Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Wade Miley #4

Re: Wade Miley #4

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    Moustakas has 2 years left after this one
    I was wrong. The third year has a 4 million dollar buyout. So...Yes, he has 2 years. Thanks. It's still a whopper compared to Miley and can't get it off the books quickly enough.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I was wrong. The third year has a 4 million dollar buyout. So...Yes, he has 2 years. Thanks. It's still a whopper compared to Miley and can't get it off the books quickly enough.
    Dang, what did Moustakas do to you? Is it a great contract, no. Is it terrible, also no. He’s going to be a 2-3 war 2B making $16 Mil a year. Basically earning his pay.

Yeah the Reds should be trying to pay as few people as possible their fair market value, but Moustakas isn’t going to hold this team back. Especially when we can develop pitchers and not hitters.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-09-2021),HammerTime (03-06-2021),MoneyInTheBank (03-06-2021)

Miley's signing was in keeping with the rest of what they did last off season. They found a veteran player who might be able to contribute and signed him to an expensive, but not atrocious contract. In retrospect It was a lot of things, but not really a joke.

3 of the last 5 seasons he's been pretty terrible, the thing is those other two years....he went roughly 19-8 in 240 innings with an ERA+ of 130. That's pretty good stuff right there and the reds can use all of that that they can get.

This is the expensive year of the contract. Miley is going to make 8 million and then most likely get another million to buy out next year escalation to 10 million, but you know who got 6 million this last off season? Anthony DeSclafani. It's the same deal. Oddly enough in the last 5 years DeSlafani has had two good years where he went.....roughly 18-14 in 290 innings with an ERA+ of 130. So Disco wasn't as good when he was good and he was less terrible when he was bad, but roughly the same pitcher as Miley. Of course Miley is a lefty and folks love that and starting pitchers get hurt. It's a rare team that has too many starting pitchers.

It's not a good contract, but it's not a joke.

Moustakas contract? That's a joke. after 2021 they have him for ANOTHER three years at 18 million per. That's a big old ouchie there.
    We talked this subject to death last Summer. Not sure why we are even going here again.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by Ash11 View Post
    No team serious about contending would march a guy like Wade Miley out in their rotation. Even as the #5.

Earmarking him for 25+ Starts is a handicap that an already deficient club can not overcome.

His contract was laughable when signed, and is not a reason to keep such a low upside player in the rotation.

Reds were 1-3 in his 4 start campaign last year, and over his last 10 starts dating back to 2019, he has a 10+ ERA. 30 ER in 25 IP.

Lodolo should be in consideration, as well as Antone, obviously.

The Reds have been losers for decades. Moves like letting Wade Miley start and get meaningful innings is only going to perpetuate this.
    Yes, Miley was clearly a mistake signing.
    Yes, I understand, a lot of people are optimistic he can turn it around, and I don't want to be a party pooper about that.
    But honestly, I think if it was possible to go back in time, not sign Miley, and have that cash to spend on different player(s), I think everyone would want to do that.
    We're stuck with him, hopefully he pitches ok.
    I guess I don't see the Reds as contenders this year, so I'm not really stressing out over it.
    Sure, it's possible the Reds could make an unexpanded playoffs if everything goes well. I just think it's unlikely.
    Miley is one of multiple guys that really has to come through to make it happen.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I think when the contract was signed it was pretty clear year 4 was going to be iffy, but that is usually what happens when you dip into free agency. You hope that the value comes back over the life of the contract. If you believe in Fangraphs WAR/value conversion, Moustakas actually outperformed his 2020 salary despite having a bit of a down year.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yes, Miley was clearly a mistake signing.
    Yes, I understand, a lot of people are optimistic he can turn it around, and I don't want to be a party pooper about that.
    But honestly, I think if it was possible to go back in time, not sign Miley, and have that cash to spend on different player(s), I think everyone would want to do that.
    We're stuck with him, hopefully he pitches ok.
    I guess I don't see the Reds as contenders this year, so I'm not really stressing out over it.
    Sure, it's possible the Reds could make an unexpanded playoffs if everything goes well. I just think it's unlikely.
    Miley is one of multiple guys that really has to come through to make it happen.
    Right. My problem isn't with the contracts, but with the direction of the franchise. If you're going to open up the pocketbook and make a run for a flag to then turn it around the next year and not make obvious improvements to your team on the field seems short sighted. The reds have spent most of my children's lives being a team whose "hope" relies on everything breaking the right way. Good franchises, meaning franchises that actually attract fans, aren't run that way.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

9. Likes:

REDREAD (03-06-2021)

The reds are a passive, reactive, bottom feeding team. Giving Wade Miley 16m is just another blunder in a comical litany of hilarious transaction/non transactions of the last 30 years.

Run off nepotism, historic nostalgia and small town thinking.

The reds don’t try to compete or build a consistent winner. They try to luck into contention every 8-12 years then go back and die

They’re big moment was last year. Now they’re back to bottom feeders

If Wade Miley's the biggest problem on this roster, the Reds will be far better than I hoped.

12. Likes:

dfs (03-06-2021),Edd Roush (03-09-2021),M2 (03-06-2021),Ron Madden (03-06-2021),Tom Servo (03-06-2021)

The reds last player who played when they were 22 or younger was jay Bruce in 2008. That’s the longest drought in baseball. 13 teams had a guy 22 or younger last year.

What a franchise.

The reds last player who played when they were 22 or younger was jay Bruce in 2008. That’s the longest drought in baseball. 13 teams had a guy 22 or younger last year.

What a franchise.
    This isn't even remotely true

What a franchise.
    Garcia was 22 last year. Doesn’t turn 23 until next month. Lol.

Bresser, man, how is this fun?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

16. Likes:

JFLegal (03-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyInTheBank View Post
    This isn't even remotely true
    You’re right. Garcia. It was drafted players. Key
    Omission by me, my bad. Heard it on 700

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    If Wade Miley's the biggest problem on this roster, the Reds will be far better than I hoped.
    Truest thing I've seen said about baseball in a long time.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

19. Likes:

Griffey012 (03-06-2021)

Miley is capable of having a decent year, he’s had them in the past. There’s a team full of players looking for a bounce back year. He’s only gonna top out at 90mph but he’s a LH that throws 6 pitches and he’s a ground ball pitcher. There’s a place for a guy like this on your team. If he fails as a number 5 starter then he could make a decent bullpen guy coming into games following speed pitchers. These are the type of vets that teach younger guys a new pitch. I know that’s what coaches are for but not every coach has gotten MLers out with 6 pitches. He might suck this year but so might the first baseman or any other player on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Loyalist View Post
    Miley is capable of having a decent year, he’s had them in the past. There’s a team full of players looking for a bounce back year. He’s only gonna top out at 90mph but he’s a LH that throws 6 pitches and he’s a ground ball pitcher. There’s a place for a guy like this on your team. If he fails as a number 5 starter then he could make a decent bullpen guy coming into games following speed pitchers. These are the type of vets that teach younger guys a new pitch. I know that’s what coaches are for but not every coach has gotten MLers out with 6 pitches. He might suck this year but so might the first baseman or any other player on this team.
    The first baseman has sucked for a long time

So that’s not too controversial

Turn Off Ads?