Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MLS is ready to begin

Re: 2021 MLS is ready to begin

There's reports that the Crew are about to rebrand to "Columbus SC" and introduce a new logo. There's a leaked logo floating out there on Twitter. If it's real, it's a huge step in the wrong direction.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    There's reports that the Crew are about to rebrand to "Columbus SC" and introduce a new logo. There's a leaked logo floating out there on Twitter. If it's real, it's a huge step in the wrong direction.
    Saw that. Could just be rumors, but I guess it would make sense to time up with the new stadium. Seems really unnecessary though.

The world jumped on the express train to hell at about the same time Josef Martinez tore his ACL.

Mattinez scored a goal today.

May that be another small sign that we are moving a little farther away from ubiquitous insanity.

This type of change, without fan input, in the middle of a season, after begging for money and support of the community is disgusting. I would pick a new team to support, fast. The club is run by con-men. More garbage is sure to follow.

https://news.sportslogos.net/2021/05...ebrand/soccer/

New logo reminds me of Larry’s nephew -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYVK_OqyUzk
    Last edited by Betterread; 05-11-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Yeah I don’t get it at all. The new logo isn’t good, which obviously doesn’t help. And if you are planning on continuing to use the Crew anyway, then why change the name and piss off your fans?

This isn’t Super League level stupid and I wouldn’t stop cheering for the team, but it’s pretty tone deaf.

Why couldn't they have changed the official name (which I get), but kept the logo?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Apparently the furniture and other fit and finish items started to arrive at the stadium today. They waited as long as they could before making it official. But clearly, this was all finalized many months ago given the lead time for the custom-designed everything about to be installed at the stadium. It's going to be prohibitively expensive to change all that now. So they won't.

I'm not going to get hyperbolic over this, though it is deflating. The previous logo was designed with heavy fan input. Part of that was Precourt was cheap and perfectly happy to rely on free labor. But it also meant the logo has some real authenticity, and it wasn't aging poorly. The new logo and branding offers no reason to even try to warm up to it.

And the bit about the seat pattern mimicking the checkered flag waving is a load of BS. The pattern is core to the new branding.

What did the Haslems and MLS hope to achieve with this? What problem existed that it was to solve? Who is this going to appeal to that wasn't already invested into the club?
    Last edited by paintmered; 05-11-2021 at 06:55 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Apparently the furniture and other fit and finish items started to arrive at the stadium today. They waited as long as they could before making it official. But clearly, this was all finalized many months ago given the lead time for the custom-designed everything about to be installed at the stadium. It's going to be prohibitively expensive to change all that now. So they won't.

I'm not going to get hyperbolic over this, though it is deflating. The previous logo was designed with heavy fan input. Part of that was Precourt was cheap and perfectly happy to rely on free labor. But it also meant the logo has some real authenticity, and it wasn't aging poorly. The new logo and branding offers no reason to even try to warm up to it.

And the bit about the seat pattern mimicking the checkered flag waving is a load of BS. The pattern is core to the new branding.

What did the Haslems and MLS hope to achieve with this? What problem existed that it was to solve? Who is this going to appeal to that wasn't already invested into the club?
    The most recent logo was a huge upgrade over the original logo...which was absolutely not great and borderline weird. The new one is only a few years old and it’s not uncommon for teams to change logos and badges. I think if the new one was good that would help, but it isn’t.

The weird name change, but keep the nickname thing is the bigger issue IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    The most recent logo was a huge upgrade over the original logo...which was absolutely not great and borderline weird. The new one is only a few years old and it’s not uncommon for teams to change logos and badges. I think if the new one was good that would help, but it isn’t.

The weird name change, but keep the nickname thing is the bigger issue IMO.
    I get the latter part. Arsenal's official name isn't the Arsenal Gunners. The nickname is a fan thing in most of the world. They can still be commonly known as the Crew even if that's not the official name. Yet I'm wondering if all of this is part of the fallout of the Precourt deal. Either the change is required in the deal or perhaps Precourt still owns the IP on the older name and logo.

Oops. Wrong thread.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I get the latter part. Arsenal's official name isn't the Arsenal Gunners. The nickname is a fan thing in most of the world. They can still be commonly known as the Crew even if that's not the official name. Yet I'm wondering if all of this is part of the fallout of the Precourt deal. Either the change is required in the deal or perhaps Precourt still owns the IP on the older name and logo.

