Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 59 of 59

Thread: All Time Reds Defensive Out of Position Team

  1. #46
    Member marcshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Becoming an adult is probably the dumbest thing you could ever do.
    Posts
    9,756

    Re: All Time Reds Defensive Out of Position Team

    fwiw, I remember Dan Driessen as a terrible third baseman (I was young, though). Apparently that was an experiment that began in the minors, but didn't work out. I always liked his bat, though, and was happy he was much better at first base.
    And no birds sing - Keats

    The ditch is nearer - Lowell


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Venice
    Posts
    26,652

    Re: All Time Reds Defensive Out of Position Team

    IIRC, Driessen was so bad at 3B, it caused Howsam to get John Vucovich, who was great defender at third but couldn’t hit a lick. Sparky hated that move so much that he pinch hit Driessen for Vucovich in the second inning of a game early in the season.

    Of course, we all know that that lead to Sparky moving Rose to 3B allowing Foster to start in LF, and the rest is history.
    That’s why we’re playing, bro

  4. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: All Time Reds Defensive Out of Position Team

    larry biitner could not play anywhere

  5. #49
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    28,709

    Re: All Time Reds Defensive Out of Position Team

    I have a vague memory of Javier Valentin playing at 3B at Yankee Stadium.

    And I remember one season where 5'9" Brayan Peña started more games at 1B than C. (I think he set some kind of club record for most games at 1B by a player under 5'10".)
    Last edited by Big Klu; 02-26-2021 at 12:26 AM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  6. #50
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    61,503

    Re: All Time Reds Defensive Out of Position Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I have a vague memory of Javier Valentin playing at 3B at Yankee Stadium.
    Nice recall, I'd blocked that Dusty experiment

    https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...&t=f&year=2008
    Go Gators!

  7. #51
    Moderator cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Mid Atlantic, USA
    Posts
    14,116

    Re: All Time Reds Defensive Out of Position Team

    Johnny Bench played 3rd base fairly regularly for a couple of seasons IIRC. He was a true statue at third as all the years of catching had made him non mobile. I know he played some CF and RF in his younger days to give him a day off from catching. But I"m sure he was much better at those positions that 3rd. Mainly by being just younger.

    Driessen was horrific at 3rd. He a true scatter arm and anyone sitting behind 1st base had better be on guard.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  8. Likes:

    marcshoe (02-26-2021)

  9. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: All Time Reds Defensive Out of Position Team

    ncik castellanos is no deft fielder

  10. #53
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    28,709

    Re: All Time Reds Defensive Out of Position Team

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Johnny Bench played 3rd base fairly regularly for a couple of seasons IIRC. He was a true statue at third as all the years of catching had made him non mobile. I know he played some CF and RF in his younger days to give him a day off from catching. But I"m sure he was much better at those positions that 3rd. Mainly by being just younger.

    Driessen was horrific at 3rd. He a true scatter arm and anyone sitting behind 1st base had better be on guard.
    I always thought that the Reds traded the wrong player away when they acquired Cesar Cedeño prior to the 1982 season. (Of course, whether they should have traded for him at all is another question, and a fair one to ask.) But after they had purged the roster of the entire starting outfield of George Foster, Ken Griffey, and Dave Collins, they had to get someone to play out there. Dick Wagner decided to trade Ray Knight to the Astros for Cedeño, and open up 3B for Johnny Bench (while also opening up C for Alex Treviño, who had been acquired from the Mets in the Foster trade). The funny thing is, the Astros ended up playing Knight a lot at 1B, since they already had Art Howe at 3B.

    I always thought they should have traded Driessen for Cedeño (and maybe they could have gotten a prospect as well, since Driessen probably had more trade value than Knight), which would have opened up 1B for Bench.

    On a somewhat unrelated note, Eddie Milner should have been starting somewhere in the OF Opening Day in 1982. He was clearly a better player than either Clint Hurdle or Paul Householder -- he just didn't have their pedigree.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  11. Likes:

    cumberlandreds (02-26-2021),RedsBaron (02-28-2021)

  12. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: All Time Reds Defensive Out of Position Team

    on a positive note the epic rafael landestoy fielded 1000 for the juggernaut that was the 1982 reds

  13. #55
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    28,709

    Re: All Time Reds Defensive Out of Position Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    on a positive note the epic rafael landestoy fielded 1000 for the juggernaut that was the 1982 reds
    On a negative note, Landestoy was third on the 1982 club in PH appearances with 38, behind Larry Biittner (55) and the illustrious German Barranca (41).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  14. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: All Time Reds Defensive Out of Position Team

    wow some of my all time favorites along with tom lawless and the heralded wayne krenchicki

  15. #57
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    28,709

    Re: All Time Reds Defensive Out of Position Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Berenyi View Post
    wow some of my all time favorites along with tom lawless and the heralded wayne krenchicki
    I actually liked Larry Biittner. He was a solid bat off the bench, and his 1978 Topps card was in the first pack of baseball cards I ever bought, when I was 8 years old.

    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  16. Likes:

    cumberlandreds (02-27-2021)

  17. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    706

    Re: All Time Reds Defensive Out of Position Team

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I always thought that the Reds traded the wrong player away when they acquired Cesar Cedeño prior to the 1982 season. (Of course, whether they should have traded for him at all is another question, and a fair one to ask.) But after they had purged the roster of the entire starting outfield of George Foster, Ken Griffey, and Dave Collins, they had to get someone to play out there. Dick Wagner decided to trade Ray Knight to the Astros for Cedeño, and open up 3B for Johnny Bench (while also opening up C for Alex Treviño, who had been acquired from the Mets in the Foster trade). The funny thing is, the Astros ended up playing Knight a lot at 1B, since they already had Art Howe at 3B.

    I always thought they should have traded Driessen for Cedeño (and maybe they could have gotten a prospect as well, since Driessen probably had more trade value than Knight), which would have opened up 1B for Bench.

    On a somewhat unrelated note, Eddie Milner should have been starting somewhere in the OF Opening Day in 1982. He was clearly a better player than either Clint Hurdle or Paul Householder -- he just didn't have their pedigree.
    Funny thing, back then, I would've and did put a premium on 3rd Basemen over CFers. I was furious that Wagner let our whole outfield go and then replaced one piece by getting rid of the first decent fielding 3rd baseman(except for Menke) we had since I followed them. My thought was if they could live with Bobby Tolan there through two world series appearances, they certainly could find a CFer easier than a 3B. And back then I think it was the truth. Forward 40 years and 3rd baseman seem to be a dime a dozen while I now would put a premium on CFers.

    Also, just a hunch, but they didn't want to trade Driessen because they would be admitting letting Perez go 5 years earlier was the biggest screw-up since Frank Robinson.

  18. Likes:

    Big Klu (02-28-2021),RedsBaron (02-28-2021)

  19. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    1,361

    Re: All Time Reds Defensive Out of Position Team

    they got dale murrey he was fantastic!!!!!!!! he reminded me of Ben Hayes, and a bit of Milt Hill and Ray Washburn tossed in


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator