Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tea Leaves (tm) predict the opening day roster

Re: The Tea Leaves (tm) predict the opening day roster

Bullpen name I 'm not seeing in these lists so far - Josh Osich. I think he's got a shot with a good spring. Yesterday might be the start of that in ST game 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

2. Likes:

SirFelixCat (03-01-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

I'd be shocked if the Reds don't start the season with at least 2 players on the injury list, with one being a pitcher, making the numbers game a bit easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Strikes Out Looking View Post
    I'd be shocked if the Reds don't start the season with at least 2 players on the injury list, with one being a pitcher, making the numbers game a bit easier.
    Well we already have 2 pitchers on the 40 with TJ surgery, meaning they will be on the 60 Day DL list, freeing up two spots on the 40. But I assume you mean 2 others.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

---Rotation
    SP - Castillo, Luis
    SP - Gray, Sonny
    SP - Mahle, Tyler
    SP/RP - Miley, Wade
    SP/RP - Lorenzen, Michael

---Bullpen
    RP/SP - Sims, Lucas
    RP - Doolittle, Sean
    RP/SP - Garrett, Amir
    RP - Bedrosian, Cam*
    RP/SP - Ramirez, Noe
    RP/SP - Antone, Tejay
    RP/SP - De Leon, Jose
    RP/SP - Hoffman, Jeff

---Infield/Oufield
    C - Stephenson, Tyler
    1B - Votto, Joey
    2B/3B/1B - Moustakas, Mike
    SS/2B/3B - Holder, Kyle
    3B/SS/2B - Suarez, Eugenio
    LF/RF/CF - Winker, Jesse
    CF/3B/2B - Senzel, Nick
    RF/LF/3B - Castellanos, Nicholas

---Bench
    C - Barnhart, Tucker
    2B/SS/CF - Strange-Gordon, Dee*
    3B/2B/C - Farmer, Kyle
    CF/RF - Akiyama, Shogo
    RF - Aquino, Aristides

---Disabled List
    SP/RP - Bailey, Brandon

*Bedrosian and Strange-Gordon have their contracts purchased; Bailey goes to the 60-Day DL and Romano gets outrighted.

7. Likes:

REDREAD (03-02-2021)

In all likelihood at least 2, if not more of those guys get hurt in ST and actually start on the DL in four weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I assume union would have to sign off on this. I'd like to see them negotiate this into place and as a reward get an extra roster spot and/or the DH.
    Highly unlikely these guys pick up an option year. The fact that they dished out full service time last year, will negate it in the eyes of arbitrators.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post

Position Players
    1. 1b - Votto
    2. 2b - Moose
    3. 3b - Geno
    4. C - Barnhart
    5. LF - Winker
    6. CF - Senzel
    7. RF - Castellanos
    8. C - Stephenson
    9. OF - Shogo
    10. INF - Farmer

Those 10 are locks

11. OF - Aquino. (This is an options decision). He's out of options.
    12. INF - Holder (This is based on Rule 5. He's no better or worse than Blandino. But Blandino has options and Holder does not as Rule 5 guy.
    13. SS - Gordon. (I'm assuming they give starting gig to Gordon assuming Garcia doesn't grab the job in ST. It solves a lot of problems if Garcia grabs the job).
    We are about 25% of the way thru ST and Bell says in a few days he'll start limiting who gets looks at SS. So I thought I'd review this. I guess we are expecting an arbiter's decision on whether Aquino gets another option year. For the Reds sake I hope he gets one, because he is not hitting the ball with any authority now. I'll assume for now he does not get the extra option.

The key position is SS and so far Kyle Farmer has looked pretty good. And Jose Garcia is hitless. So it doesn't appear that he is going to grab the job. And Holder has walked a moderate amount but has not got a hit.

So the one change I would make to my roster is to offer Holder back to Yanks, and give the backup INF spot to Blandino who has looked good.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Have there been any Jeff Hoffman sightings yet? I'm thinking he's definitely not getting a roster spot.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Have there been any Jeff Hoffman sightings yet? I'm thinking he's definitely not getting a roster spot.
    He’s pitched once. 2IP 2H 2ER 1BB 0K
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

13. Likes:

M2 (03-08-2021),Ron Madden (03-08-2021)

C Perez may have swiftly and methodically stolen Hoffman's spot. I know there is chatter about him having closer's stuff, but Perez could be the long-relief lefty they need.

15. Likes:

M2 (03-08-2021),MoneyInTheBank (03-08-2021),Old school 1983 (03-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    C Perez may have swiftly and methodically stolen Hoffman's spot. I know there is chatter about him having closer's stuff, but Perez could be the long-relief lefty they need.
    I'm trying not to get too far over my skis on Perez, but he seems like he might be ideal in a long relief/replacement SP role. In a perfect world, all of Perez, Antone and De Leon prove to be legit, giving the Reds a deep pitching staff.

17. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-09-2021)

I'm trying not to get too far over my skis on Perez, but he seems like he might be ideal in a long relief/replacement SP role. In a perfect world, all of Perez, Antone and De Leon prove to be legit, giving the Reds a deep pitching staff.
    I guess the question for the experts is - do you let Cionel start in AAA or let him become a boss in the 'pen? Might be worth the investment to see what he can do every five days.

Just a couple thoughts.

I don't think the organization values Aquino in a particularly meaningful way. They'd surely take the option year and stash him in AAA, but I also don't think they'd hesitate to let him go (or trade him for a lottery ticket). Given how they'd used him since the HR barrage suggests they think the barrage was a mirage.

I do not like the idea of Jeff Hoffman being on the roster. He has a career (220 IP) 5.58 ERA and 1.62 WHIP. You can adjust for Coors all you want, but that stinks. He smells just like a guy they shine up, give an early season shot and unceremoniously release in May. Do away with all the earned runs, and just release him before Opening Day.

20. Likes:

mth123 (03-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    I guess the question for the experts is - do you let Cionel start in AAA or let him become a boss in the 'pen? Might be worth the investment to see what he can do every five days.
    I'm guessing if he's getting regular multi-inning work in the pen, then he's ready to be a short duration SP. Interchangeability is one of the upsides of that model. The Astros had Brad Peacock in that role in recent years. He mostly relieved for them, but he got 42 starts from 2016-19 (21 in their title season).

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    Just a couple thoughts.

I don't think the organization values Aquino in a particularly meaningful way. They'd surely take the option year and stash him in AAA, but I also don't think they'd hesitate to let him go (or trade him for a lottery ticket). Given how they'd used him since the HR barrage suggests they think the barrage was a mirage.

I do not like the idea of Jeff Hoffman being on the roster. He has a career (220 IP) 5.58 ERA and 1.62 WHIP. You can adjust for Coors all you want, but that stinks. He smells just like a guy they shine up, give an early season shot and unceremoniously release in May. Do away with all the earned runs, and just release him before Opening Day.
    You might be right on Aquino, and Heineman is making a bid for that roster slot.

Hoffman strikes me as a guy who'll pass through waivers and then they can work on him down in AAA.

Turn Off Ads?