Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Geno to short?

Re: Geno to short?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Geno was excellent at ss, and was moved only because the Reds lost Frazier, and still had Zack Cozart in 2016. He’s a fine shortstop, and with his bat, he’d be up there with the top ss in the league.
    That’s just not true, though. In 2015, his last year at SS, Suarez had -12 DRS and had poor defensive metrics across the board.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

Griffey012 (02-24-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    How big of a runs gap do you expect from Suarez between 3B and SS and are you taking the positional adjustment he'll receive for his offensive contributions coming from SS into account for that 2.0 WAR projection?
    I don’t want to derail this thread so I won’t go deep into this, but this positional adjustment based on scarcity is a major problem I have with WAR. This is more aimed at fantasy baseball needs than a real team’s needs.

Scarcity is much bigger issue for fantasy baseball, where you are starting from scratch, or doing a big rebuild every season. But with a MLB team, with little turnover each year, sacristy is a much smaller issue.

What matters to a team in what is the raw production that a player provides that season, that is what leads to wins and losses for that season, not how hard it is to replace that production at that position.

If Suarez commits 40 errors at shortstop with limited range, he shouldn’t get bonus points because he is one of the few SS who also hits 40+ HR’s. What matters is his actual production, how many runs his defense lets in and how many runs his offense creates. That is what leads to wins each year. That is what WAR should be about.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

5. Likes:

bm1475 (02-25-2021),Griffey012 (02-24-2021)

Geno was excellent at ss, and was moved only because the Reds lost Frazier, and still had Zack Cozart in 2016. He’s a fine shortstop, and with his bat, he’d be up there with the top ss in the league.
    This is the first time I believe I have seen excellent at SS used to describe Geno Suarez. He was at best fine when he first came to the Reds, essentially he would make the routine plays and not offer a lot else defensively at the position.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Re-energized and leaner, Reds third baseman says 'this is going to be my year'
    So much about the 2020 season was different with no fans in the ballparks and, for some, no family in town. Few on the Reds felt this was missing more than third baseman Eugenio Suárez, who endured a down year of offensive production.

“For me, it was harder because my family wasn’t with me. I wanted my family back, I wanted that support, and I wanted the fan support,” Suárez said from Spring Training on Wednesday. “When you watch it back, my last year wasn’t good. I don’t feel happy about last year. Talking about myself, not the team. We made the playoffs and everything. But especially on myself, I’m better than that. I’m not a .200 hitter.”

Once the season ended, Suárez rededicated himself to getting better and stronger physically. He dropped 15 pounds by cutting beef, pasta, rice and beer from his diet and staying with chicken, fish and quinoa. He was noticeably leaner to the club when he arrived at camp.

“Right now, I feel so good, I feel like my body feels very good, my energy is high,” Suárez said. “This is a new version of myself. I’m working so hard in the offseason that I want to see what the hard work brings to me. I believe this is going to be my year. This is going to be a better year than last year.”

“This year, my goal is to break my own record,” Suárez said. "This year in 2021, I hope, and I believe and I feel it’s going to be a special year for me. I’m going for 50 homers. I don’t know if it’s going to happen, but I will go for 50.”

Reds manager David Bell plans to keep Suárez in the middle of the order. He most often batted fourth last season.
    “He does a lot of damage. When he puts the ball in play, it usually leads to runs,” Bell said.
    Mark Sheldon reds.com

8. Likes:

BillDoran (02-25-2021)

pure palaver

It’s been a while but I don’t remember him being “excellent” at SS.

The last time he played more than 3 games there was 2015 and he wound up with 19 errors, at a pace for 32 over a full season.

And now, 6 seasons later, we’re gonna ask him to move back there even though he’s older, bigger and inevitably has less range now? I could be wrong but I’m just not seeing it.

And that’s not to mention the fact that moving players away from their normal position, especially to a demanding premium position like SS, can and very well could have a major negative effect on his offensive game. It has happened before.

The fact that we’re even discussing this just shows what an abysmal failure this organization is. The Reds are a clown show and the buck stops with Mr. Big Shot “The Losing Stops Now!!!11” Castellini.

Big Bob loves to run his mouth but no writers ever have the stones to call him out when he doesn’t deliver.
    Last edited by The Operator; 02-24-2021 at 09:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (02-26-2021)

Geno to SS is a terrible idea...

... but its a better idea than Dee Strange-Gordon.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Suarez going for 50 homers means 200+ strikeouts, .190 average and tons of runners left on base.

Quote Originally Posted by CrosleyVet View Post
    Suarez going for 50 homers means 200+ strikeouts, .190 average and tons of runners left on base.
    Suarez had 49 homers in 2019 with a .271 average and 189 Ks. So, 200 Ks? Maybe. .190 average? Doubtful.

15. Likes:

Ron Madden (02-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Suarez had 49 homers in 2019 with a .271 average and 189 Ks. So, 200 Ks? Maybe. .190 average? Doubtful.
    Yes, but when you make a statement like that in spring training, you're setting yourself up for pressing to do it.

Yes, but when you make a statement like that in spring training, you're setting yourself up for pressing to do it.
    Everyone makes statements like this is Spring Training.

Votto's found a new swing. So has Farmer. Greene's going to make the club out of Spring Training. Antone's going to be a top starter.

There is literally nothing to indicate Suarez will sell out for power, largely because he's shown he has the power without having to sell out.

18. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-25-2021),Ron Madden (02-25-2021),tripleaaaron (02-25-2021)

I will seriously bet you $100 right now Suarez doesn’t bat below .200 for the 2021 season.

Seriously. Do you have venmo?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I don’t want to derail this thread so I won’t go deep into this, but this positional adjustment based on scarcity is a major problem I have with WAR. This is more aimed at fantasy baseball needs than a real team’s needs.

Scarcity is much bigger issue for fantasy baseball, where you are starting from scratch, or doing a big rebuild every season. But with a MLB team, with little turnover each year, sacristy is a much smaller issue.

What matters to a team in what is the raw production that a player provides that season, that is what leads to wins and losses for that season, not how hard it is to replace that production at that position.

If Suarez commits 40 errors at shortstop with limited range, he shouldn’t get bonus points because he is one of the few SS who also hits 40+ HR’s. What matters is his actual production, how many runs his defense lets in and how many runs his offense creates. That is what leads to wins each year. That is what WAR should be about.
    I don't quite understand this objection. The reason why Suarez is (potentially) more valuable at short is precisely because the offensive gap between Garcia/Gordon and Senzel/Shogo could be larger than the defensive gap between Suarez and Garcia/Gordon.

It's actually a move driven principally by scarcity: namely the scarcity of proven shortstops on the Reds' roster. Otherwise I doubt it would ever be considered.

21. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-25-2021),HammerTime (02-25-2021)

Part of me says just stick him at SS and roll the dice. Gets Shogo in the lineup too, who was coming along nicely at the end of last year.

23. Likes:

Edd Roush (02-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Re-energized and leaner, Reds third baseman says 'this is going to be my year'

Mark Sheldon reds.com
    I can't believe Sheldon wrote this. Players always say they're going to have a big year. Chasing clicks. Sad.

Turn Off Ads?