Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: I would think comments like this won't fly in liberal Seattle...

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: I would think comments like this won't fly in liberal Seattle...

I hate getting cancelled for uh, tanking the future of my organization, pissing off every prospect in my minor league systems by admitting I screw them over and by being an open racist simultaneously, and maybe even contributing to a work stoppage by admitting the rest of the league engages in collusion.

2. Likes:

757690 (02-22-2021),cincinnati chili (02-23-2021),HammerTime (02-22-2021),Joeyjection19 (02-22-2021),Kingspoint (02-22-2021),marcshoe (02-22-2021),Mitri (02-22-2021),NebraskaRed (02-22-2021),ochoa30 (02-22-2021),Ron Madden (02-22-2021),StRedlegs900 (02-22-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

This guy was forced to resign because of wussy lib hipsters, has nothing to do with his words and actions over the years - something real people actually believe
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    it is 100% because he made the mistake of letting his guard down and speaking the truth about mariners' players on a zoom call. 100%.
    True. But he was also fired because the people running the Mariners felt it would hurt their business if he was kept on. Just like why the Reds fired Thom and 32 NFL teams haven't signed Colin Kaepernick. Whether you agree or disagree with those decisions, business have a fundamental right - as long as isn't against the law - to hire and fire who they want. if one of their employees does or says something that may hurt the bottom line of the business, they have every right to let that employee go. That's not cancel culture, that business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

6. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-23-2021),HammerTime (02-22-2021)

well, if this guy was sexually assaulting women (and it sounds like he was) screw him. i take back everything i said defending him. didn't know about that aspect of this story.

that's a whole different ballgame than people getting their feelings hurt that he spoke the truth about kyle seager being overpaid.
    The Seager thing is just one of the dumb things he said. Actually read the whole transcript. He literally said a Japanese player was pretending he couldn’t speak English well enough to get his buddy a job as a translator and then said the fact a top hispanic prospect is great BUT doesn’t speak English very well as a negative.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    No offense but if you are only watching Reds baseball that is partly why you think MLB is such a bad product.
    Can't argue with you there, sadly. But the reds do play other teams each night, and I don't much care for the way they play the game, either. Watching 3+ hour games filled with 3 true outcomes doesn't appeal much to me.

A friend of mine (who posts here) watches most reds games, probably one complete left coast game per night, and I'd guess bits and pieces of others on MLB.com. That's on top of attending I don't know how many marathon college baseball games per season, those of the 4- to 5-hour variety.

I don't know how he does it. I think I'd rather be transported back to The Lost Decade than be subjected to that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    The Seager thing is just one of the dumb things he said. Actually read the whole transcript. He literally said a Japanese player was pretending he couldn’t speak English well enough to get his buddy a job as a translator and then said the fact a top hispanic prospect is great BUT doesn’t speak English very well as a negative.
    i already talked about that ITT. i thought he was saying that kind of tongue-in-cheek. not joking per se, but seemed light-hearted and not mean-spirited.

but who knows now that i'm learning more about this guy. i had never heard of this guy before. he seems to be a buttface.

i already talked about that ITT. i thought he was saying that kind of tongue-in-cheek. not joking per se, but seemed light-hearted and not mean-spirited.

but who knows now that i'm learning more about this guy. i had never heard of this guy before. he seems to be a buttface.
    Ah, I try the “I was joking” excuse when I say something stupid with my wife sometimes. Doesn’t work.

11. Likes:

Patrick Bateman (02-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Ah, I try the “I was joking” excuse when I say something stupid with my wife sometimes. Doesn’t work.
    i mean, i think you can tell by now we're pretty much on the same page here. this guy does seem like a complete clown.

They call me "chef"

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Haha I still can't get past the idea of promoting somebody to team president who had $500K in sexual harassment suits settled against them. How do people fall upwards this consistently!?!?
    Because we live in a trash world that caters to the worst people, in many respects.
    Last edited by Larry Schuler; 02-22-2021 at 05:39 PM.

How much more enjoyable would life be if we never had to hear the term "cancel culture" again, especially after someone is simply held accountable for doing something stupid? How do we cancel the term "cancel culture?"
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

15. Likes:

Chip R (02-22-2021),RichRed (02-23-2021)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    How much more enjoyable would life be if we never had to hear the term "cancel culture" again, especially after someone is simply held accountable for doing something stupid? How do we cancel the term "cancel culture?"
    I’m actually not one to hop on the train of thought that “cancel culture doesn’t exist”, there are a lot of insane people that pile on people on social media and try to ruin others’ lives over the dumbest possible stuff. But unfortunately you can’t have a reasonable conversation about that stuff without the worst people in the world co-opting the idea in bad faith that you should be allowed to be openly racist and whatever without anything happening to you.

17. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-22-2021),757690 (02-22-2021),HammerTime (02-22-2021),Mitri (02-22-2021),RedTeamGo! (02-22-2021),Revering4Blue (02-22-2021),schmidty622 (02-22-2021),The Operator (02-23-2021)

For those who want more context on the past sexual harassment allegations:

Mariners execs faced workplace complaints; three women received settlements

In the years before he became president of the Seattle Mariners, Kevin Mather and two other top team executives were accused by women of inappropriate workplace conduct, resulting in the complainants receiving financial settlements, The Seattle Times has learned.

The complaints, which surfaced in 2009-10, roiled the organization internally, triggering reviews and staff-wide sexual-harassment seminars, The Times found after interviewing more than three dozen people who have worked within or around the Mariners organization. Along with Mather, who at the time was executive vice president of finance and ballpark operations, the complaints also involved then-team President Chuck Armstrong and then-Executive Vice President Bob Aylward.

The three women involved left their jobs. All three executives remained in their positions, and two were later promoted.

The allegations

The complaints against top Mariners executives first surfaced in 2009.

Seattle lawyer Robin Phillips wrote to the Mariners, outlining complaints by two executive assistants aimed largely at Mather, according to three people with knowledge of the matter. Two of the people said Aylward’s executive assistant complained that Mather had repeatedly rubbed her back and made suggestive comments that made her feel uncomfortable. In interviews with The Times, a former colleague of the woman recalled her taking steps to avoid interactions with Mather, and another recalled her privately expressing frustration at Mather’s interactions.

“He had been touching her back and stuff, and she wasn’t very happy about it,” the second colleague said in an interview. The person requested anonymity, fearing retaliation by the team.

Mather’s own executive assistant said he was mean and had made her uncomfortable with inappropriate jokes and comments about female colleagues in her presence, according to two people familiar with the complaint.
    https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...t-settlements/

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    lmao
    Deep reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Loyalist View Post
    Deep reply!
    i think he was agreeing with you man.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Because some places jump on a couple words, take them out of context, and won't quit on it until someone gets fired or makes a huge donation to their favorite charity.
    Like I said...

From NBC Sports w/ NBC Sports comments:

Kevin Mather has resigned from his role as the Mariners' team president. This felt like an inevitable outcome once Mather's comments to the Bellevue Rotary Club came to light. He outlined a plan of service-time suppression for some of the club's top prospects and also made callous remarks about some of the organization's foreign-born players. "There is no excuse for what was said, and I won’t try to make one," Mariners chairman John Stanton wrote in a statement Monday. "I offer my sincere apology on behalf of the club and my partners to our players and fans. We must be, and do, better. We have a lot of work to do to make amends." Stanton added that he will step into the job that Mather held on an interim basis.

SOURCE: Ryan Divish on Twitter
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Turn Off Ads?