Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 181

Thread: Geno to short?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Member Wheelhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,178

    Geno to short?

    Mentioned in the latest Sheldon (mlb.com). Move Moose to 3rd. Senzel to 2nd.

    This has been my thought all along:

    -Geno is a good shortstop with a big stick. There’s your “acquisition” there.
    -Moose is excellent at 3rd.
    -Maximize Senzel value at an IF position.
    -Create much needed OF at bats.

    Thoughts?
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

  2. #2
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    15,151

    Re: Geno to short?

    Not happening
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  3. Likes:

    M2 (02-24-2021)

  4. #3
    Corky is The Way Bob Sheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    This extends to all things...
    Posts
    2,036

    Re: Geno to short?

    Who would play 2nd once Senzel is injured? Then you have to shift everyone again.

    Better to keep Senzel in CF, that way Shogo can take over for him when he goes down.
    “You are not Atlas carrying the world on your shoulder. It is good to remember that the planet is carrying you.”
    ― Vandana Shiva

  5. Likes:

    TheBigLebowski (02-24-2021)

  6. #4
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    15,151

    Re: Geno to short?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Who would play 2nd once Senzel is injured? Then you have to shift everyone again.

    Better to keep Senzel in CF, that way Shogo can take over for him when he goes down.
    “Lol”, I agree about Senzel. I expect it as well. With that said, in this unrealistic scenario where Suarez moves to SS I think 2B would be manned by India in that situation. Or maybe, shudders, Dee Gordon-Strange.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  7. Likes:

    Bob Sheed (02-24-2021)

  8. #5
    Member Wheelhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,178

    Re: Geno to short?

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    “Lol”, I agree about Senzel. I expect it as well. With that said, in this unrealistic scenario where Suarez moves to SS I think 2B would be manned by India in that situation. Or maybe, shudders, Dee Gordon-Strange.
    Why unrealistic? Geno came up as a SS and played very well at the position for the Reds. In fact, he was scouted as “all glove” when the Reds got him...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

  9. Likes:

    DocRed (02-24-2021)

  10. #6
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    15,151

    Re: Geno to short?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Why unrealistic? Geno came up as a SS and played very well at the position for the Reds. In fact, he was scouted as “all glove” when the Reds got him...
    Well, for one thing his defense has been declining at 3B the last couple of years. Not sure why he would be able to handle SS now.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  11. #7
    Member Moonlite Graham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Louisville KY
    Posts
    215

    Re: Geno to short?

    Based on our current roster construction.....this IF configuration probably makes the most sense, although we could be pretty brutal defensively.

    Even given Senzel's proclivity to injury, you could always plug in Farmer as a stop gap.

    Would be much more comfortable with Kyle at 2B than for any length of time as SS.

  12. Likes:

    DocRed (02-24-2021),tripleaaaron (02-24-2021)

  13. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    30,173

    Re: Geno to short?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Mentioned in the latest Sheldon (mlb.com). Move Moose to 3rd. Senzel to 2nd.

    This has been my thought all along:

    -Geno is a good shortstop with a big stick. There’s your “acquisition” there.
    -Moose is excellent at 3rd.
    -Maximize Senzel value at an IF position.
    -Create much needed OF at bats.

    Thoughts?
    Defense?

  14. #9
    Member tripleaaaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    757

    Re: Geno to short?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Defense?
    Double post.
    Last edited by tripleaaaron; 02-24-2021 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Doubled up.
    ___________________
    Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls. More democratic. ~Bull Durham

  15. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    30,173

    Re: Geno to short?

    IMO with Suarez at short the defense would probably get worse in 4-5 positions. Short, second, Cf, LF and arguably RF. IMO the whole thing is a non-starter:

    Short - Suarez was moved off short for a reason. He’s had some defensive issues at third, shortstop is harder and requires more range.

    Second- Senzel has totally devoted himself to CF for two years or more. What’s to say he’d adjust back to middle infield defense so readily? Reds have declined to play him in infield even as a backup.

    CF - Senzel at this point has more range than Shogo. You lose that with the change.

    LF - With Shogo in CF full time, Winker stays in LF full time.

    RF - Shogo currently is available to play some RF, but again he’d be the full time CFer under the new order.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-24-2021 at 02:04 PM.

  16. Likes:

    Mitri (02-24-2021),REDREAD (02-26-2021)

  17. #11
    Member tripleaaaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fort Thomas, KY
    Posts
    757

    Re: Geno to short?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    IMO with Suarez at short the defense would probably get worse in 4-5 positions. Short, second, Cf, LF and arguably RF.

