Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno to short?

Re: Geno to short?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He asked a question everyone knows the answer to, then got the answer everyone expected. That’s not news. That’s not reporting. That’s creating a story just to have something to write. Others do it, but Sheldon usually doesn’t.

It’s a fair question to ask, but reporters ask dozens of fair questions every day. Deciding which ones to write about is the key to journalism. No need to write this story, except to stir the pot.
    Unless he's just lying, then no, not everyone knows the answer to that question. He's being asked about it on Twitter. Not every fan frequents RedsZone and knows the historical dWAR for the entire 40 man roster. Could it have just been a Tweet rather than one part of a notes article? Probably. But I think it's a bit of an overreaction to question the guy's journalistic integrity over it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Unless he's just lying, then no, not everyone knows the answer to that question. He's being asked about it on Twitter. Not every fan frequents RedsZone and knows the historical dWAR for the entire 40 man roster. Could it have just been a Tweet rather than one part of a notes article? Probably. But I think it's a bit of an overreaction to question the guy's journalistic integrity over it.
    You’re right, it should have been a tweet, and the tweet is simple: “No, Suarez is not moving back to SS.” Nothing else needs to be said. But I understand that this spring is boring and Sheldon has nothing else to write about.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    Which is why they will manipulate his service time with Kyles/DSG until Garcia is “ready”. I think a little AAA time will be good for him for obvious reasons. Not sure how long I’ll be able to watch Kyle Farmer starting at SS, though. It’s a really dumb predicament Krall has boxed himself into.
    I struggle to say that putting Garcia in the minors is “manipulating his service time.” He needs work.

Believe it or not players do need grooming in the minors.

Now if you think that no exceptions, the “best” 25 guys need to be in Cincinnati or else manipulation is going on, we just totally disagree.

Garcia needs work. It’s not manipulation if he gets it in the minors.

5. Likes:

BillDoran (02-24-2021),Coopdaddy67 (02-24-2021),Edd Roush (02-24-2021),ochoa30 (02-24-2021),REDREAD (02-26-2021),Revering4Blue (02-24-2021),UKFlounder (02-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I struggle to say that putting Garcia in the minors is “manipulating his service time.” He needs work.

Now if you think that no exceptions, the “best” 25 guys need to be in Cincinnati or else manipulation is going on, we just totally disagree.

I don't really care whether it is or not, I don't find service time manipulation discussions all that interesting. My point was that Garcia looks to be the best option going forward, even if he could use at least another year in the minors. I find that to be obvious, others may disagree. Yet reading between the lines, the Reds are setting things up so that there will be a "competition" between these guys, and one of Holder/Farmer/DSG will look good enough to start on opening day, and they'll argue that Garcia needs more work in the minors. In other words, I think we'll see them move the discussion from "who's the best SS for the Reds right now" to "Garcia needs work, and one of these guys looks good enough for now". And one of the reasons for this (not the only reason) will be to get another year of control on Garcia.

I think the starting shortstop is not on the team yet. I can't see them going with any of the options once they see some games in the preseason. I think they will wait to see if a viable shortstop gets released near the end of spring training or they might try to still swing a trade for a lesser shortstop. If not, I think it has to be Garcia as this team needs all the defense it can get.
    "Baseball is only dull to those with dull minds."

8. Likes:

757690 (02-24-2021),mth123 (02-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

The way people talk about Garcia around here you'd think he's Wander Franco. He's a top 100 prospect that bombed in his first taste of the bigs.

Manipulating service time? There's no certainty he can even play in the MLB or will ever reach free agency.

That'd be some real galactic brain thinking--worrying over service time on a guy that's proved nothing--which seems well within the realm of possibility for the Reds front office.

10. Likes:

REDREAD (02-26-2021),Revering4Blue (02-24-2021)

the reds are aware of one important fact:

clown shows must have clowns.

We wouldn't have this discussion if Mr. Krall had made a legitimate offer to one of the free agent SS's this offseason.

13. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (02-24-2021),kaldaniels (02-24-2021),REDREAD (02-26-2021)

Suarez will probably only play SS in an emergency situation. Kind of like how there used to be a lot of discussion about Brandon Phillips playing SS. He played an inning there in 2007 and then another inning in 2015.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

15. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Suarez will probably only play SS in an emergency situation. Kind of like how there used to be a lot of discussion about Brandon Phillips playing SS. He played an inning there in 2007 and then another inning in 2015.
    But we will always have those 2 glorious innings

Ok, stay with me here...

We've been discussing SS as though we're looking for a standard every day, every inning, fixture in the lineup player. Since Krall couldn't bring that guy on board, SS is likely to be a shared position unless and until Garcia proves something in AAA.

So why not consider Suarez as part of the shared solution at SS? Use him as an "opener" at the position in a certain number of games to maximize offense. That's a way to get Shogo and Senzel both in the lineup together. Maybe after a couple trips thru the lineup you double switch and Suarez goes back to 3b and Senzel goes back to the outfield to sure up the defense rest of the game. Against left hand pitching I think we'll see Farmer at SS. But against rhp I think Bell could use Suarez at SS for some limited number of innings as part of the SS solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Defense?
    Double post.
    Last edited by tripleaaaron; 02-24-2021 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Doubled up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Defense?
    I think the defense may be a wash. Moose: better at 3B than 2B. Senzel better at 2B than CF and better than Moose. Shogo knows CF even if legs aren’t what they used to be. SS is rough though this is far and away our best lineup.

The real downside here is not defense but the future. If Garcia is our SS of the future why move Suarez there temporarily. I guess this al depends on what our FO envisions for the next 2-3 years. Where does India fit? Who replaces Votto at 1B? Do we like Senzel in CF, etc. While I think the future looks fairly bleak our two top and closest offensive players fit in the infield. Why muddy that up even more with moving Senzel back to the IF?

IMO with Suarez at short the defense would probably get worse in 4-5 positions. Short, second, Cf, LF and arguably RF. IMO the whole thing is a non-starter:

Short - Suarez was moved off short for a reason. He’s had some defensive issues at third, shortstop is harder and requires more range.

Second- Senzel has totally devoted himself to CF for two years or more. What’s to say he’d adjust back to middle infield defense so readily? Reds have declined to play him in infield even as a backup.

CF - Senzel at this point has more range than Shogo. You lose that with the change.

LF - With Shogo in CF full time, Winker stays in LF full time.

RF - Shogo currently is available to play some RF, but again he’d be the full time CFer under the new order.
    Last edited by Kc61; 02-24-2021 at 02:04 PM.

21. Likes:

Mitri (02-24-2021),REDREAD (02-26-2021)

Kearns can play 3rd as well.
    Go Gators!

23. Likes:

757690 (02-24-2021),cumberlandreds (02-24-2021),Griffey012 (02-24-2021),Roy Tucker (02-24-2021),The Operator (02-24-2021),topsyt (02-25-2021)

Turn Off Ads?