Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tejay Antone in the bullpen?

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: Tejay Antone in the bullpen?

Tejay for the CYA.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Charlie Goldsmith @CharlieG__
    Reds pitcher Tejay Antone has been throwing to Tyler Stephenson for almost his entire pro career.

But the way Antone pitched last night –– the way he used his fastball to attack hitters, and the way his slider moved –– even surprised Stephenson.
    cincinnati.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    No human being can throw 2 innings two to three times a week.
    The "3" was sort of a joke, but he could pitch 2 innings twice a week for sure.

Doubt he'll match the 22.5 K/9, either.

5. Likes:

Kingspoint (03-04-2021)

I hope AntoneÂ’s unusual career arc doesnÂ’t constrain his perceived value and role. His stuff looks light years better than any of the hotshot prospects weÂ’ve handed starting jobs to in the past decade.

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (03-04-2021),RedTeamGo! (03-04-2021)

He even caught the attention of the Dodger announcers. If
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Let’s put it this way: the smart teams in baseball would not even be considering this. They would be preparing Antone to start. They would see it as a cheap and effective opportunity to improve in the rotation. If Antone doesn’t enter the season in the rotation it’s going to be madness.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Let’s put it this way: the smart teams in baseball would not even be considering this. They would be preparing Antone to start. They would see it as a cheap and effective opportunity to improve in the rotation. If Antone doesn’t enter the season in the rotation it’s going to be madness.
    Eh, I am kinda torn on that one. On one hand, he looks great and started his MLB career out in spectacular fashion.

On the other hand, he is a guy with a mixed history and 4 career starts. I wouldn't overstate his potential.

If he is #6 or 7 on the SP, he's still going to see a lot of starts. These things work themselves out, and usually quickly. I don't see a problem with that.

11. Likes:

REDREAD (03-05-2021)

Generally - not just directed at Antone - it’s best not to form conclusions based on early ST performances. That’s true for the hot players and the cold players.

Last year some got wildly enthused about Garcia’s bat based on ST hitting.

It’s best just to sit back and absorb the performances at this point. Great for fans to be enthusiastic, and to applaud good outings, but it’s just early in ST. The puzzle pieces will fall into place as things move along.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-04-2021 at 01:10 PM.

13. Likes:

BoxingRed (03-07-2021),REDREAD (03-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Generally - not just directed at Antone - it’s best not to form conclusions based on early ST performances. That’s true for the hot players and the cold players.

Last year some got wildly enthused about Garcia’s bat based on ST hitting.

It’s best just to sit back and absorb the performances at this point. Great for fans to be enthusiastic, and to applaud good outings, but it’s just early in ST. The puzzle pieces will fall into place as things move along.
    It’s not just ST. Antone looked great last year in regular season games. Also, he’s throwing 98 mph with a nasty curve.

15. Likes:

BillDoran (03-04-2021),Roy Tucker (03-04-2021)

It’s not just ST. Antone looked great last year in regular season games. Also, he’s throwing 98 mph with a nasty curve.
    Antone’s MLB success has primarily been as a reliever. Last night was two innings. I get the enthusiasm but it’s simply premature to conclude he necessarily should be on track to start this year.

He’ll get his chances this spring, including longer outings. And we’ll see the others pitchers, the status of the rotation, the status of the bullpen. Then Bell will make a decision.

Patience is in order, it’s the first week of ST games, glad Antone and some others look good.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-04-2021 at 05:02 PM.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

When’s the last time a guy came out of nowhere to become a great starting pitcher at the age of 28? That’s what gives me pause on Antone. I’m sure it happens, but I can’t think of the last guy to fit that mold. It’s not like he has the pedigree of being a top prospect who just didn’t figure it out yet, he was a nobody until Driveline came into the picture.

18. Likes:

REDREAD (03-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    When’s the last time a guy came out of nowhere to become a great starting pitcher at the age of 28? That’s what gives me pause on Antone. I’m sure it happens, but I can’t think of the last guy to fit that mold. It’s not like he has the pedigree of being a top prospect who just didn’t figure it out yet, he was a nobody until Driveline came into the picture.
    Shane Bieber is younger but came out of absolute nowhere and is now the best pitcher on the planet.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Shane Bieber is younger but came out of absolute nowhere and is now the best pitcher on the planet.
    Honestly I thought Bieber was one of Cleveland’s top prospects, but Bref shows me he was never ranked which is surprising to me, especially since I remember him coming up in trade talks here as a minor leaguer. He still is young enough though that I would expect someone in his range to maybe have some untapped potential compared to Antone who is almost 30.

I do think he should be ahead of the pack in terms of getting a shot in the rotation though, I would definitely prefer to have him starting over Lorenzen and Miley. I just don’t expect him to be much more than number 4ish starter though. I hope this is a case of Bell just kinda talking out of his ass.

Quote Originally Posted by CaiGuy View Post
    On the other hand, he is a guy with a mixed history and 4 career starts. I wouldn't overstate his potential.
    This is exactly the line of thinking I hope the Reds are avoiding. Antone is what he is at this point. The fact that he took a strange and winding path to get there doesn’t make his mid-high 90s fastball and elite breaking stuff any easier to hit.

My first instinct was also Cleveland but Corey Kluber, who I also don't think was ever considered a top prospect. Antone really isn't that much older than Kluber was when he broke in when you consider Antone had TJS...

23. Likes:

RedTeamGo! (03-04-2021)

Turn Off Ads?