Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: The Tea Leaves (tm) predict the opening day roster

Re: The Tea Leaves (tm) predict the opening day roster

Jose De Leon is terrible.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    One never knows when 2021's version of Billy Hatcher will become available.
    I hope three of them do very quickly. One that plays MI and hits lefty, one that hits RH and can play 1B and 3B and one who is a solid relief pitcher (or starter). The Reds need to bump some minor leaguers off the roster (Romano, Blandino and Farmer)
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

C. Trent Rosecrans
    @ctrent
    #Reds roster won't be finalized until tomorrow. The Joey Votto decision will impact things.

The bullpen has three spots, IMO, that are fungible: Perez (who has an option), Romano (a last man on the 40 type long reliever), and Fulmer. Doolittle is a question mark as well, at this point. But having Antone back as a relief arm is big. He can bridge that multi-inning gap and save a 'pen once a week, basically, as a piggyback starter guy. Having Antone behind Miley, DeLeon, or Hoffman will be nice. Cionel Perez may be put in the same situation from the left side. (It'd probably be a good use of his talents and keep him relatively stretched out as well, should they need another starter early in the season.)

I'm guessing that Krall is planning for the season's long haul by providing Romano, Doolittle, and Fulmer innings early in the season before leaning on his relief depth. He's hoping to get quality innings out them, but jettisoning at least one of ineffective relief arm in late April for AAA depth strikes me as the most likely event. (The later in April that happens, the better it will be for the team, I think.) It'll be interesting to see how those AAA arms will be handled.

It may also come down to when Lorenzen and Gray come back. Right now, both are expected to be back mid-month. That pushes DeLeon (one option), Hoffman, and perhaps one of the aforementioned relief arms to the IL or off the team after only an appearance or two. I'd expect DeLeon to be moved to AAA to start, as he has the option. Who else goes when Lorenzen/ Gray return: Hoffman? He'd seem to be the fifth starter's fifth starter. Perez? If they like how everyone's going, he does have an option. Romano? He'd seem to be the last man on my personal totem.

Expect each bullpen arm to be put in situations early to gauge how they do. Expect some bumps.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 03-31-2021 at 02:53 PM.

6. Likes:

Mitri (03-31-2021)

Not sure why there is a Votto decision to be made. Did he not play 8 innings in the last exhibition with good plays at 1B and hard hit balls?

8. Likes:

M2 (03-31-2021),REDREAD (03-31-2021),Ron Madden (03-31-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    The bullpen has three spots, IMO, that are fungible: Perez (who has an option), Romano (a last man on the 40 type long reliever), and Fulmer. Doolittle is a question mark as well, at this point. But having Antone back as a relief arm is big. He can bridge that multi-inning gap and save a 'pen once a week, basically, as a piggyback starter guy. Having Antone behind Miley, DeLeon, or Hoffman will be nice. Cionel Perez may be put in the same situation from the left side. (It'd probably be a good use of his talents and keep him relatively stretched out as well, should they need another starter early in the season.)

I'm guessing that Krall is planning for the season's long haul by providing Romano, Doolittle, and Fulmer innings early in the season before leaning on his relief depth. He's hoping to get quality innings out them, but jettisoning at least one of ineffective relief arm in late April for AAA depth strikes me as the most likely event. (The later in April that happens, the better it will be for the team, I think.) It'll be interesting to see how those AAA arms will be handled.

It may also come down to when Lorenzen and Gray come back. Right now, both are expected to be back mid-month. That pushes DeLeon (one option), Hoffman, and perhaps one of the aforementioned relief arms to the IL or off the team after only an appearance or two. I'd expect DeLeon to be moved to AAA to start, as he has the option. Who else goes when Lorenzen/ Gray return: Hoffman? He'd seem to be the fifth starter's fifth starter. Perez? If they like how everyone's going, he does have an option. Romano? He'd seem to be the last man on my personal totem.

Expect each bullpen arm to be put in situations early to gauge how they do. Expect some bumps.
    I think this is exactly right. The first month is going to be bumpy for a number of teams. If they can get Gray and Lorenzen back as soon as they estimate we may only see 2-4 starts from JDL and Hoffman.

The alternate site will have a couple of really interesting replacements, too. Vlad G and Hendrix are two guys who have the potential to provide late-inning work later in the season.

Bobby Nightengale
    @nightengalejr
    Max Schrock is running the bases in the #Reds workout, so that's at least a sign that his hamstring is feeling better. He missed the last six Cactus League games.

Joey Votto is running the bases as well with the team.

The Reds are beginning their last preseason workout at GABP
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-31-2021 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton95 View Post
    Jose De Leon is terrible.
    I wouldn’t be so sure of that.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

12. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-31-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I wouldn’t be so sure of that.
    My main worry is that he's 60. I remember when he came up with the Pirates in the early '80s.

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

14. Likes:

757690 (03-31-2021),BRM13 (03-31-2021),Kc61 (03-31-2021),Mitri (03-31-2021),Ron Madden (03-31-2021),UKFlounder (03-31-2021),WrongVerb (04-01-2021)

I didn't know where to post this so will put it here

Reds taxi squad for first road trip:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ctrent/st...76401155833860

16. Likes:

JaxRed (04-07-2021)

Turn Off Ads?