Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: I would think comments like this won't fly in liberal Seattle...

Re: I would think comments like this won't fly in liberal Seattle...

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Because some cities' fans will respond differently than others. Nobody should know that more than someone who lives in extreme-left Portland.

If he said it in Texas, nobody would care.
    It wasn't said in Texas so we really don't know who would care do we?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyjection19 View Post
    This is specifically about Kyle Seager. I've seen 0 indication that his performance decrease is anything other than talent miss-evaluation. The fans seem to love him. I can't find a single bad thing anyone has said about him outside of his performance. Do you have any information specifically about Kyle Seager that justifies management calling him out like this?

Even if it wasn't about Seager, when did a Reds executive call out a player publicly for being overpaid? I can't think of a time that has happened in recent memory - you may not have a problem with it but most people would. It's bad business, it keeps potential free agents from signing with you, and does nothing to help your team.

This is why there will be either a shortened 2022 season or no season at all. Don't complain about the inevitable strike if you're advice for now is "just live with it."
    MLB is such a bad product right now, imo, I watch reds games and reds games only. I couldn't begin to tell you the first thing about Kyle Seager's effort, production, etc.

And no, I haven't heard/seen anything like that from reds management. But I wouldn't have complained had Dick Williams said, "Matt Kemp had a string of very good years in ATL and LA. We gave him a more-than-fair shot in our outfield, but he didn't want to be here, never got on board and frankly sucked, so we released him."

As to the service time issue, it's there in black and white. It's in the current CBA. X amount of service time in the big leagues = X amount of team control. If you want to change it, go to the table and get a more-favorable outcome. Strike if you can't reach a deal and it's really that important to you. (I don't think it is, by the way. The union has always been more interested in the majority, not the handful of young guys who may be affected by service-time manipulation.)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Norm Chortleton; 02-22-2021 at 03:45 PM.

4. Likes:

JFLegal (02-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    MLB is such a bad product right now, imo, I watch reds games and reds games only. I couldn't begin to tell you the first thing about Kyle Seager's effort, production, etc.

And no, I haven't heard/seen anything like that from reds management. But I wouldn't have complained had Dick Williams said, "Matt Kemp had a string of very good years in ATL and LA. We gave him a more-than-fair shot in our outfield, but he didn't want to be here, never got on board and frankly sucked, so we released him."

As to the service time issue, it's there in black and white. It's in the current CBA. X amount of service time in the big leagues = X amount of team control. If you want to change it, go to the table and get a more-favorable outcome. Strike if you can't reach a deal and it's really that important to you. (I don't think it is, by the way. The union has always been more interested in the majority, not the handful of young guys who may be affected by service-time manipulation.)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    No offense but if you are only watching Reds baseball that is partly why you think MLB is such a bad product.

6. Likes:

Norm Chortleton (02-22-2021)

Because some places jump on a couple words, take them out of context, and won't quit on it until someone gets fired or makes a huge donation to their favorite charity.
    Still not a political issue. The President of the Seattle Mariners ticked off his own players, agents and the MLBPA (which are in charge of his entire labor force) in one fell swoop. It's that simple. Left, Right, Up, Down, Diagonal, doesn't matter. Their fans have every right to be upset

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-22-2021)

They call me "chef"

Because some cities' fans will respond differently than others. Nobody should know that more than someone who lives in extreme-left Portland.

If he said it in Texas, nobody would care.
    The internet reaches and a lot of Texas sports fans live in the gerrymandered-to-death slivers of non-right Texas. Also, not everyone who identifies as a Republican, uh, champions defiant knuckleheadery.

10. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-22-2021),Ron Madden (02-22-2021)

These pesky inside thoughts are creeping out

He's now the former President of the Seattle Mariners.

He has resigned. Free Speech ain't free folks

Jeff Passan
    The shame of Kevin Mather’s assessment of the Seattle Mariners team he runs isn’t that he said it out loud. It’s that he believes everything he said — the bigotry, the falsehoods, the mistreatment, the insults.

Column, free for all to read at ESPN: https://espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/3094...spectful-words

15. Likes:

Chip R (02-22-2021),Joeyjection19 (02-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruceFan View Post
    Today's lesson.... Most people have someone who signs their paycheck

17. Likes:

cincinnati chili (02-23-2021),HammerTime (02-22-2021),Joeyjection19 (02-22-2021),Revering4Blue (02-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    It is the equivalent of Phil Castellini doing a zoom with the Elks lodge and saying, unprompted "Votto is overpaid but has a great attitude and this is his last year with the Reds. We had to pay for an interpreter for Shogo but as soon as I complained about it, his English dramatically improved! We locked up Suarez early, the union didn't want him to sign it and his teammates all gossip about how much money he missed out on, but to each his own. We tried to lock up Stephenson, who doesn't lack confidence, early but after talking to the union, he turned us down. He's going to bet on himself, maybe he's right. Did I mention he's REALLY confident? Like, really confident. Jose Garcia, great kid but his English is terrible. We were talking to Didi's agent and he thinks he's getting multiple years at over $10M a year. I don't see it. And this stadium sure is in a crap neighborhood"

None of this helps the Reds. None

Uh, he's not being arrested or jailed for his poor choice in free speech. He's being discharged from his duties as the president of a baseball franchise.

Not saying I agree with the decision, but the owners of the Mariners have every right to let him go, just as he had the right to say those words.

20. Likes:

Chip R (02-22-2021),cincinnati chili (02-23-2021)

The US government forced him to resign?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

22. Likes:

Chip R (02-22-2021),cincinnati chili (02-23-2021),Old school 1983 (02-22-2021),Revering4Blue (02-22-2021)

From the Passan article I posted in post #39 of this thread
    Mather's statement that he is "committed to make amends" and will "do whatever it takes to repair the damage I have caused to the Seattle Mariners organization" sounded rather familiar. Perhaps it's because in 2018, after a Seattle Times report exposed two complaints from female employees against Mather, he said: "I am committed to ensuring that every Mariners employee feels comfortable and respected."

This is how bad culture takes root. More than a decade ago, two women reported Mather to human resources -- a department he oversaw at the time. They left with settlements, according to the Seattle Times, totaling more than $500,000. He remained employed. Mather then kept ascending -- to president and, eventually, CEO. It took a newspaper to expose his past misdeeds.

24. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-22-2021),757690 (02-22-2021),Chip R (02-22-2021)

Optics matter and a business has every right to get rid of someone that says something totally against what their business stands for, it has nothing to do with free speech. It’s just like how customers can not buy coke products because they are running anti white slides at employee training classes.

26. Likes:

Chip R (02-22-2021)

Turn Off Ads?