Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tea Leaves (tm) predict the opening day roster

Re: The Tea Leaves (tm) predict the opening day roster

Votto’s been placed on the IL, likely with Covid. If that is the case, it’s doubtful he will be ready by opening day. How would that effect the roster?
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Votto’s been placed on the IL, likely with Covid. If that is the case, it’s doubtful he will be ready by opening day. How would that effect the roster?
    Play any of the other 1B the Reds have scattered around the field. Take your pick of Moustakus, Castellanos or Suarez. I'd love to give Winker a firstbaseman's mitt. Probably makes most sense to use Castellanos (or Winker), then let Shogo take the PA.

However, I'm sure they'll find the least optimal way to do this. Moose to 1B, Strange-Gordon as your everyday 2B.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I'd love to give Winker a firstbaseman's mitt.
    If you're giving them away, I'll take one!

I'm still assuming the league and players settle on having the DH in the NL before the end of this month. So, if Votto's out for a while, I'll guess Moustakas shifts to 1B and Dee S-G plays 2B. Though maybe it puts Steak on the menu.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by BillDoran View Post
    I'd love to give Winker a firstbaseman's mitt. Probably makes most sense to use Castellanos (or Winker), then let Shogo take the PA.
    That's what I'd do, for sure.

Puts the strongest team out there, assuming no DH.

It does perhaps open a spot for Holder or Strange-Gordon. I suspect, however, as seen in today's lineup, that Heineman might have a say in that plan.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    did they move opening day up? does he have to go to a nursing home? why wouldn't he be ready by the opener? 99% of people under 40 have mild symptoms and are back to normal in 10 days or less.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    did they move opening day up? does he have to go to a nursing home? why wouldn't he be ready by the opener? 99% of people under 40 have mild symptoms and are back to normal in 10 days or less.
    He has to be quarantined for 10 days. That would only give him around a week to get ready for opening day. Maybe he can get ready by then, but he likely would need more time to get his swing ready.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Plan A1 would be to move Moose to first and use Strange-Gordon, Blandino, or another infielder at second. Better defensive solution.

Plan A2 would be to move Cast to first base. Former IFer. Wink, Shogo, Senzel regular OF. Better offensive solution.

Bell’s style is to use his whole roster, he’ll probably do a little of each Plan until Votto returns.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-10-2021 at 03:01 PM.

So in a game thread a couple of days ago, I said that while backup 1b was not a big deal I wondered who was an option other than Cuthbert. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize to Joey for jinxing him.

https://www.redszone.com/forums/show...=1#post4213448

It makes more sense to me to have Senzel play 2B than Winker or Castellanos play 1B for the first time in their careers but ultimately if the IL stint is back-dated and he's only going to miss a few games it doesn't really matter what they do...

12. Likes:

BillDoran (03-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    It makes more sense to me to have Senzel play 2B than Winker or Castellanos play 1B for the first time in their careers but ultimately if the IL stint is back-dated and he's only going to miss a few games it doesn't really matter what they do...
    it doesn't make sense at all if the reds believe (and they do) that senzel is their "everyday" centerfielder (quotes because obviously shogo will get some starts there as well, but senzel will get most of them for sure as the reds have said). i seriously doubt they want to jerk him around and move him back to the infield after he's finally comfortable as a CF.

would be different if senzel was a utility player for the reds. but he's the starting centerfielder. and with five years remaining of team control, the reds want to see if they have their CF of the present and future in their former #2 overall pick. he will be far more valuable as a CF than a 2B (2Bs are a dime a dozen).

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm still assuming the league and players settle on having the DH in the NL before the end of this month. So, if Votto's out for a while, I'll guess Moustakas shifts to 1B and Dee S-G plays 2B. Though maybe it puts Steak on the menu.
    DH in the NL this year is dead.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    it doesn't make sense at all if the reds believe (and they do) that senzel is their "everyday" centerfielder (quotes because obviously shogo will get some starts there as well, but senzel will get most of them for sure as the reds have said). i seriously doubt they want to jerk him around and move him back to the infield after he's finally comfortable as a CF.

would be different if senzel was a utility player for the reds. but he's the starting centerfielder. and with five years remaining of team control, the reds want to see if they have their CF of the present and future in their former #2 overall pick. he will be far more valuable as a CF than a 2B (2Bs are a dime a dozen).
    In a game 7 of a World Series would you rather play:

CF Shogo
    2B Senzel
    1B Moustakas

or

CF Senzel
    2B Moustakas
    1B Winker or Castellanos for the first time in their careers?

That's all I was saying...

16. Likes:

JFLegal (03-10-2021),Revering4Blue (03-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    In a game 7 of a World Series would you rather play:

CF Shogo
    2B Senzel
    1B Moustakas

or

CF Senzel
    2B Moustakas
    1B Winker or Castellanos for the first time in their careers?

That's all I was saying...
    fair point for sure. i'm just saying i think there is no chance the reds jerk senzii around and have him play 2B again when he's just now getting very comfortable (his own words) as a CF. and because the reds have said themselves they believe he is their everyday CF. i actually think we agree and are talking about two different points, so cheers, and sorry for the misunderstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    DH in the NL this year is dead.
    uuuuggggggg. why in the world to the players not want this? it keeps more hitters in the league as they get older. now you've just cut that in half.

very stupid.

and yeah, i'm only mad because this hurts the reds. i'll admit it.

Turn Off Ads?