Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2021: 3rd Time's the Charm

Re: NBA 2021: 3rd Time's the Charm

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Since when does a broken finger make an NBA player miss games?

Shut the bleep up, Coach of the Pelicans. Anthony Davis has been mauled his whole career. Nurkic gets hit in the face and the head three times a game with no call. Welcome to the life of a big man. The refs let him bull his way through people without calling a foul on him. If anything, they don't call enough fouls on him. Kanter gets his arms ripped, back pushed, hit in the head 15 times a game without a call. Shut up about your whining about Zion, and instead ask Zion why he doesn't man up, wrap the broken finger around the one next to it like players have in the NBA forever, and get your buns out onto the court.

And ask yourself why you are in the lottery again and why you couldn't catch the Spurs, Grizzlies or Warriors instead of blaming the refs for your personal failures.
    I guess I don't know what the Head Coach of the Pelicans looks like.

It was Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations David Griffin who I was watching whine. He was fined today $50K. Not enough coming from someone at his level of Management. Should have fined the team a $100K in addition.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

I mean every bit of it 100%.
    That's the unfortunate part.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Probably not many saw the entirety of both of the Lakers games this weekend...against POR Friday and and against PHO Sunday. My comments of how Covington won the game for POR because of his excellent Defense against him forcing him into only one option (which he excelled at) shooting over the top and taking away all of his other options that make him great was explained by Anthony Davis himself against PHO. Where he couldn't put the ball on the floor against Covington, he did all night against PHO getting himself into the paint and showing how he took over as the game's best player before coming to LA (where LeBron reminded everyone that he still is). That Anthony Davis combined with LeBron makes them nearly unstoppable. Now LeBron is back (announced today by Woj that he's suiting up for the next game). With that terrific win against PHO, it opened the door for LA if POR loses 2 of 3 to UTA, PHO and DEN and LA wins out. Lakers then get the 6th seed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    That's the unfortunate part.
    A player's character comes first to me over his sports skills.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

A player's character comes first to me over his sports skills.
    By all accounts his is excellent.

Steph's maybe the best pure guard ever. Dame's forever going to be in his shadow. Some of the stuff you just posted is pure garbage, and you should regret typing it.
    Yeah, 20 years from now when folks are talking about this era's stars, Lillard- while great, for sure- is going to be one of those "Oh, yeah! I almost forgot about him." mid-to-late discussion mentions.

Steph Curry's name will be the start of that discussion.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

7. Likes:

M2 (05-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Yeah, 20 years from now when folks are talking about this era's stars, Lillard- while great, for sure- is going to be one of those "Oh, yeah! I almost forgot about him." mid-to-late discussion mentions.

Steph Curry's name will be the start of that discussion.
    Now that is a bold take.

Steph is number two, for me. LeBron's number one.

The interesting question, I think, is where you put Westbrook.

Well, if you didn't know how to beat the Bucks, the Spurs gave you a blueprint last night-- six wings and guards scored 19+ points and a seventh added double figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Now that is a bold take.

Steph is number two, for me. LeBron's number one.

The interesting question, I think, is where you put Westbrook.
    Keep in mind that when I say "...the start of that discussion", I don't mean "ranked first".

And as for Westbrook, I think he's a guy who puts up gaudy counting stats. But the second someone brings him up, there's gonna' be a debate about how inefficient he actually is followed by him being discounted due to the fact that he's a huge Milo.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Well, if you didn't know how to beat the Bucks, the Spurs gave you a blueprint last night-- six wings and guards scored 19+ points and a seventh added double figures.
    That might be a blueprint, but I'm not sure anyone can repeatedly build from it. 87 points in the first half (I had to do a double-take on that, jeez.) by the Spurs and 58% three-point shooting is certainly a way to win, but it probably isn't a repeatable strategy.

--Ted Williams

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (05-11-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Keep in mind that when I say "...the start of that discussion", I don't mean "ranked first".

And as for Westbrook, I think he's a guy who puts up gaudy counting stats. But the second someone brings him up, there's gonna' be a debate about how inefficient he actually is followed by him being discounted due to the fact that he's a huge Milo.
    Was listening to the Simmons podcast and they were making the point that Russ falls out a bit with other top tier guys, but he's adored by the bulk of his teammates. Plays his tail off, doesn't load manage, refuses to quit, treats every guy on the roster well. Russ won't win you a title as your lead dog, and he kind of takes over even when he's not the lead dog. Yet he and Beal are carrying the Wizards to respectability. Got a feeling DC fans are pretty happy with him.

Nurkic dominates Gobert. UTA is a good matchup for the Blazers.
    https://www.landofbasketball.com/gam...suf_nurkic.htm

Does he?

Was listening to the Simmons podcast and they were making the point that Russ falls out a bit with other top tier guys, but he's adored by the bulk of his teammates. Plays his tail off, doesn't load manage, refuses to quit, treats every guy on the roster well. Russ won't win you a title as your lead dog, and he kind of takes over even when he's not the lead dog. Yet he and Beal are carrying the Wizards to respectability. Got a feeling DC fans are pretty happy with him.
    Russell Westbrook is one of the very few NBA players that I would pay to see. And you cannot put up the numbers that he does, and not be a plus to your team.

I would take Chris Paul's career over Steph Curry's.

I have never seen Russell Westbrook not play hard, and not care about winning. You can probably count the number of players like that in the NBA on one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I would take Chris Paul's career over Steph Curry's.
    Interesting take, td.

While both are first-ballot HOF guys (IMO), Curry's rings trump anything Paul's done, IMO. Those MVPs are pretty loud too. Perhaps Curry falls off a bit moving forward-- doubt he'll be All-NBA as a 35-year-old, as Chris Paul might well be this season.

Beyond that, I enjoy watching Curry much more both in person and on television. YMMV, of course.

Steph's maybe the best pure guard ever.
    I am not even sure what that means, but my knee jerk reaction is to disagree.
    “The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Oh, the Wizards fans may be happy with Westbrook, but I think there's enough evidence to consider him an actual problem. His rebounding numbers are great and his assist totals help mitigate the fact that he leads the NBA in Turnovers per Game. Offensively, the problem is that, despite the fact that he's in the top tier of "downhill" players in the league, he can't shoot. But he continues to take nearly 20 shots per game. Maybe a little-known fact- Westbrook has never posted an EFG% above at or above 50.00% for a season. That's tragic. This season, if we filter to a minimum of 500 shots, he's in the bottom 10 in EFG%. He can't shoot threes but chucks up 4 per game. He can't shoot at all outside 10 feet yet about 56% of his shots are from beyond that range despite hitting less than 38% of them combined. He used to be able to shoot free throws, but can't seem to remember how to do that anymore.

A lot of action there, for sure. But while Bradley Beal is trying to shoot the Wizards into a game, it's likely that Westbrook is trying to shoot them out of one. And often, it's during the same game.

--Ted Williams

Turn Off Ads?