Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Re: Hunter Greene

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Why waste a 100 mile per hour fastball in the minors? He needs to be in Cincinnati opening day or bring him up when the Reds get that extra year service time.
    Big league hitters can hit a 100 MPH fastball. He needs time in the minors to hone his craft, increase his command. He hasn't pitched in competition in 2 years, and hasn't pitched above A ball. Give him time to develop.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

2. Likes:

757690 (03-03-2021),Edd Roush (03-03-2021),GAC (03-04-2021),Griffey012 (03-03-2021),loudangry (03-03-2021),M2 (03-03-2021),mth123 (03-03-2021),Old school 1983 (03-03-2021),RedsBaron (03-03-2021),Revering4Blue (03-03-2021),Roy Tucker (03-04-2021),Tuff Nut (03-04-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    Why waste a 100 mile per hour fastball in the minors? He needs to be in Cincinnati opening day or bring him up when the Reds get that extra year service time.
    So the logic here is any pitcher who has a 100 mph fastball should get a do-not-pass-go ticket to the big leagues?

That’s what I’m reading.

Like I said in the game thread, let him start until he proves he can't.
    I think he can.

6. Likes:

CySeymour (03-03-2021)

I was happy to see Greene too, but he looked miles away from being MLB-ready, starter or closer. I mean... they called the inning, he only went 2/3rds.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'm guessing he'll have an innings limit this year. I could see him starting in the minors for say 85 to 90% of those innings and coming up at the end of the year in the big league pen as a psuedo acquisition for the race to the finish and next year doing the same with the limit set higher. Hopefully the reds will contend to make that worthwhile.
    This is the key and a great point.

IF Greene's on a strict innings limit, I could see him as a difference-making bullpen arm late in the season.

This depends, of course, on the location of his pitches and on at least one off-speed pitch developing enough to keep major league hitters honest.

Reds FB posted that it had been 950 days between Hunter Greene's last minor league appearance and his start last night.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Charlie Goldsmith
    @CharlieG__
    David Bell: “No matter what the result was, it was going to be a good experience for Hunter Greene.”

“He’ll learn from it. Not the worst thing in the world the results aren’t how he wanted it to go.”

2019 6th-round pick graham ashcraft throws 100mph. should he be with the reds too? lol.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Holy over-reaction.
    As this is a baseball site shouldn't the above say "Holy over-reaction Bartman"
    Last edited by klw; 03-03-2021 at 02:13 PM.

13. Likes:

membengal (03-03-2021)

I thought Lodolo looked pretty good

Charlie Goldsmith @CharlieG__

My lasting takeaway from Hunter Greene’s game last night won’t even be the way Greene threw on the mound.
    It’ll be the way he impressed David Bell and Tucker Barnhart. Those two have seen a lot of baseball, and Greene was a unique player to them.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    So the logic here is any pitcher who has a 100 mph fastball should get a do-not-pass-go ticket to the big leagues?

That’s what I’m reading.
    Maybe 20-25 years ago if they showed any semblance of control. Now....it’s common out of the pen. Yet another reason to keep him starting. As a starter, that’s special

17. Likes:

Chip R (03-03-2021),marcshoe (03-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    i have a feeling reds fans will be debating "starter or closer?" for hunter greene over the next couple of years. didn't basically the same thing happen with chapman, until everyone finally gave up and realized he was just going to be a closer?
    Ryan Madson says hi.

Chapman was going to be a starter. The reds paid a free agent closer to replace Cordero and the new guy came up lame. They had a contending team with a surplus of starting pitching and no closer and Chapman's role changed. It was a need based decision.

Turning Hunter Greene into a closer for this team would be a really, really, really stupid thing to do. So, I pretty much expect that's exactly what this franchise will do.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

19. Likes:

JFLegal (03-03-2021),Revering4Blue (03-03-2021)

Greene's start clearly wasn't what we hoped for. But it was his first start against real competition in about 2 1/2 years; he was throwing easy gas and he didn't get hurt (as far as we know.) I know fans shouldn't freak out by his outing which is to be expected but the Reds bear some blame for fans freaking out too. They started him against a major league lineup on a game in prime time that was nationally televised. How did they think fans would react if he did poorly? Maybe they should have started him in a B game out of the spotlight. Or maybe they should have started him against fellow minor leaguers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Greene's start clearly wasn't what we hoped for. But it was his first start against real competition in about 2 1/2 years; he was throwing easy gas and he didn't get hurt (as far as we know.) I know fans shouldn't freak out by his outing which is to be expected but the Reds bear some blame for fans freaking out too. They started him against a major league lineup on a game in prime time that was nationally televised. How did they think fans would react if he did poorly? Maybe they should have started him in a B game out of the spotlight. Or maybe they should have started him against fellow minor leaguers.
    I hope, and I am pretty sure, the Reds care 0% about what fans think when it comes to how to best develop Hunter Greene. Fans are going to be fans and overreact the other way if he struck out the side in the first inning last night or dominated some B game.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

22. Likes:

HammerTime (03-03-2021),PuffyPig (03-04-2021),Ron Madden (03-03-2021)

Turn Off Ads?