Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jesse Winker: “I’m an outfielder,” “I’m not a DH.”

Jesse Winker: “I’m an outfielder,” “I’m not a DH.”

Jesse Winker hopes to play the field more consistently in 2021. “I’m an outfielder,” he said. “I’m not a DH.”

Charlie Goldsmith @CharlieG__
    Reporting this story on Jesse Winker, I was interested to see how he was used as an outfielder last season.

Winker played 16 games in the field last year in the regular season. He started 12 games in left field and one in right field, and he came off the bench 3 times.

Of those 16 games, Jesse Winker played five complete games in the field last season. The Reds went 1-4 in those games. You don't know this for sure, but you can assume his bat was the biggest reason he stayed in the lineup for most of those games since the Reds were trailing.

Winker played one complete game in the field in a game the Reds won last season: Aug. 28 against the Cubs.

Let's break it down further.

Jesse Winker started eight other games in the outfield last season. The Reds went 6-2 in those games.

One of those losses was a game in St. Louis in August that the Reds blew in the ninth inning. The Reds led 4-2, pulled Winker for Travis Jankowski late in the game and then allowed 3 runs in the ninth.

The other was after the Reds clinched a playoff berth and a few starters sat.

Let's look at the six wins where the Reds pulled Winker.

Travis Jankowksi replaced Winker as a pinch-runner or in the outfield in four of those games when the Reds were leading or tied. Presumably, this was for defensive or baserunning reasons.

In the fifth game, Shogo Akiyama replaced Winker in left field in the bottom half of the last inning when the Reds were leading.

In the sixth game, Winker was ejected against the Cubs.

So I think this shows why Winker has focused so much on defense and improving his overall speed this offseason.

We'll see what happens in 2021. With improvements in this area, he'll likely have a better chance of playing more complete games.
    IMO This new guy Charlie Goldsmith sure does a better job than John Fay ever did covering the Reds for the Enquirer.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 02-27-2021 at 04:22 PM.

2. Likes:

Banshee (04-29-2021),forfreelin04 (02-27-2021),goldglover9 (02-28-2021),M2 (04-27-2021),NC Reds (02-28-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jesse Winker: “I’m an outfielder,” “I’m not a DH.”

He’s right. He should be the starter and Shogo would be the bench player. Bringing in Shogo never made sense and all it was going to do was take away bats from Winker. Two years ago the Reds should have gone all in with Winker but they used him as a platoon player. He needs to play every day IMO.

5. Likes:

REDREAD (03-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Jesse Winker hopes to play the field more consistently in 2021. “I’m an outfielder,” he said. “I’m not a DH.”

IMO This new guy Charlie Goldsmith sure does a better job than John Fay ever did covering the Reds for the Enquirer.
    I just gave him a follow. I asked him a question and he answered. Already on my Good list!!
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

7. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (03-02-2021),Ron Madden (02-28-2021)

Winker cant get past half a game without getting hurt. Reds need to move on from this kid.

Jesse Winker: “I’m an outfielder,”
    Me: "I'm a Lumberjack."

10. Likes:

cumberlandreds (03-02-2021),M2 (03-02-2021),marcshoe (03-01-2021),westofyou (03-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by plantmanky View Post
    Winker cant get past half a game without getting hurt. Reds need to move on from this kid.
    Tough crowd

12. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (03-02-2021),Bourgeois Zee (03-02-2021),goreds2 (03-01-2021),mbgrayson (04-27-2021),NebraskaRed (03-01-2021),OGB (05-07-2021),Revering4Blue (03-01-2021),Ron Madden (04-28-2021),Wonderful Monds (03-01-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Winker: "I'm not a cat."
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

14. Likes:

M2 (03-02-2021),UKFlounder (03-01-2021)

"But, I've got people skills!"
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

16. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Jesse Winker: “I’m an outfielder,”
    Me: "I'm a Lumberjack."
    But are you okay?
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

18. Likes:

M2 (03-02-2021),mbgrayson (04-27-2021),mth123 (03-02-2021)

Maybe what Jesse should have said, based on his performance out there to date - "I identify as an outfielder" LOL

My biggest "thing" with him has been his health (back), but he's entering his prime so let it shine Jesse.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

20. Likes:

REDREAD (03-09-2021)

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__
    Jesse Winker says everything that’s happening is “really precautionary.”

“I think it’s the right thing."

Charlie Goldsmith, Cincinnati Enquirer
    In the first week of position player workouts at Spring Training, Cincinnati Reds manager David Bell said he noticed outfielder Jesse Winker hit the ground running.

Winker took extra reps in left field and center field. He took extra batting practice where he was swinging for the fences. After being completely healthy throughout the winter, Winker said he had the best offseason of his baseball career, and Bell said Winker looked in shape during his first week in Goodyear.

Winker suffered a brief setback this week with a sore hip, but it isn’t expected to keep him out for long.“I just think, to be honest with you, that it’s just a little sore and tight,” Winker said. “Everything that’s happening is just really precautionary.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-02-2021 at 07:48 PM.

Didn't really have a place to post this so...

@Jared_Carrabis

Since the start of last season, here’s the list of qualified players who have a .990 OPS or better: Juan Soto, Mike Trout, Ronald Acuña Jr., Freddie Freeman, Nelson Cruz, Bryce Harper.....Jesse Winker.

23. Likes:

BillDoran (04-27-2021),Edd Roush (04-27-2021),Griffey012 (04-27-2021),Kinsm (04-27-2021),Mitri (04-27-2021),Old school 1983 (04-27-2021)

IMHO he's easily the best position player on the club. No reason he shouldn't be playing all the time.

25. Likes:

dfs (04-27-2021),Kinsm (04-27-2021),mbgrayson (04-27-2021),Old school 1983 (04-27-2021),SirFelixCat (04-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by HammerTime View Post
    Didn't really have a place to post this so...

@Jared_Carrabis

Since the start of last season, here’s the list of qualified players who have a .990 OPS or better: Juan Soto, Mike Trout, Ronald Acuña Jr., Freddie Freeman, Nelson Cruz, Bryce Harper.....Jesse Winker.
    Nelson Cruz. One of the most underrated players in baseball. The ageless one. All he does is hit. Hits for power and average. I know he is a DH but still. Guy is a amazing hitter.
    As for Winker. I believe he can be a MVP one day. Health is always the main concern with him. I use to get so upset with Bell platooning him. Glad that appears to be over.

Listened to the Dodgers TV broadcast crew. Didn't realize Wink is top 5 in the majors in OPS since the start of last season. And that was before the tater.
    On a side note, Castellanos leads the majors in EBH over the last 5 years.

On a sider note. Seems like a good combo to bat 3 and 4.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

28. Likes:

malcontent (04-28-2021)

Turn Off Ads?