Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hunter Greene

Re: Hunter Greene

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    I hope, and I am pretty sure, the Reds care 0% about what fans think when it comes to how to best develop Hunter Greene. Fans are going to be fans and overreact the other way if he struck out the side in the first inning last night or dominated some B game.
    the reds obviously care what fans think or they wouldn't have done the "publicity stunt" of having greene start the game and promoting the heck out of it. now, i was a fan of the publicity stunt, but it was a publicity stunt. "hey, we have our top-2 pitching prospects going on national TV tonight!" worked for me. i was hooked.

all of that might not be the same as what you're talking about since you said care about how best to develop hunter greene. i agree with that. but it's clear the reds care what the fans think. they were trying to show off their two hotshot pitchng prospects. one looks almost ready (lodolo) one looks like he needs at least a full year of seasoning in the minors (greene).

2. Likes:

Chip R (03-05-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JFLegal View Post
    the reds obviously care what fans think or they wouldn't have done the "publicity stunt" of having greene start the game and promoting the heck out of it. now, i was a fan of the publicity stunt, but it was a publicity stunt. "hey, we have our top-2 pitching prospects going on national TV tonight!" worked for me. i was hooked.

all of that might not be the same as what you're talking about since you said care about how best to develop hunter greene. i agree with that. but it's clear the reds care what the fans think. they were trying to show off their two hotshot pitchng prospects. one looks almost ready (lodolo) one looks like he needs at least a full year of seasoning in the minors (greene).
    So you think the Reds coaches chose to start Greene and follow them with Lodolo because it was going to be on TV? Or do you think the Reds PR team was supposed to do their jobs and promote whatever game storyline was offered to them?

I have to believe an early spring game being televised did not play a role in who pitched.

5. Likes:

Ron Madden (03-03-2021)

I assume it was more 'Greene's a starter'. Let him start and go thru the routine he'll always go thru. Hasn't pitched in a couple years, so let him do what he's used to.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

7. Likes:

Griffey012 (03-03-2021)

I think it was a case of giving the kids a cup of coffee, a taste of facing major league hitters. Later in the spring, there will be less innings available to guys who aren’t in the mix to make the team. We might see both pitchers once more before they are sent out.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

9. Likes:

Griffey012 (03-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Big league hitters can hit a 100 MPH fastball. He needs time in the minors to hone his craft, increase his command. He hasn't pitched in competition in 2 years, and hasn't pitched above A ball. Give him time to develop.
    Exactly. And he's only 21. If he's going to be an ace in the majors, it won't be until something like 2025. Yesterday was like a coming attractions reel. He throws wicked hard. Now he's got to learn his craft and develop stamina.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

GAC (03-04-2021)

I am keeping in mind that he is just 21 and coming off TJ but I wasn't impressed. He certainly throws hard but there is a lot more to pitching than just that. I don't see him on the team until 2023. It will all depend upon his ability to learn to pitch rather than throw.

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    I am keeping in mind that he is just 21 and coming off TJ but I wasn't impressed. He certainly throws hard but there is a lot more to pitching than just that. I don't see him on the team until 2023. It will all depend upon his ability to learn to pitch rather than throw.
    What part wasn’t impressive for a 21 year old who hasn’t thrown in a game since he was 18, maybe 19?
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

14. Likes:

Mitri (03-03-2021),MoneyInTheBank (03-04-2021),ochoa30 (03-03-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    As this is a baseball site shouldn't the above say "Holy over-reaction Bartman"
    I'm still trying to figure out why it's an over-reaction to ask fan opinion on a young arm coming back from TJ surgery, two years removed, and what they feel his role within the rotation may be? This is an discussion forum (lol).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

He’s thrown one inning.
    Well, that's what those words mean. He was here. If they don't keep him, he will have been lost/subtracted. I headed out the door today with two shoes on my feet. If I don't return with them, I have lost them. If I do return with them, I haven't added them. ---M2

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    He’s thrown one inning.
    To be fully accurate, it was 2/3 of an inning. 100% correct it was only a peek at the kid. Didn't tell us anything we didn't already know. He throws hard and he's got work to do. If people want to see him this season, they'll probably need to go to Dayton.

18. Likes:

Chip R (03-05-2021),RedTeamGo! (03-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    If people want to see him this season, they'll probably need to go to Dayton.
    I'll take that bet.

I suspect he's got a ticket on the Chattanooga choo-choo.

20. Likes:

MoneyInTheBank (03-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'll take that bet.

I suspect he's got a ticket on the Chattanooga choo-choo.
    Maybe, might depend on when each circuit starts playing. Yet I suspect they'll want to give Dayton some star power as it jumps up a level. Nothing wrong with letting him find a groove in A+ and then promoting him.

22. Likes:

GAC (03-05-2021)

Dayton and Daytona are going to be crowded. I think AA also.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    What part wasn’t impressive for a 21 year old who hasn’t thrown in a game since he was 18, maybe 19?
    if you qualify my comment based upon that then analyzing him at thos point is useless. He no doubt can thrill the radar gun but i haven't seen anything else. He didnt finish the inning and was wild. If he had to get the third out its hard telling how many runs he would have given up. There are thousands of pitchers that can go two thirds and give up 3.

Quote Originally Posted by TNRED View Post
    if you qualify my comment based upon that then analyzing him at thos point is useless. He no doubt can thrill the radar gun but i haven't seen anything else. He didnt finish the inning and was wild. If he had to get the third out its hard telling how many runs he would have given up. There are thousands of pitchers that can go two thirds and give up 3.
    Luis Castillo's first start last spring:

2/3 IP, 3 ER, 3 H, 2 BB, 1 K

Hunter Greene's first game action in 950 days:

2/3 IP, 3 ER, 3 H, 1 BB, 1 HBP, 1 K

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/rangers-...ox,game=604347

Even Nick Lodolo, polished college pitcher, gave up 10 hits and 7 earned runs in 2 1/3 innings last spring.

At the end of the day, Greene was throwing an effortless 100+, and his off-speed showed good movement, which was a big area of concern with him before his injury. His control/command was lacking, which isn't terribly surprising given the layoff.
    Last edited by Griffey012; 03-04-2021 at 02:48 PM.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

26. Likes:

savafan (03-05-2021)

Turn Off Ads?