Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tejay Antone in the bullpen?

Tejay Antone in the bullpen?

Why is David Bell planning to use Tejay Antone in the bullpen?
    Charlie Goldsmith @CharlieG__
    I’ll show some of my work here and explain why David Bell says Tejay Antone would be more valuable in the bullpen than as a starting pitcher.

Take out his starts in 2020 and look at how he did in the bullpen or facing batters for the first time.
    Rookie of the Year Devin Williams was the only reliever more effective than Antone.

As a starter, Antone had a 3.86 ERA, and opposing hitters had a .789 OPS. As a reliever, Antone had a 1.89 ERA and opposing hitters had a .097 batting average and a .337 OPS.

In his first time through the order last season, Antone allowed 11 total hits and one home run while striking out 40 percent of opposing hitters in 85 at-bats.

In 36 at-bats where Antone had already faced an opposing hitter, Antone allowed nine hits and two home runs while striking out just 31 percent of opposing hitters.

Here’s the kicker: Antone had the second lowest opposing batting average in MLB as a relief pitcher and the second lowest opposing OPS among relief pitchers who threw 19 innings last season.

The only player who was more effective in those areas out of the bullpen was Devin Williams of the Milwaukee Brewers, who won NL Rookie of the Year and finished seventh in Cy Young Award voting.
    https://cincinnati.com/story/sports/...en/6844860002/

This might be SSS
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-01-2021 at 09:58 AM.

2. Likes:

CarolinaRedleg (03-04-2021),Kc61 (03-01-2021),Kingspoint (03-01-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tejay Antone in the bullpen?

Remember in game threads last year when some guy complained every time Antone came in?
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

5. Likes:

Chip R (03-02-2021),Griffey012 (03-01-2021),JayBruceFan (03-01-2021),Ron Madden (03-01-2021)

Is it just me, or is Charlie Goldsmith the total antithesis of Fay? I like it.

7. Likes:

BillDoran (03-01-2021),Bourgeois Zee (03-01-2021),Edd Roush (03-01-2021),Griffey012 (03-01-2021),HammerTime (03-01-2021),ochoa30 (03-01-2021),Ron Madden (03-01-2021),Roy Tucker (03-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunting Bad View Post
    Big fan of both Goldsmith and Nightengale Jr. thus far. They're hungry, and they know how to use social media.

For the record, Goldsmith is super young (and a Cincinnati native). Graduated from Seven Hills High School in 2017 (and Northwestern Medill in 2020).

9. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-01-2021)

Yeah at least he tries to do a little research, kinda unusual for Reds beat writers since John Erardi

Him and Bobby Nightengale have improved the Enquirer’ Reds coverage immensely.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

12. Likes:

BillDoran (03-01-2021),ochoa30 (03-01-2021),Ron Madden (03-01-2021)

Those are interesting splits on Antone.

I'm of the opinion that a lot of the middle-tier and below starters earn their way into the rotation. They learn the ropes in the bullpen, improve their stuff, then move onto being a starter. The sample sizes are pretty small thus far, but if he's a one-time through-the-order guy, there's a lot of value in that as well.

I'm not ready to assume that's his ceiling, but that's good internal scouting if you find that to be a limitation. Put players in positions to succeed.

14. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-01-2021)

Those bullpen numbers look great last year for Antone, but put me in the camp of thinking the Reds move guys there prematurely. I could see them needing eight starters this year and I still think Antone should be one of those eight.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

16. Likes:

BillDoran (03-01-2021),Ron Madden (03-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Those bullpen numbers look great last year for Antone, but put me in the camp of thinking the Reds move guys there prematurely. I could see them needing eight starters this year and I still think Antone should be one of those eight.
    Way to early to give up on Tejay as a starter. But that doesn't mean a move to the pen is necessarily giving up. Lots of guys do stints in the pen as they wait to see how others do and as protection for injuries.

Those splits are exactly why you have the kind of pitching coaches they have brought on. Derek and company should easily be able to help Tejay understand what is happening the second time through the order. And if not, maybe the outside analytics guys can. He has the stuff to start and is much more valuable there.

18. Likes:

757690 (03-01-2021),Mitri (03-01-2021),Ron Madden (03-01-2021)

I think they're giving the last SP spot to Lorenzen mostly based on tenure/seniority. Antone's upside is clearly higher, and if he learns how to harness his stuff over 5-6 innings the Reds will have 4 very good starters moving into 22 (not to mention Lodolo and Greene, eventually).

The pitching in 21 will sort itself out and the cream will rise to the top. Between Miley and Lorenzen you have to think there will be injuries or just plain poor performance, so Antone will get his chances eventually. And if not, he's very well suited as-is for the pen.

20. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-01-2021),Roy Tucker (03-01-2021)

I like him a lot so far.

22. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-01-2021)

Antone wasn’t great as a starter in AAA. I think he can get there, and I think he’ll get opportunities.

But right now, with a bullpen that lost two closers, Tejay can play a significant role as a set-up man.

It’s not a bad gig. Pitching high leverage innings in 1/3 of the Reds’ games is an important role. He certainly has a knack for it, he did very well last year in that spot.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-01-2021 at 04:25 PM.

24. Likes:

JFLegal (03-01-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Antone wasn’t great as a starter in AAA. I think he can get there, and I think he’ll get opportunities.

But right now, with a bullpen that lost two closers, Tejay can play a significant role as a set-up man.

It’s not a bad gig. Pitching high leverage innings in 1/3 of the Reds’ games is an important role. He certainly has a knack for it, he did very well last year in that spot.
    Didn't he make his big jump in velocity after AAA? If so, I don't think his success or lack of success before his skill set significantly improved is very relevant

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Why is David Bell planning to use Tejay Antone in the bullpen?
    https://cincinnati.com/story/sports/...en/6844860002/

This might be SSS
    SSSS...Super Small Sample Size

Never mind the fact that no pitcher can learn how to pitch the 2nd and 3rd times through an order until they actually get the experience of doing so. Stunt the growth of Antone. Is it any wonder why this organization is as bad as they get when it comes to developing pitchers?
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    SSSS...Super Small Sample Size

Never mind the fact that no pitcher can learn how to pitch the 2nd and 3rd times through an order until they actually get the experience of doing so. Stunt the growth of Antone. Is it any wonder why this organization is as bad as they get when it comes to developing pitchers?
    Is this a post from 2010?
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

28. Likes:

ochoa30 (03-01-2021)

Turn Off Ads?