wolves coach Chris Finch said he'll "tighten things up" with his rotation, adding, "We’re going to play the guys that can compete the hardest." “We’re going to have a whole new reality coming out of the break with the way we approach things," Finch said. “We’re going to tighten it up and we’re going to find the guys that want to compete. If that’s a shorter rotation, then so be it." It's not immediately clear if Finch already has players in mind for bigger/smaller roles, or will truly let their post-break play decide. Either way, the Wolves' rotations will be under the microscope going forward.

SOURCE: TwinCities.com

Turn Off Ads?