Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: I would think comments like this won't fly in liberal Seattle...

They call me "chef"

Re: I would think comments like this won't fly in liberal Seattle...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    From the Passan article I posted in post #39 of this thread
    Thanks for sharing this. If you are an American patriot who believes that PC police and the free speech haters have gone too far, rest in the knowledge that, at the very least, Mather got another 10 good years of American freedom in after his first encounter with these liberals who give credence to illegal harassment.

2. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-22-2021),Ron Madden (02-22-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

LOL they canceled this man over these comments. gotta love this society. an apology wasn't even enough. this man needed to lose his job.

what a world.
    Last edited by JFLegal; 02-22-2021 at 04:54 PM.

5. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-23-2021),Norm Chortleton (02-22-2021),Phoenix2 (02-22-2021),texasdave (02-22-2021)

Jon Heyman @JonHeyman
    Players union called Mariners president Kevin Mather’s comments “a highly disturbing yet critically important window into how Players are genuinely viewed by management. Not just because of what was said, but also because it represents an unfiltered look into Club thinking...”

I can’t blame the union for being upset by Mather’s appalling opinions and I’m sure it reflected how the Mariners were run but I think they stand in their own category for awful leadership. How else to not make the playoffs in almost 2 decades (w/above average revenue no less)?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Loyalist View Post
    Optics matter and a business has every right to get rid of someone that says something totally against what their business stands for, it has nothing to do with free speech. It’s just like how customers can not buy coke products because they are running anti white slides at employee training classes.
    lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    It happens all the time. You sign a player to a multi-year contact and he doesn't produce up to expectations.

If you think the player is giving max effort and his skills have simply diminished, yeah, that's on you. But I don't begrudge management if they think it's for other reasons and say something.

As far as the service-time snafu, negotiate a solution if possible. Until then, you just have to live with it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    The service time issue is in the CBA. Clubs are not supposed to manipulate players' service time. He's left the Mariners wide open for a grievance like Kris Bryant filed against the Cubs and eventually lost. Now we all know that clubs manipulate service time because it's almost impossible to prove the player(s) belong in the big leagues. But these comments confirm that. If they had treated those players fairly, maybe they would have signed those multi-year contracts. Stuff like this is going to carry through in negotiations for the new CBA. Clubs are going to want the players to trust them and then something like this happens. If a lockout or strike happens after this season, that is going to be one of the reasons why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

9. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-22-2021)

Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    he didn't offer him that bad contract. he's inheriting the bad contract.

calling kyle seager -- who makes $18M -- overpaid, is just a fact and not a big deal at all.
    He signed a 7 year contract for $100M and has produced $150M of value over that time, per Fangraphs. His contract isn't an albatross.

11. Likes:

Chip R (02-22-2021),cincinnati chili (02-23-2021)

LOL they canceled this man over these comments. gotta love this society. an apology wasn't even enough. this man needed to lose his job.

what a world.
    Ask yourself why this guy was fired.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    it is 100% because he made the mistake of letting his guard down and speaking the truth about mariners' players on a zoom call. 100%.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Joeyjection19 View Post
    He signed a 7 year contract for $100M and has produced $150M of value over that time, per Fangraphs. His contract isn't an albatross.
    ok, fair enough. i thought we were talking about what seager will be paid in 2021, not how he's performed over the life of the contract. but if it's the latter, i agree with you.

14. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-23-2021),Phoenix2 (02-22-2021)

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He was canceled for speaking the truth.

What that means...who believes that...how this connects as any kind of logical thought outside of an existing illogical worldview about cancel culture...I 100% have no idea. Sorry.

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-22-2021)

it is 100% because he made the mistake of letting his guard down and speaking the truth about mariners' players on a zoom call. 100%.

- - - Updated - - -

ok, fair enough. i thought we were talking about what seager will be paid in 2021, not how he's performed over the life of the contract. but if it's the latter, i agree with you.
    "the truth"?

18. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (02-22-2021)

I'm having a hard to seeing why people are upset about him getting fired/resigning. He made comments that directly hurt the future of the business. That's not getting canceled.

20. Likes:

Chip R (02-22-2021),Joeyjection19 (02-22-2021),Ron Madden (02-22-2021)

Kevin Mather embarrassed his employer with his words and actions (previous sexual harassment settlements) and was (probably) forced to resign

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-22-2021)

Haha I still can't get past the idea of promoting somebody to team president who had $500K in sexual harassment suits settled against them. How do people fall upwards this consistently!?!?

24. Likes:

757690 (02-22-2021),Chip R (02-22-2021),Joeyjection19 (02-22-2021),Kingspoint (02-22-2021),MoneyInTheBank (02-22-2021),Patrick Bateman (02-23-2021),Revering4Blue (02-22-2021),Ron Madden (02-22-2021)

what a world.
    He harassed female employees a couple years ago as well. I think this is more of a case of the Mariners coming to the conclusion this clown isn’t worth the circus.

But yeah, it was the millenial hipsters on Twitter that got him canceled or something.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

26. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (02-23-2021)

well, if this guy was sexually assaulting women (and it sounds like he was) screw him. i take back everything i said defending him. didn't know about that aspect of this story.

that's a whole different ballgame than people getting their feelings hurt that he spoke the truth about kyle seager being overpaid.

28. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-22-2021),Bob Sheed (02-23-2021),Kingspoint (02-22-2021),Old school 1983 (02-22-2021),Revering4Blue (02-22-2021)

Turn Off Ads?