Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2021 New York Jets and Giants - who's the king of NY?

Re: The incredible NFL QB carousel of 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    So, I am limited in my understandings, I hung in basements, and I am not a "real New Yorker." I am doing my best to refrain here and not stoop to your level.

I'll just say Eli is 1 of 2 QBs to ever host SNL. Has multiple endorsement deals. Tiki Barber has a career in TV and radio. Michael Strahan is freaking everywhere including having hosted with Kelly Ripa. Phil Simms - enough said.

Now name a famous Jet after Namath. I'll wait.

But yeah, the idea the Jets are way more popular than the Giants is one of the funniest things I’ve read on the internet.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

2. Likes:

Chip R (03-08-2021)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Most of the world has never heard of Tiki Barber. Wow! What a stretch! Phil Simms? Are you kidding me? Put him in a lineup of 10 people and have only two of them be blond, and 99 out of 100 average persons could not pick him out. Same goes for Eli. Michael Strahan is the only one who has done something, and he wasn't a Quarterback and it had nothing to do with him being a NYG. He had charisma and made a second career for himself through hard work, which has nothing to do with the conversation here. And, yes, you are limiting yourself and your "New York" expertise by suggesting that New York Giants have universal appeal after they win a Championship. Nobody cares. The average person has no idea who Eli Manning, Phil Simms and Tiki Barber are, what they look like or can recall ever having seen them before in their lives.
    Honestly, are you yanking our chains?

I mean, the last time Joe Namath was culturally relevant was when he got drunk and sexually harassed a female sideline reporter on national television. That was nearly 15 years ago. He’s an absolute nobody now. Phil Simms is currently one of the more recognizable NFL TV commentators. Wayyyyyy more people currently know who Phil Simms is right now compared to Namath. If you are under the age of 30 and watch NFL football you absolutely know who Simms is and have no idea who Namath is. None.

Eli Manning currently gets paid millions to do national television commercials. Namath is one of those guys that does ambulance chaser law commercials at 3 AM in New Jersey.
    Last edited by RedTeamGo!; 03-07-2021 at 01:27 PM.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    And, yes, you are limiting yourself and your "New York" expertise by suggesting that New York Giants have universal appeal after they win a Championship. Nobody cares. The average person has no idea who Eli Manning, Phil Simms and Tiki Barber are, what they look like or can recall ever having seen them before in their lives.
    Point me to one quote on this thread where I stated anything about the Giants championships or universal appeal.

The only thing I have done is compare the Giants to the Jets.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Now name a famous Jet after Namath. I'll wait.
    Only one I can think of is Mark Gastineu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Darrelle Revis and "Revis Island" was a thing for a little while.

Interesting side note: Ronnie Lott finished his career as a Jet, which I have zero recollection of.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

8. Likes:

Chip R (03-08-2021)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Curtis Martin had the quietest 14,000+ yd. career of any of the 6 players who have ever done that.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

10. Likes:

BillDoran (03-08-2021),Chip R (03-08-2021),Revering4Blue (03-08-2021),RichRed (03-08-2021)

Keyshawn Johnson
    Wayne Chrebet
    Magold

But man it’s been thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash11 View Post
    Keyshawn Johnson
    Wayne Chrebet
    Magold

But man it’s been thin.
    I'll give you Keyshawn but the others weren't exactly huge names that even non-football fans might know.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I'll give you Keyshawn but the others weren't exactly huge names that even non-football fans might know.
    The fact that “Magold” slipped past the editors is pretty telling.

14. Likes:

Chip R (03-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Curtis Martin had the quietest 14,000+ yd. career of any of the 6 players who have ever done that.
    So quiet that I didn't realize he's already been in the HOF for 9 years.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post

But yeah, the idea the Jets are way more popular than the Giants is one of the funniest things I’ve read on the internet.
    I wish posters could read and understand topics. The topic was never "who is the most popular team in New York or anywhere else", even though Luffy got all rattled when he thought that was the topic and proceeded to go off on a tangent that has a number of people following it. But, that's the nature of threads on Redszone....opinions given about anything and everything other than a direct response to the topic. But, everyone, please continue to babble on with Puffy's misdirection.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Honestly, are you yanking our chains?

I mean, the last time Joe Namath was culturally relevant was when he got drunk and sexually harassed a female sideline reporter on national television. That was nearly 15 years ago. He’s an absolute nobody now. Phil Simms is currently one of the more recognizable NFL TV commentators. Wayyyyyy more people currently know who Phil Simms is right now compared to Namath. If you are under the age of 30 and watch NFL football you absolutely know who Simms is and have no idea who Namath is. None.

Eli Manning currently gets paid millions to do national television commercials. Namath is one of those guys that does ambulance chaser law commercials at 3 AM in New Jersey.
    30 minutes can't pass on television without a Joe Namath commercial. That's relevant.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

When I think of Keyshawn I actually think of Tampa Bay more than NY.

One thing I find funny about the Jets is they've had 4 of the NFLs best all time RBs over the last 10 years, but none of them anywhere near prime production.
    Last edited by Rojo Rijo; 03-08-2021 at 03:16 PM.

I knew the Jets hadn't been to a Super Bowl since 1969. I didn't realize the Giants had been to 5 since 1987 and won 4 of them.

Yeah, if anything makes the Jets more popular it's their continued failures.

Turn Off Ads?