Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tejay Antone sings praises of Reds player development

Tejay Antone sings praises of Reds player development

Tejay Antone was singing the Reds praises this morning on Twitter. It is nice to see this. Such a change from the days of John Lamb remarking on his watching video for the first time before a start a couple of years into his Reds career. (Yes that Lamb so there may have been other reasons for that.)

https://twitter.com/TejayAntone/stat...43376841744388

Tejay Antone ⚾
    @TejayAntone
    I just want to point something out to our @Reds fans. I’ve been a part of this organization since I got drafted in 2014 and wow what a difference it is today. I can’t thank our front office enough for investing in the development side and being on the forefront of not only (cont)Technology but having the right people in place to relay and educate us players about what the technology is saying and how to apply it. Every year there are new faces on the team and old teammates go to different teams and you begin to hear how other organizations do things A lot of players are begging to be with the Reds because of our player development. Just looking back on my own minor league career I can say that I’m not sure if I would have made it to the big leagues if it wasn’t for people like @ericjagers @drivelinebases and many others. We are doing big things here and I’m proud to put on my jersey each day and learn from the best teammates and the best coaches in the world. Go @Reds!
    (I combined 4 tweets into the one quote)

2. Likes:

BillDoran (02-23-2021),bounty37h (02-23-2021),Bourgeois Zee (02-23-2021),Chainsaw (02-23-2021),HokieRed (02-23-2021),Kurt Stillwell (02-23-2021),M2 (02-23-2021),NC Reds (02-24-2021),ochoa30 (02-23-2021),Plus Plus (02-24-2021),Red Raindog (02-23-2021),RED VAN HOT (02-23-2021),RedsFanInMS (02-23-2021),RedTeamGo! (02-23-2021),Ron Madden (02-23-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    "A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

Re: Tejay Antone sings praises of Reds player development

"A lot of players are begging to be with the Reds because of our player development."

Just no shortstops, right?

5. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (02-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRoser View Post
    "A lot of players are begging to be with the Reds because of our player development."

Just no shortstops, right?
    Shortstops aren’t pitchers, so no.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Frankly Antone's post is the best Reds news I've heard in quite a while.

8. Likes:

BillDoran (02-23-2021),Bourgeois Zee (02-23-2021),Chainsaw (02-23-2021),Jim (02-23-2021),Red Raindog (02-23-2021),RedsFanInMS (02-23-2021)

Who is the Kyle Boddy of hitting? I mean that seriously. It still seems like our hitters are out there figuring out stuff for themselves developmentally speaking. I'm glad we got a pitching development system in place, but where are the investments on training hitters. I was reading a decade ago about Red Sox hitters using eye training and reaction time software. I would love to see the same systematic, org-wide approach taken on the other side of the ball as well.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Who is the Kyle Boddy of hitting? I mean that seriously. It still seems like our hitters are out there figuring out stuff for themselves developmentally speaking. I'm glad we got a pitching development system in place, but where are the investments on training hitters. I was reading a decade ago about Red Sox hitters using eye training and reaction time software. I would love to see the same systematic, org-wide approach taken on the other side of the ball as well.
    Driveline has a hitting department as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Driveline has a hitting department as well.
    Sure, but I mean in the Reds organization.

Kyle Boddy is the Reds' Director of Pitching. His job is developing & managing an entire pitcher development infrastructure. As best I can tell, there is no Director of Hitting.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Sure, but I mean in the Reds organization.

Kyle Boddy is the Reds' Director of Pitching. His job is developing & managing an entire pitcher development infrastructure. As best I can tell, there is no Director of Hitting.
    The Reds director of hitting is actually Joe Mather

https://www.reddit.com/r/Reds/commen...omment/ghf6k4j

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Frankly Antone's post is the best Reds news I've heard in quite a while.
    Yep, it's got me relatively hopeful about what the Reds can put on the mound now and moving forward. It's also part of why I think people are sleeping on Nick Lodolo (not necessarily for making an impact this year, but for being a bad ass pitcher for the decade after that).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

HokieRed (02-23-2021),Kurt Stillwell (02-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Yep, it's got me relatively hopeful about what the Reds can put on the mound now and moving forward. It's also part of why I think people are sleeping on Nick Lodolo (not necessarily for making an impact this year, but for being a bad ass pitcher for the decade after that).
    And maybe we’re sleeping on DeLeon too.

16. Likes:

Griffey012 (02-23-2021),Kurt Stillwell (02-23-2021),Old school 1983 (02-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    And maybe we’re sleeping on DeLeon too.
    DeLeon was a mensch last year as the Bell threw him to the wolves and forced him take one for the team multiple times during blowouts, so on a personal level I hope he has a breakout season this year.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

18. Likes:

Kurt Stillwell (02-23-2021)

"A Rose by Any Other. . " RedRoser's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Shortstops aren’t pitchers, so no.
    I know he was referring to pitchers, but he never mentions the word. He just says "a lot of PLAYERS are begging to come to the Reds." Pretty sure shortstops are players, right? Also, notice the winking emoji. Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRoser View Post
    I know he was referring to pitchers, but he never mentions the word. He just says "a lot of PLAYERS are begging to come to the Reds." Pretty sure shortstops are players, right? Also, notice the winking emoji. Geez.
    My comment was meant to be taken lightly, but I’m having a horrible week (I am a freight broker), so just a bad post by me. Sorry.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

There certainly needs to be an adjustment in Reds team hitting philosophy this year. I agree that some comments, including Votto’s, suggest guys may be “figuring out stuff for themselves” as you put it.

I refuse to believe that in 2020 suddenly all the Reds hitters became unable to hit singles or that almost every Reds hitter was cursed by bad luck. There was a hitting philosophy issue of some kind.

But - they don’t have to be public about it, I have to believe they are making adjustments, and that the hitting coach and others are working on an approach for 2021.

Organizationally, Reds have said they want an organization-wide hitting approach, so hopefully that happens too.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-23-2021 at 02:05 PM.

Don't you believe BABIP?

Turn Off Ads?