Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2021 New York Jets and Giants - who's the king of NY?

2021 New York Jets and Giants - who's the king of NY?

More proof that being a Super Star Quarterback for the New York Jets (the Jets are to New York City compared to the Giants, as the Yankees are compared to the Mets...yes, there's Mets and Giants fans, but the Jets and Yankees rule their prospective sports in the greatest media mecca in the World).

Joe Namath won't go away. He rode one great season into a lifetime of endorsements.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The incredible NFL QB carousel of 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    More proof that being a Super Star Quarterback for the New York Jets (the Jets are to New York City compared to the Giants, as the Yankees are compared to the Mets...yes, there's Mets and Giants fans, but the Jets and Yankees rule their prospective sports in the greatest media mecca in the World).

Joe Namath won't go away. He rode one great season into a lifetime of endorsements.
    Hahaha - what in the world are you talking about? As a born and bred NYer I can tell you this is not even close to true. If you are a Yankee fan then most likely you are also a Giants fan, a Ranger fan and a Knick fan. If you are a Mets fan then you are most likely a Jets fan, an Islander fan and a Knick fan (although now that Nets have jumped the border they have gobbled up fans from putrid of late Knicks).

In short, NY is definitely more Giants fans than Jets fans. When I went to school up in Syracuse everyone up there was either a Bills fan or a Giants fan (60/40 split). No Jets fans at all. In Poughkeepsie, where I grew up (70 miles north of Manhattan, 50 miles from the Bronx) it was 75/25 Giants over Jets. Living in Florida I have friends I've met down here who are Giants fans who also moved from NY/NJ. I have yet to meet one Jets fan.

Seriously, this might be the most off base take I've seen on here
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Hey it made Marc Sanchez a household name...
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Hahaha - what in the world are you talking about? As a born and bred NYer I can tell you this is not even close to true. If you are a Yankee fan then most likely you are also a Giants fan, a Ranger fan and a Knick fan. If you are a Mets fan then you are most likely a Jets fan, an Islander fan and a Knick fan (although now that Nets have jumped the border they have gobbled up fans from putrid of late Knicks).

In short, NY is definitely more Giants fans than Jets fans. When I went to school up in Syracuse everyone up there was either a Bills fan or a Giants fan (60/40 split). No Jets fans at all. In Poughkeepsie, where I grew up (70 miles north of Manhattan, 50 miles from the Bronx) it was 75/25 Giants over Jets. Living in Florida I have friends I've met down here who are Giants fans who also moved from NY/NJ. I have yet to meet one Jets fan.

Seriously, this might be the most off base take I've seen on here
    This is the worst take by someone who thinks they are in touch with the likenesses of sports teams in their area. You are clearly limited in your understanding to the clubs and basements you have spent your life hanging out in. Giants are to the Nets as the Jets are to the Knicks. Nobody has claimed to be a Knicks fan for a long time, but it won't take long for their lifetime allegiance to come out as soon as they start winning. They are both in dormant state.

The converstion, as any real New Yorker would have grasped, was about what team one plays for will get them lifetime endorsements, not whose beer buddy likes who the most, and the answer to that is the Jets. Nobody cares who plays Quarterback for the Giants, especially not the advertising media. The whole advertising media cares who plays quarterback for the Jets. As soon as there's a QB that can lead the JETS to the Superbowl, or just shows potential to do so, that guy will instantly become the highest paid player in the NFL when endorsements are included. Not true for a Giants QB. Eli Manning? Isn't he the brother of that Peyton dude that most of the world has never heard of?
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 03-06-2021 at 02:12 PM.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I don't know much about NY, but even I know that Jets play second fiddle to Giants.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

7. Likes:

Chip R (03-08-2021),Rojo Rijo (03-06-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I don't know much about NY, but even I know that Jets play second fiddle to Giants.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but the last time the Giants were Nationally popular was when Frank Gifford was their starting Runningback. Getting to and winning Super Bowls has never changed that.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the last time the Giants were Nationally popular was when Frank Gifford was their starting Runningback. Getting to and winning Super Bowls has never changed that.
    The Jets are to the Giants what the Clippers are to the Lakers. The stadium/arena agreements were even similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

10. Likes:

Chip R (03-08-2021)

You need to stop with this idea. There is a small degree of rebeliion against the Yankees/Knicks/Giants hegemony, but that is a small burst of water vrs the Tsunami.

The only take I’d consider here is that perhaps the Jets are more well known nationally, just from a standpoint of the fact that they are always being made fun of.

I remember watching the NFL draft when it was held in NY and every year, when they announced the Jets first round pick, it would get roundly booed.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

14. Likes:

Chip R (03-08-2021),Kingspoint (03-07-2021)

This is the worst take by someone who thinks they are in touch with the likenesses of sports teams in their area. You are clearly limited in your understanding to the clubs and basements you have spent your life hanging out in. Giants are to the Nets as the Jets are to the Knicks. Nobody has claimed to be a Knicks fan for a long time, but it won't take long for their lifetime allegiance to come out as soon as they start winning. They are both in dormant state.

The converstion, as any real New Yorker would have grasped, was about what team one plays for will get them lifetime endorsements, not whose beer buddy likes who the most, and the answer to that is the Jets. Nobody cares who plays Quarterback for the Giants, especially not the advertising media. The whole advertising media cares who plays quarterback for the Jets. As soon as there's a QB that can lead the JETS to the Superbowl, or just shows potential to do so, that guy will instantly become the highest paid player in the NFL when endorsements are included. Not true for a Giants QB. Eli Manning? Isn't he the brother of that Peyton dude that most of the world has never heard of?
    So, I am limited in my understandings, I hung in basements, and I am not a "real New Yorker." I am doing my best to refrain here and not stoop to your level.

I'll just say Eli is 1 of 2 QBs to ever host SNL. Has multiple endorsement deals. Tiki Barber has a career in TV and radio. Michael Strahan is freaking everywhere including having hosted with Kelly Ripa. Phil Simms - enough said.

Now name a famous Jet after Namath. I'll wait.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Lest we forget FitzMagic?
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

17. Likes:

UKFlounder (03-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I remember watching the NFL draft when it was held in NY and every year, when they announced the Jets first round pick, it would get roundly booed.
    It was usually Jets fans booing the pick.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

19. Likes:

757690 (03-07-2021),UKFlounder (03-07-2021)

So, I am limited in my understandings, I hung in basements, and I am not a "real New Yorker." I am doing my best to refrain here and not stoop to your level.

I'll just say Eli is 1 of 2 QBs to ever host SNL. Has multiple endorsement deals. Tiki Barber has a career in TV and radio. Michael Strahan is freaking everywhere including having hosted with Kelly Ripa. Phil Simms - enough said.

Most of the world has never heard of Tiki Barber. Wow! What a stretch! Phil Simms? Are you kidding me? Put him in a lineup of 10 people and have only two of them be blond, and 99 out of 100 average persons could not pick him out. Same goes for Eli. Michael Strahan is the only one who has done something, and he wasn't a Quarterback and it had nothing to do with him being a NYG. He had charisma and made a second career for himself through hard work, which has nothing to do with the conversation here. And, yes, you are limiting yourself and your "New York" expertise by suggesting that New York Giants have universal appeal after they win a Championship. Nobody cares. The average person has no idea who Eli Manning, Phil Simms and Tiki Barber are, what they look like or can recall ever having seen them before in their lives.

"Which million-dollar advertising contract are you thinking about right now?"

"That's tough. We have so many, I started writing them down to keep track."

Turn Off Ads?