It's not a Precourt IP deal, because, with Single Entity, I believe the league as a whole holds the IP licenses for all the clubs. They may in fact all be held by SUM (Soccer United Marketing), which also includes marketing (and TV deals for) the US national teams and is the actually golden goose. Even if Precourt held the licenses for the Crew IP when he owned the Crew, I doubt the Haslams would have bought into the league to run the Columbus Crew without securing the IP licenses for the team.

The reason they've given is that they want to grow the team to be a "global brand." The problem with all of this is that it was clearly done with zero input from supporters. First of all, dumping "Crew" from the official name, just two years after you had a "Save the Crew" movement, makes zero sense, especially when you're talking about making the team a "global brand." The "Save the Crew" movement gave the team worldwide recognition that you don't get from a simple rebrand. Second of all, if they were going to drop something from the name "Columbus Crew SC," it would be the "SC." The one part of the rebranding that Precourt did that drove everyone nuts was the insistence that all media refer to short form of the team as "Crew SC." They even replaced the Crew Cat mascot with a new cat mascot named "SC." The whole "SC" thing was contrived and everyone hated it. So when the Save the Crew movement started, one of the things they did was to start using the hashtag "#Crew96" to replace "#CrewSC" on twitter. So when the new owners took over, they also adopted the "#Crew96" hashtag.

Seriously, if they had just a rebrand openly with the supporters, they probably would have done better by renaming the team Columbus Crew 96 if they were trying to make it more "European" (reminiscent of German clubs like Hannover 96 or Schalke 04). Instead, they went with Columbus SC, which immediately makes people think the team is from a city named Columbus in South Carolina. And then there is the stupid logo with trying to cram a C-shape into the shape of the Ohio state flag. If they had wanted a unique shape for their badge, they could have done a better job of using the shape of the State of Ohio and then putting the number 96 in there, or maybe even a C96 in there. Of course, this is just the continuation of a series of branding missteps the FO has engaged in, which include using varying shades of gray for the seating in the new stadium as opposed some combination of black and gold, and opting for a gray/white "stadium" jersey to offset their black jersey, which effectively punted the color yellow as a uniform color to Nashville, after Columbus had been wearing yellow for most of its history, affectionately known as the banana kit. All of this just seems like a long series of crucial and expensive mistakes that could have been avoided had they simply sought input from the supporters.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

13. Likes:

IslandRed (05-25-2021),M2 (05-14-2021)

@Dylan_Butler
    Sunday, May 16, 2021, 10:28 AM

Logan Ketterer might not have known all his teammates names yet, but he knew the guy staring down at him from 12 yards away. That face was a familiar one, belonging to Major League Soccer’s all-time leading scorer and Chris Wondolowski was primed to bury his 169th career goal from the penalty spot and equalize against the Portland Timbers in the 62nd minute Saturday night. On paper, this was perhaps the ultimate mismatch — the Extreme Hardship Rule call-up vs. the King of Goals. But Ketterer was armed with two important weapons — knowledge and plenty of recent experience facing penalty kicks.

“Unfortunately I’ve gotten into my own element a little bit seeing a lot of penalties in the past year or two,” Ketterer said after helping lead the Timbers to a 2-0 win over the Quakes. “It certainly helped as I’ve had plenty of experiences to draw on. The most important thing to think about as a goalkeeper is that you’re not expected to make the save so there’s really nothing that can go wrong. All you can do is push as hard as you can and make sure you don’t go off the line early. It was a great moment for me.”

Ketterer did just that, diving to his left to get his left hand on the low PK attempt. The ball caromed out for a corner, which allowed his new teammates a chance to hug their goalkeeper for his heroics.

Not bad for an MLS debut. Logan Ketterer is the first Timbers goalkeeper ever to save a penalty kick and have a shutout in the same MLS match.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/logan...imbers-pk-hero
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

We once again have the Columbus Crew. Crisis averted.

16. Likes:

Chip R (05-18-2021),Yachtzee (05-19-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    We once again have the Columbus Crew. Crisis averted.
    I guess New England gets to be the only fanbase that got to bust on that crest. For the record, yes the Revs crest was drawn in crayon.

Tell you what, ol Zelarayan is pretty special.

I would say NYCFC were surprised in only that most MLS teams don't have players who can hit world-class free kicks.

Turn Off Ads?