Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLS is ready to begin

Re: 2021 MLS is ready to begin

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Hell is Real!
    This is as fake and manufactured as the MLB StL - KC attempted rivalry. Leave it alone. They are 100 miles apart.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    This is as fake and manufactured as the MLB StL - KC attempted rivalry. Leave it alone. They are 100 miles apart.
    So a Derby match-up between 2 Ohio teams that started when FC Cincinnati was still in the USL and the teams met in the US Open Cup, given its name by the teams' supporters groups based on a billboard on I71 halfway between Columbus and Cincinnati is fake and manufactured by MLS? Whatever, dude.

I've been a fan of MLS for a long time and there certainly are some MLS-manufactured rivalries (Columbus-Toronto Trillium Cup anyone?), I think Columbus-FC Cincinnati is more organic a rivalry than other so-called MLS rivalries. Now at this point it may be more of a sibling rivalry rather than a blood feed, but it's a rivalry just the same.

FC Cincinnati supporters were pretty salty after FC Cincinnati squandered a 2-0 lead against a 10 man Columbus squad missing a substantial number of starters due to Gold Cup and injuries.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    So a Derby match-up between 2 Ohio teams that started when FC Cincinnati was still in the USL and the teams met in the US Open Cup, given its name by the teams' supporters groups based on a billboard on I71 halfway between Columbus and Cincinnati is fake and manufactured by MLS? Whatever, dude.

I've been a fan of MLS for a long time and there certainly are some MLS-manufactured rivalries (Columbus-Toronto Trillium Cup anyone?), I think Columbus-FC Cincinnati is more organic a rivalry than other so-called MLS rivalries. Now at this point it may be more of a sibling rivalry rather than a blood feed, but it's a rivalry just the same.

FC Cincinnati supporters were pretty salty after FC Cincinnati squandered a 2-0 lead against a 10 man Columbus squad missing a substantial number of starters due to Gold Cup and injuries.
    Not a derby with that kind of distance. Also not a rivalry when one team spends for more money than the other. FCC and Columbus whatever (didn’t you rebrand to Real Columbus or something) have totally different payrolls. Arsenal and Tottenham are a rivalry, Charton Athletic or Crystal Palace (old historic London clubs) can never be rivals with either giant because of payroll.
    I’ve been to “hellish” derbys in Buenos Aires and Rome. Real violence was going on. It is nothing to be proud of. It was merely a fact of life. What you are talking about is something totally different and the fact that you have to message it means it is not that real.
    Last edited by Betterread; 07-10-2021 at 12:25 AM.

You don't have to be from the same city to have a fierce rivalry. El Clasico (Madrid-Barcelona), the North West Derby (ManU-Liverpool), the Derby d'Italia (Juventus-Inter), Der Klassiker (Bayern-Dortmund), Le Classique (PSG-Marseille) and O Classico (Benfica-Porto) don't involve clubs from the same city. I get that it's not the same as when you bump shoulders with fans of the other team all year long, but it seems like fans in Ohio have really embraced Columbus vs. Cincinnati. No reason to look down on it.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Not a derby with that kind of distance. Also not a rivalry when one team spends for more money than the other. FCC and Columbus whatever (didn’t you rebrand to Real Columbus or something) have totally different payrolls. Arsenal and Tottenham are a rivalry, Charton Athletic or Crystal Palace (old historic London clubs) can never be rivals with either giant because of payroll.
    I’ve been to “hellish” derbys in Buenos Aires and Rome. Real violence was going on. It is nothing to be proud of. It was merely a fact of life. What you are talking about is something totally different and the fact that you have to message it means it is not that real.
    Well, I'd say that you seem to be operating under some misconceptions. There are plenty of rivalries that exist beyond divisions in England and elsewhere because of promotion and relegation, and derbies aren't always restricted to a local community. For example, I know for a fact that, just to point out one of the clubs you've mentioned, Crystal Palace, a London team, has a rather long-standing rivalry with Brighton and Hove Albion, which is at least 40-50 miles away in Sussex, on the south coast of England. The English media even call it the "A23 Derby." I know this because my mother-in-law is from England and we have family friends on both sides of that rivalry. I actually had an opportunity to visit the Amex when Brighton was still in the Championship. I myself lived in Austria for a bit and I can tell you that FC Red Bull Salzburg (formerly Austria Salzburg) enjoyed its most heated rivalries with Austria Wien and Rapid (both teams in Vienna), which are almost 200 miles apart, yet fans would routinely take the train between the cities for matches between the teams. As M2 has pointed out, many of the biggest rivalries in various countries involve teams not all that close to each other. I'm a Crew supporter and I've made it down to Columbus to 3 games so far. I live 137 miles from Lower.com Field, home of the Crew. Lower.com Field is 107 miles from TQL stadium. So distance is a relative concept.

