Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Wade Miley #4

Re: Wade Miley #4

Quote Originally Posted by Ash11 View Post
    The first baseman has sucked for a long time

So that’s not too controversial
    You’re persistent if anything

2. Likes:

RedsfaninMT (03-06-2021),Ron Madden (03-06-2021),Tom Servo (03-06-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quick fix: ignore him.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

It’s ok, he says he’s going to be a slugger this year. I guess that he hasn’t wanted to be one the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Loyalist View Post
    It’s ok, he says he’s going to be a slugger this year. I guess that he hasn’t wanted to be one the last couple of years.
    I agree but don’t want to make this a votto thread.

However, in his last 200 games, he has 69 RBI batting in the top 3rd of the order. That is hilarious and sad simultaneously

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Right. My problem isn't with the contracts, but with the direction of the franchise. If you're going to open up the pocketbook and make a run for a flag to then turn it around the next year and not make obvious improvements to your team on the field seems short sighted. The reds have spent most of my children's lives being a team whose "hope" relies on everything breaking the right way. Good franchises, meaning franchises that actually attract fans, aren't run that way.
    Yes, I feel the same way. The Reds opened up the pocketbook before 2020, but there was no long term plan.
    Now, we are tied down with all those guys and have a money pinch. We can't even bring in a legitimate starting SS, and we have multiple holes in the pitching staff. If we had money to patch the holes, then the 2020 preseason wouldn't necessarily be a disaster. But now, we have money tied up in mediocre Miley and Shogo when there's other very pressing needs.
    We probably won't be able to make any moves until these contracts start rolling off.. by then Gray and Castillo will be gone or have very little control left. Unless the farm starts producing, a lot of players will be gone.

It was just a poor plan. And the Reds can't blame it on the virus either. Even if there was no virus, we'd probably still be in a financial pinch this winter. The 2020 preseason reminds me of when Lindner got booed, so the next offseason he signed Randa, Milton, and some other guys hoping to get an "instant contender".. Seems like ownership saw attendance cratering, so they
    hoped to sign some free agents to try to win while Bauer was here , but had no plan for what to do after 2020. Putting all there
    eggs in one basket..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    If Wade Miley's the biggest problem on this roster, the Reds will be far better than I hoped.
    I don't understand.. So if Miley is a disaster and has a 5.5-6.00 + ERA as a starter, the Reds will be in better shape than you hoped? I'm not saying Miley will be that bad, but it's possible.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Wade got rocked today.

Let’s make sure he’s in the rotation. It’s only been 18-20 months since he was a serviceable mlb starter

I’m sure he’ll bounce back cause of magic and hope.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yes, I feel the same way. The Reds opened up the pocketbook before 2020, but there was no long term plan.
    Now, we are tied down with all those guys and have a money pinch. We can't even bring in a legitimate starting SS, and we have multiple holes in the pitching staff. If we had money to patch the holes, then the 2020 preseason wouldn't necessarily be a disaster. But now, we have money tied up in mediocre Miley and Shogo when there's other very pressing needs.
    We probably won't be able to make any moves until these contracts start rolling off.. by then Gray and Castillo will be gone or have very little control left. Unless the farm starts producing, a lot of players will be gone.

It was just a poor plan. And the Reds can't blame it on the virus either. Even if there was no virus, we'd probably still be in a financial pinch this winter. The 2020 preseason reminds me of when Lindner got booed, so the next offseason he signed Randa, Milton, and some other guys hoping to get an "instant contender".. Seems like ownership saw attendance cratering, so they
    hoped to sign some free agents to try to win while Bauer was here , but had no plan for what to do after 2020. Putting all there
    eggs in one basket..
    Honestly, I'm guessing part of the plan was for Castellanos to mash in 2020 and opting out and going into 2021 with Winker, Senzel, Shogo and spending the remainder on a SS

11. Likes:

REDREAD (03-06-2021)

So, Miley is going to be the whipping boy this year, then? Seems like an odd choice.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

49 starts in 2018-2019 with a 3.52 ERA and 4.21 FIP.

6 games (4 "starts") in 2020 with a 5.65 ERA and a 4.73 ERA.

To say this thread has been an overreaction would be an understatement.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

14. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-09-2021),M2 (03-06-2021),RedTeamGo! (03-06-2021),Ron Madden (03-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I don't understand.. So if Miley is a disaster and has a 5.5-6.00 + ERA as a starter, the Reds will be in better shape than you hoped? I'm not saying Miley will be that bad, but it's possible.
    From my viewpoint, if a failed 5th starter is your teams biggest issue, your team is doing pretty well. Seems to me that means Eugenio, Moose, and others have returned to form. It means Senzel hasn't suffered another injury and that Castillo and Gray are pitching as expected. All of those would be much bigger problems than Miley struggling.

16. Likes:

Bourgeois Zee (03-06-2021),Edd Roush (03-09-2021),M2 (03-06-2021),Ron Madden (03-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    49 starts in 2018-2019 with a 3.52 ERA and 4.21 FIP.

6 games (4 "starts") in 2020 with a 5.65 ERA and a 4.73 ERA.

To say this thread has been an overreaction would be an understatement.
    Look at his second half of 2019. He’s been getting shelled over his last 20 starts.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Honestly, I'm guessing part of the plan was for Castellanos to mash in 2020 and opting out and going into 2021 with Winker, Senzel, Shogo and spending the remainder on a SS
    You might be right, but that's a bad plan IMO. (Not criticizing you personally, just if that was the plan)

My opinion: The Reds were desperate to make a big push in 2020 and made some poor decisions.. Miley, Shogo, and Strop.
    Castanellos and Moose? They weren't horrible decisions. The problem is that there's no financial wiggle room to build the rest of the team. In a vacuum? Sure, they were ok signings. Big picture? The budget is so tight, the Reds are going to slowly sink as the team ages. When all the contracts roll off, the Reds should have budget room, but not much of a "core" left to build on.
    Castillo in Gray will likely either be traded or leave as FA. But maybe the Reds surprise us and extend one or both of them.

Shogo and Miley make something like 15 million between them this year.. for a borderline starting pitcher and a 4th OF. That's really what's killing us this year.

If Castanallos did opt out, the offense (Which was 25th last year in runs scored) gets even worse. Shogo would not likely be able to pick up the slack. I'm glad Cast did not opt out. If he did, the Reds probably would not have spent the savings.

So , to be clear, the 2021 Reds will probably be an interesting team to follow. I doubt they make the unexpanded playoffs, but at least it will be more fun than the tanking teams.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    From my viewpoint, if a failed 5th starter is your teams biggest issue, your team is doing pretty well. Seems to me that means Eugenio, Moose, and others have returned to form. It means Senzel hasn't suffered another injury and that Castillo and Gray are pitching as expected. All of those would be much bigger problems than Miley struggling.
    Ok, now I see what you're saying. Yea, if Miley is the ONLY problem. I agree.
    I think there will be multiple problems next year though. Miley might be the worse one (maybe not)

Personally I like the idea of Miley in the bullpen. I think he could provide serviceable innings there. But as a fifth starter he should be fine if they hold him to just a couple of times through the lineup.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Turn Off Ads?