Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Hunter Greene

It was good to see him start vs the Angels after the long road back from TJ surgery. It's been two years. I'm sure he was very excited. And everyone was talking about how he was hitting 100+, his velocity looked good. I'll just say it a good first sign. positive step, and leave it there. He also gave up 3 Hrs. But again, don't make much out of anything at this stage.

I don't see him as part of the plan in '21... hasn't pitched in two years, and no higher then A-Ball. He's still very much the future. But when he does arrive - where in this rotation? I'm taking into consideration how pitching has evolved, pitchers are handled, through the lenses of analytics. The talent he possesses in that arm could make him a "hammer" IMO. Where then do you place that hammer? Is Hunter best suited for that front of the rotation that gets you thru the 5th inning? .... a middle innings arm that basically shuts you down, throws everything at you for a couple innings, to then hand it over to the Closer? .... or do some see him in that Closer role?

I see him more as a front of the rotation arm, but a role he may have to work himself into at this stage. I think right now he has to get the innings in, develop his pitches, and show consistency at the upper farm level, before anything else.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hunter Greene

He gave up 1 homer.

He should be a starter. Period.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

4. Likes:

Chip R (03-03-2021),dfs (03-03-2021),goreds2 (03-03-2021),HammerTime (03-03-2021),ochoa30 (03-03-2021),Old school 1983 (03-03-2021),RedTeamGo! (03-03-2021),Ron Madden (03-03-2021),Wonderful Monds (03-03-2021)

Rotation if possible. Get as many innings as you can out of your best pitchers.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

6. Likes:

Chip R (03-03-2021),Edd Roush (03-03-2021),Griffey012 (03-03-2021),Ron Madden (03-03-2021),Roy Tucker (03-03-2021)

Start Greene every 5 days from this day forward.

I think his post-game interview was even more impressive. Composed, unimpressed with his velocity. Definitely doesn't carry himself like a 21 year old.

https://www.mlb.com/reds/news/hunter...n-spring-debut

9. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-03-2021)

i have a feeling reds fans will be debating "starter or closer?" for hunter greene over the next couple of years. didn't basically the same thing happen with chapman, until everyone finally gave up and realized he was just going to be a closer? i think we're headed down that road again.

the difference might be that greene wants to be a starter (at least i think he does) while chapman seemed more than content with being a closer.

obviously, imo, the plan should be to use him as a starter until it's proven that's not a good role for him. closer should be the backup plan, not plan A.

for this year, send him to dayton at high-A and if he does well after a couple months, promote him to AA chattanooga. then see where he's at at the end of 2021. he could be a factor in the reds' plans by 2022, imo.

Start him until he shows he can't do it.
    Go Gators!

12. Likes:

Banshee (03-04-2021),BillDoran (03-03-2021),cumberlandreds (03-03-2021),Old school 1983 (03-03-2021),Ron Madden (03-03-2021)

He needs to start all of this season and even next season before I'd consider making him a reliever. I don't want another top prospect pushed into that role unless it's 2022 and he's still struggling to make it five innings.

14. Likes:

M2 (03-03-2021)

I’m confident Reds will want Greene to start. This year is really just about getting him pitching in competition again. I’m sure they will be cautious about his innings, maybe some 2-3 innings starts initially, and build him up. Not sure what his overall innings limit would be, but probably not very high.

A decent goal for him in the bigs might be later in the 2022 season, but he’s still young, won’t turn 22 until August. It’ll be good to follow him in games this year, but probably wise to stay patient.
    Last edited by Kc61; 03-03-2021 at 08:21 AM.

16. Likes:

JFLegal (03-03-2021)

I'm just tickled that he showed that monster velocity from pre-Tommy John. He threw a few decent breaking balls as well.

I was hoping to see a better change up and improved control, but those will come along later in Spring Training for some.

Not ideal for his confidence (or prospect hype), but a 2021 debut with some positives, at any rate.

Greene is the type of prospect who'll look better than his numbers will show. (Aroldis Chapman's minor league numbers, for example, show little semblance to the dominant pitcher he became with the parent club.) Like Chapman, I suspect, he'll put up pedestrian numbers until he won't-- he'll suddenly "get it" and dominate. (We saw a bit of that before he first injured his arm in 2018.)

I'm fine with Greene in AA or AAA, but AA is as low as I'd stash him. Below AA, he can just air it out, throw the ball as he did in high school, never learn anything, and still get by. Hitters that have moved on to AA have begun to put together complete ABs. Let him face that from this point forward to see how he does. It's not like his stuff is lacking.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 03-03-2021 at 08:31 AM.

18. Likes:

Old school 1983 (03-03-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Seemed fine to me. Stuff was there, even if the command was a bit behind that. I suspect he'll be at AAA by the end of the year.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

20. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-03-2021)

Holy over-reaction.

He's a starter. He will be a starter. It was nice to see him actually take the mound after all this time. He looked great.
    Last edited by membengal; 03-03-2021 at 09:51 AM.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

22. Likes:

BoxingRed (03-03-2021),Griffey012 (03-03-2021),RiverRat13 (03-03-2021),Ron Madden (03-03-2021)

Starting shortstop

24. Likes:

Shoeless Jeff (03-03-2021)

I'm guessing he'll have an innings limit this year. I could see him starting in the minors for say 85 to 90% of those innings and coming up at the end of the year in the big league pen as a psuedo acquisition for the race to the finish and next year doing the same with the limit set higher. Hopefully the reds will contend to make that worthwhile.

2023, he opens in the Reds rotation (barring injury or completely making no progress).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Why waste a 100 mile per hour fastball in the minors? He needs to be in Cincinnati opening day or bring him up when the Reds get that extra year service time.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?