    Short - Suarez was moved off short for a reason. He’s had some trouble at third, shortstop is harder.

    Second- Senzel has totally devoted himself to CF for two years. What’s to say he’d adjust back to middle infield defense so successfully?

    CF - Senzel at this point has more range than Shogo. You lose that.

    LF - With Shogo in CF full time, Winker stays in LF full time.

    RF - Shogo now is available to play some RF, but again he’ll be the full time CFer under the new order.

    SS: 100% agree
    2B: don’t agree, I think Senzel is better than Moose there. But again. Agree that it may not be best to move Senzel again.
    3B: a tick worse but Moose is better here than 2B
    LF: I would never start Shogo over our best offensive player in Winker. So this is asinine to me. (But by never I mean as a starter, not mentioning days off).
    CF: legs aren’t the only thing. Experience makes up for legs a bit. Grade it a wash for sake of argument. AND with Naquin in the fold I don’t care about backups as he is a wash.
    RF: again. Don’t care about backup defense with naquin and Aquino here. A wash at this spot.

    I agree overall defense might be a tick worse but offensively we outweigh this pretty heavily. IMO. Again I think it comes down to future view of who fits we where in 2022 and betond as well.
    ___________________
    Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls. More democratic. ~Bull Durham

  18. Likes:

    *BaseClogger* (02-24-2021)

  19. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    30,173

    Re: Geno to short?

    Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    SS: 100% agree
    2B: don’t agree, I think Senzel is better than Moose there. But again. Agree that it may not be best to move Senzel again.
    3B: a tick worse but Moose is better here than 2B
    LF: I would never start Shogo over our best offensive player in Winker. So this is asinine to me. (But by never I mean as a starter, not mentioning days off).
    CF: legs aren’t the only thing. Experience makes up for legs a bit. Grade it a wash for sake of argument. AND with Naquin in the fold I don’t care about backups as he is a wash.
    RF: again. Don’t care about backup defense with naquin and Aquino here. A wash at this spot.

    I agree overall defense might be a tick worse but offensively we outweigh this pretty heavily. IMO. Again I think it comes down to future view of who fits we where in 2022 and betond as well.
    You may think it’s “asinine” but the current plan is to rotate four outfielders to some extent. That includes Winker, whose LF defense is below average. And even when Winker starts, he will be lifted for Shogo for defensive purposes in some games.

    This new lineup is for those who look at baseball strictly through the prism of offensive stats. Thankfully the Reds won’t view it that way.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-24-2021 at 02:17 PM.

  20. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,337

    Re: Geno to short?

    Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Senzel said in the past he wants to have one defensive spot and stick to it?

  21. #14
    Member Wheelhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3,178

    Re: Geno to short?

    Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    SS: 100% agree
    2B: don’t agree, I think Senzel is better than Moose there. But again. Agree that it may not be best to move Senzel again.
    3B: a tick worse but Moose is better here than 2B
    LF: I would never start Shogo over our best offensive player in Winker. So this is asinine to me. (But by never I mean as a starter, not mentioning days off).
    CF: legs aren’t the only thing. Experience makes up for legs a bit. Grade it a wash for sake of argument. AND with Naquin in the fold I don’t care about backups as he is a wash.
    RF: again. Don’t care about backup defense with naquin and Aquino here. A wash at this spot.

    I agree overall defense might be a tick worse but offensively we outweigh this pretty heavily. IMO. Again I think it comes down to future view of who fits we where in 2022 and betond as well.
    Geno was excellent at ss, and was moved only because the Reds lost Frazier, and still had Zack Cozart in 2016. He’s a fine shortstop, and with his bat, he’d be up there with the top ss in the league.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

  22. #15
    Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    LA, by way of Athens
    Posts
    181

    Re: Geno to short?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    IMO with Suarez at short the defense would probably get worse in 4-5 positions. Short, second, Cf, LF and arguably RF.

    Short - Suarez was moved off short for a reason. He’s had some defensive issues at third, shortstop is harder and requires more range.

    Second- Senzel has totally devoted himself to CF for two years or more. What’s to say he’d adjust back to middle infield defense so readily? Reds have declined to play him in infield even as a backup.

    CF - Senzel at this point has more range than Shogo. You lose that.

    LF - With Shogo in CF full time, Winker stays in LF full time.

    RF - Shogo currently is available to play some RF, but again he’ll be the full time CFer under the new order.
    Sure, but if Lorenzen is awful, you slot him in at CF. Winker's defense can be hidden at 1B because Votto was always destined to play LF, per RedsZone circa 2009.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator