Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Tejay Antone in the bullpen?

Re: Tejay Antone in the bullpen?

As I’ve said, I could go either way on Antone. Whatever the Reds think is best.

But one would think at this moment - with such a compelling bullpen need - Reds fans would see the wisdom of some excellent arms in the pen. Not the top, top prospects like Hunter Greene, but some of Reds’ better arms.

If the notion is every higher level arm must be a starter, then Reds are doomed until the game reverts to a model from years ago.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-24-2021 at 11:45 AM.

2. Likes:

M2 (06-24-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    We should trade one of our extra outfielder's for a BP arm
    I wonder what they could get for Alejo Lopez. He has no place to play on Cincy and is emerging in the minors this year. A team like Detroit or Baltimore could really use a cheap option like him for 2B and he'd probably start immediately in either place (the Orioles are starting Pat Valaika). If they could get Fulmer or Fry for him, a lower level prospect and a lotto ticket arm like De Leon or C. Perez, it would solve a lot of problems without subtracting from the big league roster. Those are the kind of deals they should be after right now.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I wonder what they could get for Alejo Lopez. He has no place to play on Cincy and is emerging in the minors this year. A team like Detroit or Baltimore could really use a cheap option like him for 2B and he'd probably start immediately in either place (the Orioles are starting Pat Valaika). If they could get Fulmer or Fry for him, a lower level prospect and a lotto ticket arm like De Leon or C. Perez, it would solve a lot of problems without subtracting from the big league roster. Those are the kind of deals they should be after right now.
    Lopez isn’t a highly touted prospect. Most MLB teams don’t go overboard based on one very good offensive MILB season. Minors is minors. And Cionel/DeLeon are for waiver pickups, not trades.

I could see Lopez as an interesting number two guy in a deal for value.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Lopez isn’t a highly touted prospect. Most MLB teams don’t go overboard based on one very good offensive MILB season. Minors is minors. And Cionel/DeLeon are for waiver pickups, not trades.

I could see Lopez as an interesting number two guy in a deal for value.
    Yeah. I'm thinking something like Lopez, Rece Hinds or Mike Siani, and Deleon or Perez. A top 10 in the system, Lopez could be an immediate starter and the pitcher is a lotto ticket with upside to fill the opening created. If I was Detroit or Baltimore, I'd consider that. It depends whether they get better offers and they probably would. .
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I'd like the Reds to go just the other way. A switch hitting leadoff hitter who gets on base is very valuable. Lopez has always had good bat to ball skills, more walks than K's.
    Lopez at 2B; Barrero at SS; India back to 3B is the way they should go. Jettison Suarez and Moose even if you have to throw in cash. With few exceptions, relief pitchers have a short shelf life. Trading a potential leadoff hitter for one is the wrong way to go.

8. Likes:

Ron Madden (06-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I'd like the Reds to go just the other way. A switch hitting leadoff hitter who gets on base is very valuable. Lopez has always had good bat to ball skills, more walks than K's.
    Lopez at 2B; Barrero at SS; India back to 3B is the way they should go. Jettison Suarez and Moose even if you have to throw in cash. With few exceptions, relief pitchers have a short shelf life. Trading a potential leadoff hitter for one is the wrong way to go.
    I don't know. Power challenged and all on his hit tool. Sounds like Jose Peraza. One thing in favor of your view is that the DH is coming. Only one of Moose or Suarez would need to be moved. I have a hard time believing they'll find a taker for either. I wouldn't move India off of 2B though. He looks like he should stay there for 10 years. Lopez can play 3B.

Still. if they want to contend, they aren't getting help for nothing. The guys I named would be under control for 2022 in Fry's case 2023 and 2024 as well.

10. Likes:

Griffey012 (06-25-2021)

I don't know. Power challenged and all on his hit tool. Sounds like Jose Peraza. One thing in favor of your view is that the DH is coming. Only one of Moose or Suarez would need to be moved. I have a hard time believing they'll find a taker for either. I wouldn't move India off of 2B though. He looks like he should stay there for 10 years. Lopez can play 3B.

Still. if they want to contend, they aren't getting help for nothing. The guys I named would be under control for 2022 in Fry's case 2023 and 2024 as well.
    I agree that India looks like a plus defender at 2B. Leave the move to third to the coaches to determine the best fit. I think the Reds should look at Dauri Moreta in the pen. IIRC, they have been high on him this year. Reds shouldn't limit replacements to AAA.

if (big IF) this rotation can stay healthy, i really like it. in whatever order you prefer, mahle, miley, gray, castillo is an excellent top-4. then vlad for the #5 spot is very solid.

for that reason, i would keep tejay in the pen for sure for three primary reasons: 1. we already know he flourishes in that role. 2. the rotation is very good even without him. 3. the bullpen is a complete disaster without him (ok, and with him too, but less so with him there).

13. Likes:

Griffey012 (06-25-2021),M2 (06-24-2021),mth123 (06-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If Reds find themselves inclined to do some selling this deadline - if - then Gray must be a consideration. Presumably this would only happen if Reds fell further back in pennant race.

Other teams may have a more immediate time horizon. If Gray is healthy for the 2021 stretch drive, that has value. A trade is sometimes made because of teams’ different priorities.

Castillo is different since he’s “sell low” now given a poor 2021 record. Maybe less immediate trade value for a contender, but arguably more long-term value as keeper for Reds. Younger, healthy, cheaper, different calculation.
    Anxious teams do strange thinks at the deadline. Especially when it comes to the need for arms. Here's my thing, this year, in consideration to the SELL thinking....

An organization sells when one falls out of contention or management (at that time) sees the writing on the wall as far as the current season goes. Or your team is located in Cincinnati. While anything is possible, looking at this division, I don't see that happening to the Reds, them being in that position this season, in a division that looks so winnable, that no one is going to run away with. JMO. And that may put this ownership in a "perplexing" situation if they have a desire to sell FURTHER at the deadline, yet your team is very well still in it, and you should be a buyer considering the situation, the goal is achieveable, in reach.

If Gray stays healthy, performs well over the next month till the deadline, then that is something this team direly needs in the second half, down the stretch. IMO, he should be seen as an asset in the sense he is contributing, a vital part needed for that second half push for a post-season spot. Not an asset to always be sold off once it gains value because there's always something better on the horizon, or they're worried he may break down again at some point in the future. IMO, one can say that about any big league arm. At any time.

This season, the Reds have played 73 games, 31 vs division opponents, where they are 19-12 (.631). We do not have a losing record vs any of them..... vs Cubs (3-3), vs Brewers (5-4), vs Cards 6-4), vs Pirates (5-1). We have 42 games remaining vs those division opponents. All I'm gonna say is fasten your seatbelts and enjoy.

The only ones that could muck this up would be Red's ownership.
    Last edited by GAC; 06-25-2021 at 07:09 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

All I know is we almost own this division when it comes to head-to-head...... vs Cubs (5-3), vs Brewers (5-4), vs Cards 6-4), vs Pirates (5-1), 21-12 vs the division with 40 games remaining within the division.

I don't know how anyone can't be excited at this stage, and watching this team play, going into the second half. Watching Suarez reach out there and poke one into the OF for the go-ahead run, and in the post-game say he's just trying to put the ball in play. Good sign IMO. .... Votto's game saving dbl-play ... a bullpen, in the last nine games, that has a 1.26 ERA and without their best relievers (Antone and Sims).

Yeah I'm impressed. But this ownership can't see those positive signs that they can sit on their hands. That's pretty much what this entire division did in the off-season. If they see a move that would greatly increase our chances, they can't sit on their hands. They need to be looking to ADD and further improve weaknesses in pitching on this team. Take a shot owners!! Because these guys are playing their hearts out IMO.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-04-2021 at 05:49 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

16. Likes:

757690 (07-04-2021),Assembly Hall (07-04-2021),Red Raindog (07-04-2021),Ron Madden (07-04-2021),UPRedsFan (07-04-2021)

Joel Luckhaupt of the Pawnee Lerpiss family
    @jluckhaupt

Reds bullpen ERA since Sims and Antone went on the DL is 1.26 in 28.2 IP.

If they can just keep holding the fort until the all star break, things could be good.

I got 4 tix (section 128) for Saturday, July 17th, vs the Brewers ... and I'm scouting for 2-3 more times for tickets this summer. If this team was a hopeless case, out of it by the AS break, I wouldn't be doing that. Winning, being in the hunt, makes one want to go to ballgames MORE.
    Last edited by GAC; 07-05-2021 at 05:05 AM.

19. Likes:

goreds2 (07-05-2021),M2 (07-04-2021),RiverRat13 (07-05-2021),Ron Madden (07-04-2021),Roy Tucker (07-04-2021)

I just turned 65, and don't have any type of heart condition. But I will having to watch nail-biter series like the Chicago one. Geez! Good all-around team effort IMO. Lots of different people contributing at key times.

21. Likes:

goreds2 (07-05-2021),Ron Madden (07-05-2021)

Turn Off Ads?