As far as spending goes, FC Cincinnati and the Columbus Crew (no, they did not change the name. we won't talk about the badge) have roughly the same payrolls (see a list here https://www.wakingthered.com/2021/5/...ighest-payroll). Furthermore, both teams have just opened brand new stadiums, FC Cincinnati spent $250 million on theirs, The Crew spent $314 million on theirs. MLS runs on a single entity model and salary caps, so there isn't going to be a huge disparity between team spending in any case. The Crew won a championship and FC Cincinnati was in last place in 2020 because the Crew just spent their money more wisely.

Finally, I haven't been to matches in Buenos Aires or Rome. I've been to matches in Europe back in the '90s when hooliganism was still a thing so I'm familiar with football violence. Quite frankly, I prefer the good-natured non-violent rivalries. I go to the games to watch the games and cheer on my team, not get into a brawl. I'm too old for that crap.

FTR, the "Hell Is Real" moniker is meant to be "tongue-in-cheek." It has nothing to do with any kind of fierce, violent blood feud between Cincinnati and Columbus. It quite literally refers to a billboard on I71 between Cincinnati and Columbus. I've driven past it countless times in my life. Here's a photo. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...41838120070129
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Yeah I’m not sure the distance thing has anything to do with rivals, particularly in MLS. There are only 2 cities that have multiple teams that are somewhat close geographically.

There’s no rivalry with RB Salzburg and Rapid Vienna/ Austria Vienna. RB Salzburg is a Rich new (2005. Columbus is older) club with no history and no tradition that has won 10 of the last 12 league titles.
    what I consider a real rivalry is Brazil Argentina in the Copa America final tonight. And pretty close to that is Italy England on Sunday. Incidentally, the best player for Columbus Zelarayan, is not playing for Argentina. He‘s not good enough. Neither is Reynoso for Minnesota. That is proof of the gap of authentic quality football between the US and México, much less Argentina. We should be a lot more humble about our rivalries and our level of play.

Soccer snob is upset that fans are enjoying soccer that snobs don't enjoy. More at 11.

If the fans are having fun who cares?

10. Likes:

IslandRed (07-12-2021)

Cincinnati actually has a higher payroll this season than Columbus.

12. Likes:

Betterread (07-10-2021)

I am aware of regional rivalries and they can be tasty games when the teams are even in terms of talent and money. But they are different from an intercity derby, or a national team tournament match, which is ALWAYS a big game regardless of the standings of the teams.
    Roma- Lazio is a derby, Juve - Inter is not. LA galaxy v LAFC is the only MLS derby. There are two NY teams but one plays in New Jersey, and they are both corporate appendages of a larger company (Red Bull and Man City) so they don’t have the same fan commitment as LA, or even Columbus, Cincinnati.

I am aware of regional rivalries and they can be tasty games when the teams are even in terms of talent and money. But they are different from an intercity derby, or a national team tournament match, which is ALWAYS a big game regardless of the standings of the teams.
    Roma- Lazio is a derby, Juve - Inter is not. LA galaxy v LAFC is the only MLS derby. There are two NY teams but one plays in New Jersey, and they are both corporate appendages of a larger company (Red Bull and Man City) so they don’t have the same fan commitment as LA, or even Columbus, Cincinnati.
    Galaxy fans don’t even consider LAFC their biggest rival. It could get there in time, but San Jose has the history and Seattle has earned it with a ton of important games over the years.

It all kind of depends on how strict you want to be about the definition of a derby. The term gets used fairly loosely around the world and by the press and commentators. Anyway, Columbus and Cincinnati most definitely have a rivalry, even if it's new. That it doesn't have the history of Boca Juniors vs. River Plate isn't really the point. As fans of the sport, we ought to be happy to see any rivalry taking shape.
    Last edited by M2; 07-10-2021 at 02:49 PM.

16. Likes:

IslandRed (07-12-2021),Yachtzee (07-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Cincinnati actually has a higher payroll this season than Columbus.
    You are right. They have the 5th highest payroll in the league. They spend 2X as much as Minnesota. They better make the playoffs at least.

Not sure which stadium was better. I was slightly intoxicated at both places.

But soccer in Ohio is in a great place. STH for Crew for a good long while. Love the new field, but loved the location of the old one with tailgating in the parking lot as well.

The Revs are currently slapping Miami with la manita.

Turn Off Ads?