Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Experimental Rules Coming To The Minor Leagues This Season

Experimental Rules Coming To The Minor Leagues This Season

Bob Nightengale @BNightengale

In AAA: There will be larger bases, designed to reduce injuries and also create more stolen bases with shorter distance between bases.
    In AA: Players must have a minimum of four players on the infield with two feet completely in front of the outer boundary of the infield dirt.

In Double-A, a new rule will require that four infielders be positioned on the infield dirt (or on the infield grass) at all times, effectively eliminating the increasingly common extreme shifts that see three infielders on one side of second base, with one of those usually playing in the shallow outfield, playing the percentages that the hitter will line out or ground out to that spot in the outfield and taking away would-be base hits. The league also suggested the possibility that the second half of the season will require two infielders to be on either side of second base, which would effectively ban shifts altogether.

In Class A: Pitchers will be required to step off the rubber before throwing to any base.
    In Low Class A: Pitchers will be limited to a total of two “step offs” or “pickoffs” per plate appearance while there is at least one runner on base.

And in the Low A-Ball Southeast league: There will be an automatic strikezone.
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-11-2021 at 05:12 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Experimental Rules Coming To The Minor Leagues This Season

Love the automatic strikezone. The AA boundary is okay, I guess.

The rest of them are obviously meant to add stolen bases back into the game (or at least slightly change the calculus of the stolen base). The Class A rules are the most interesting to me-- stepping off the rubber before throwing to any base plus a limit of two step offs could mean massive jumps for relatively speedy players. Adjusting our numbers will likely be necessary.

4. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-11-2021),Ron Madden (03-11-2021)

MLB Communications
    @MLB_PR
    A variety of experimental playing rules, which have been approved by the Competition Committee and the Playing Rules Committee, will be tested at various levels of the Minor Leagues during the upcoming 2021 season.
    Here https://mobile.twitter.com/MLB_PR/st...829380/photo/2

I like the ones in Double A and Low A

I like them all. Especially the pickoff rule and the automated strike zone. I observed the AA with the pitch clock. It was never enforced so I assume it won't be now either.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

8. Likes:

Edd Roush (03-11-2021),Ron Madden (03-11-2021)

C. Trent Rosecrans @ctrent
    Confirmed this from the great @jjcoop36:
    #Reds' Low-A SE @daytonatortugas will be the only place in the league where umpires will call balls & strikes. Daytona is one place that's not a spring training facility, so no Hawkeye system installed.

Turn Off Ads?