Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno to short?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Geno to short?

Mentioned in the latest Sheldon (mlb.com). Move Moose to 3rd. Senzel to 2nd.

This has been my thought all along:

-Geno is a good shortstop with a big stick. There’s your “acquisition” there.
    -Moose is excellent at 3rd.
    -Maximize Senzel value at an IF position.
    -Create much needed OF at bats.

Thoughts?
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Re: Geno to short?

Not happening
    What would you say.....ya do here?

3. Likes:

M2 (02-24-2021)

Who would play 2nd once Senzel is injured? Then you have to shift everyone again.

Better to keep Senzel in CF, that way Shogo can take over for him when he goes down.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

5. Likes:

TheBigLebowski (02-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Who would play 2nd once Senzel is injured? Then you have to shift everyone again.

Better to keep Senzel in CF, that way Shogo can take over for him when he goes down.
    “Lol”, I agree about Senzel. I expect it as well. With that said, in this unrealistic scenario where Suarez moves to SS I think 2B would be manned by India in that situation. Or maybe, shudders, Dee Gordon-Strange.

7. Likes:

Bob Sheed (02-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    “Lol”, I agree about Senzel. I expect it as well. With that said, in this unrealistic scenario where Suarez moves to SS I think 2B would be manned by India in that situation. Or maybe, shudders, Dee Gordon-Strange.
    Why unrealistic? Geno came up as a SS and played very well at the position for the Reds. In fact, he was scouted as “all glove” when the Reds got him...

9. Likes:

DocRed (02-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Why unrealistic? Geno came up as a SS and played very well at the position for the Reds. In fact, he was scouted as “all glove” when the Reds got him...
    Well, for one thing his defense has been declining at 3B the last couple of years. Not sure why he would be able to handle SS now.

Based on our current roster construction.....this IF configuration probably makes the most sense, although we could be pretty brutal defensively.

Even given Senzel's proclivity to injury, you could always plug in Farmer as a stop gap.

Would be much more comfortable with Kyle at 2B than for any length of time as SS.

12. Likes:

DocRed (02-24-2021),tripleaaaron (02-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Mentioned in the latest Sheldon (mlb.com). Move Moose to 3rd. Senzel to 2nd.

This has been my thought all along:

-Geno is a good shortstop with a big stick. There’s your “acquisition” there.
    -Moose is excellent at 3rd.
    -Maximize Senzel value at an IF position.
    -Create much needed OF at bats.

Thoughts?
    Defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Defense?
    Double post.
    Last edited by tripleaaaron; 02-24-2021 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Doubled up.

IMO with Suarez at short the defense would probably get worse in 4-5 positions. Short, second, Cf, LF and arguably RF. IMO the whole thing is a non-starter:

Short - Suarez was moved off short for a reason. He’s had some defensive issues at third, shortstop is harder and requires more range.

Second- Senzel has totally devoted himself to CF for two years or more. What’s to say he’d adjust back to middle infield defense so readily? Reds have declined to play him in infield even as a backup.

CF - Senzel at this point has more range than Shogo. You lose that with the change.

LF - With Shogo in CF full time, Winker stays in LF full time.

RF - Shogo currently is available to play some RF, but again he’d be the full time CFer under the new order.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-24-2021 at 02:04 PM.

16. Likes:

Mitri (02-24-2021),REDREAD (02-26-2021)

IMO with Suarez at short the defense would probably get worse in 4-5 positions. Short, second, Cf, LF and arguably RF.

Short - Suarez was moved off short for a reason. He’s had some trouble at third, shortstop is harder.

Second- Senzel has totally devoted himself to CF for two years. What’s to say he’d adjust back to middle infield defense so successfully?

CF - Senzel at this point has more range than Shogo. You lose that.

RF - Shogo now is available to play some RF, but again he’ll be the full time CFer under the new order.

SS: 100% agree
    2B: don’t agree, I think Senzel is better than Moose there. But again. Agree that it may not be best to move Senzel again.
    3B: a tick worse but Moose is better here than 2B
    LF: I would never start Shogo over our best offensive player in Winker. So this is asinine to me. (But by never I mean as a starter, not mentioning days off).
    CF: legs aren’t the only thing. Experience makes up for legs a bit. Grade it a wash for sake of argument. AND with Naquin in the fold I don’t care about backups as he is a wash.
    RF: again. Don’t care about backup defense with naquin and Aquino here. A wash at this spot.

I agree overall defense might be a tick worse but offensively we outweigh this pretty heavily. IMO. Again I think it comes down to future view of who fits we where in 2022 and betond as well.

18. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (02-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    2B: don’t agree, I think Senzel is better than Moose there. But again. Agree that it may not be best to move Senzel again.
    LF: I would never start Shogo over our best offensive player in Winker. So this is asinine to me. (But by never I mean as a starter, not mentioning days off).
    CF: legs aren’t the only thing. Experience makes up for legs a bit. Grade it a wash for sake of argument. AND with Naquin in the fold I don’t care about backups as he is a wash.
    RF: again. Don’t care about backup defense with naquin and Aquino here. A wash at this spot.

I agree overall defense might be a tick worse but offensively we outweigh this pretty heavily. IMO. Again I think it comes down to future view of who fits we where in 2022 and betond as well.
    You may think it’s “asinine” but the current plan is to rotate four outfielders to some extent. That includes Winker, whose LF defense is below average. And even when Winker starts, he will be lifted for Shogo for defensive purposes in some games.

This new lineup is for those who look at baseball strictly through the prism of offensive stats. Thankfully the Reds won’t view it that way.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-24-2021 at 02:17 PM.

Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Senzel said in the past he wants to have one defensive spot and stick to it?

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post

Geno was excellent at ss, and was moved only because the Reds lost Frazier, and still had Zack Cozart in 2016. He’s a fine shortstop, and with his bat, he’d be up there with the top ss in the league.

Baseball means warmth Joeyjection19's Avatar

IMO with Suarez at short the defense would probably get worse in 4-5 positions. Short, second, Cf, LF and arguably RF.

Short - Suarez was moved off short for a reason. He’s had some defensive issues at third, shortstop is harder and requires more range.

Second- Senzel has totally devoted himself to CF for two years or more. What’s to say he’d adjust back to middle infield defense so readily? Reds have declined to play him in infield even as a backup.

CF - Senzel at this point has more range than Shogo. You lose that.

RF - Shogo currently is available to play some RF, but again he’ll be the full time CFer under the new order.
    Sure, but if Lorenzen is awful, you slot him in at CF. Winker's defense can be hidden at 1B because Votto was always destined to play LF, per RedsZone circa 2009.

Turn Off Ads?