Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: I would think comments like this won't fly in liberal Seattle...

Re: I would think comments like this won't fly in liberal Seattle...

Regardless of what else he said, the comments about Kelenic and Gilbert would make me believe those two have open and shut cases for a grievance against the Mariners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-22-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Not sure what liberal has to do with it but, no, I can't imagine stating publicly:

- Your starting 3B is probably overpaid
    - A foreign born player's English "suddenly improved" after complaining about paying an interpreter
    - The contents of private contract negotiations with several players
    - The player's union begged another player not to sign a contract
    - Alluding, pretty strongly, to service time manipulation
    Among other things...

That's not going to fly many places
    just a correction: he didn't say seager was "probably" overpaid. he said he was overpaid, period. and he's 100% right. i don't care about PC nonsense and trying to say the right thing all the time. honesty is refreshing. nothing he said was false. he did have to give a faux-apology just to appease the PC crowd. but this is much ado about nothing.

5. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (02-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    just a correction: he didn't say seager was "probably" overpaid. he said he was overpaid, period. and he's 100% right. i don't care about PC nonsense and trying to say the right thing all the time. honesty is refreshing. nothing he said was false. he did have to give a faux-apology just to appease the PC crowd. but this is much ado about nothing.
    It's bad business to bash your players for being paid what you offered them, sure it's not the end of the world but it's bad business

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-22-2021),Bourgeois Zee (02-22-2021),Chip R (02-22-2021),Joeyjection19 (02-22-2021),Kingspoint (02-22-2021),MoneyInTheBank (02-22-2021),NebraskaRed (02-22-2021),Ron Madden (02-22-2021)

Here is the transcript, he literally said "probably"

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2021/...st-rotary-club

Regardless of "probably" or just plain "overpaid", it has nothing to do with "PC nonsense", like westofyou said, it's just bad business. He was asked a question about positive leadership stories and his response was (I'm paraphrasing) Kyle Seager is probably overpaid but he's had a great attitude with the rebuild. If he was asked if Seager was overpaid and he said "yeah, probably" I'd cut the guy some slack but he went out of his way to comment on his contract publicly. He's the President of the Seattle Mariners, how does that (or any of the things listed above) help the Seattle Mariners in any capacity?

There are plenty of things that are honest that don't need to be said because they are damaging

9. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-22-2021)

They call me "chef"

If the honest statement is "I'm dumb/don't know when to shut up", you should keep going.

Don't let the PC police force you to appear smarter than you are.

honesty is refreshing. I doubt that Seager or other players on the mariners roster find those comments refreshing though. As the president of the mariners, he should be interested in a better performance of his team. I doubt that those statements help in that way...
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

12. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (02-22-2021)

Bob Nightengale
    @BNightengale
    Chicago #Cubs 1B Anthony Rizzo on #Mariners CEO Kevin Mather's comments on intentionally keeping players in the minors simply to manipulate service time: "It's pretty annoying and frustrating. I'm glad its out there in the public now and people can see how it is.''
    MLBPA Communications
    @MLBPA_News
    The Major League Baseball Players Association today issued the following statement with regard to recent remarks made by Seattle Mariners President and CEO Kevin Mather:
    https://mobile.twitter.com/MLBPA_New...716297/photo/1

14. Likes:

Kingspoint (02-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    It's bad business to bash your players for being paid what you offered them, sure it's not the end of the world but it's bad business
    It happens all the time. You sign a player to a multi-year contact and he doesn't produce up to expectations.

If you think the player is giving max effort and his skills have simply diminished, yeah, that's on you. But I don't begrudge management if they think it's for other reasons and say something.

As far as the service-time snafu, negotiate a solution if possible. Until then, you just have to live with it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Norm Chortleton; 02-22-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    It happens all the time. You sign a player to a multi-year contact and he doesn't produce up to expectations.

If you think the player is giving max effort and his skills have simply diminished, yeah, that's on you. But I don't begrudge management if they think it's for other reasons and say something.
    This is specifically about Kyle Seager. I've seen 0 indication that his performance decrease is anything other than talent miss-evaluation. The fans seem to love him. I can't find a single bad thing anyone has said about him outside of his performance. Do you have any information specifically about Kyle Seager that justifies management calling him out like this?

Even if it wasn't about Seager, when did a Reds executive call out a player publicly for being overpaid? I can't think of a time that has happened in recent memory - you may not have a problem with it but most people would. It's bad business, it keeps potential free agents from signing with you, and does nothing to help your team.

As far as the service-time snafu, negotiate a solution if possible. Until then, you just have to live with it.
    This is why there will be either a shortened 2022 season or no season at all. Don't complain about the inevitable strike if your advice for now is "just live with it."
    Last edited by Joeyjection19; 02-22-2021 at 03:39 PM.

17. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-22-2021)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Kyle Seagar is a Mariner fan favorite, he's not a superstar by any measurement but he is 5th in games played for the franchise and will end up being 4th behind Junior, Edgar and Ichiro. He was thrown under the bus by the team president for a Rotary Club Zoom Call, the team president of a franchise that hasn't been to a playoff game since Seagar was 14 years old. That's brand building at its worst

19. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-22-2021),Revering4Blue (02-22-2021),Ron Madden (02-22-2021)

Many players are "overpaid" others are "underpaid" - I don't think he said "we also got value from xx player because he's underpaid" (which would also be a problem motivating someone underpaid - in any profession. Basically, the President of the Mariners needs to never speak in public again if he is going to keep his job.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Not sure what liberal has to do with it but, no, I can't imagine stating publicly:

- Your starting 3B is probably overpaid
    - A foreign born player's English "suddenly improved" after complaining about paying an interpreter
    - The contents of private contract negotiations with several players
    - The player's union begged another player not to sign a contract
    - Alluding, pretty strongly, to service time manipulation
    Among other things...

That's not going to fly many places
    Because some places jump on a couple words, take them out of context, and won't quit on it until someone gets fired or makes a huge donation to their favorite charity.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Zilch, that's what politics have to do with it
    Because some cities' fans will respond differently than others. Nobody should know that more than someone who lives in extreme-left Portland.

If he said it in Texas, nobody would care.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Even if the primary issue here was political (it isn't) - this is untrue.

Because some places jump on a couple words, take them out of context, and won't quit on it until someone gets fired or makes a huge donation to their favorite charity.
    There's a full, unedited 45 minute video. What context are we missing?
    Last edited by Joeyjection19; 02-22-2021 at 03:36 PM.

24. Likes:

cincinnati chili (02-23-2021)

Because some cities' fans will respond differently than others. Nobody should know that more than someone who lives in extreme-left Portland.

I doubt that. Texas is actually becoming more purple than states like Ohio these days, which is deep red now.

Either way: if that were true, it says more about TX than Seattle. And what’s out of context? People have read the actual verbatim transcript. He said what he said.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Turn Off Ads?