Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

Been a lot of talk about Texas who lifted their mask mandate on March 10th, Florida who has had a pretty loose mask mandate all along and is now having spring break and NY which has the most cases right now. First let me say California which had probably the worse situation in mid Jan, cases have fallen like a rock.

7 Day Average

Texas (Population 29M)
    Mar 10th - 4,889
    Mar 11th - 4,709
    Mar 12th - 4,652
    Mar 13th - 4,547
    Mar 14th - 4,386

Florida (Population 21M)
    Mar 10th - 4,853
    Mar 11th - 4,632
    Mar 12th - 4,522
    Mar 13th - 4,602
    Mar 14th - 4,545

New York (Population 19M)
    Mar 10th - 7,307
    Mar 11th - 7,190
    Mar 12th - 7,198
    Mar 13th - 7,044
    Mar 14th - 6,944
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Been a lot of talk about Texas who lifted their mask mandate on March 10th, Florida who has had a pretty loose mask mandate all along and is now having spring break and NY which has the most cases right now. First let me say California which had probably the worse situation in mid Jan, cases have fallen like a rock.
    I was in Orlando, FL last week. The Disney portion has a very strict mask mandate. You have to even wear a mask outside (amusement park and hotel) Mask has to be over nose and under chin. When eating or drinking, you must be stationary to remove your mask. You cannot walk while eating and/or drinking with mask off. It was in the 70’s/80’s there so it was not too bad wearing a mask outside.

I don’t doubt the other parts of FLORIDA being loose on the mask wearing but just a FYI for those going to Disney World in the near future.

Side note is that it was my first time there. A very well run machine. Disney treats everyone like gold. I wore a Cincinnati Reds shirt three of the days I was there. A great time!
    Last edited by goreds2; 03-15-2021 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Added comment
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

4. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post

7 Day Average

Texas (Population 29M)
    Mar 10th - 4,889
    Mar 11th - 4,709
    Mar 12th - 4,652
    Mar 13th - 4,547
    Mar 14th - 4,386

Florida (Population 21M)
    Mar 10th - 4,853
    Mar 11th - 4,632
    Mar 12th - 4,522
    Mar 13th - 4,602
    Mar 14th - 4,545

New York (Population 19M)
    Mar 10th - 7,307
    Mar 11th - 7,190
    Mar 12th - 7,198
    Mar 13th - 7,044
    Mar 14th - 6,944
    Goes to show the virus is gonna do what it's going to do regardless of what gov't imposes. Good news that it's trending down in all those states

6. Likes:

goreds2 (03-15-2021)

Wouldn’t spring breakers increase numbers in other places outside of Florida? Isn’t that mostly college students from other states?
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Wouldn’t spring breakers increase numbers in other places outside of Florida? Isn’t that mostly college students from other states?
    I would think Spring Breakers would impact Florida more than any state

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I would think Spring Breakers would impact Florida more than any state
    By going there, spreading it around amongst a bunch of people from Ohio, Kentucky, and Oklahoma and then bringing it back to those places? Doesn’t make sense.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (03-15-2021)

I'd suspect that'll be an equal opportunity spreading event.

We're going to see a relative explosion of Covid cases across the country, I'm guessing. That said, states with no-mask mandates would almost assuredly get hit harder than more sensible states, yes?

We're not going to see an explosion of Covid cases across the nation. Perhaps a plateau. Even a slight blip, perhaps, but there won't be an explosion. And then the numbers will resume their fall. The vaccine makes that all but certain.

My kids will be skiing in Colorado this week, but they've had Covid, so they won't be getting it or spreading it to anyone.

13. Likes:

goreds2 (03-15-2021),JaxRed (03-15-2021),jimbo (03-15-2021),RiverRat13 (03-15-2021),Todd Gack (03-17-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    I'd suspect that'll be an equal opportunity spreading event.

We're going to see a relative explosion of Covid cases across the country, I'm guessing. That said, states with no-mask mandates would almost assuredly get hit harder than more sensible states, yes?
    It depends on how you define “relative.” With millions getting the vaccine every day, that should counter the effects of the variants and of people not following protocols, I am guessing. Numbers may rise, but I doubt anything like we’ve seen before the vaccines were out.

And even in states where they are lifting restrictions, even the mask mandate, I think people’s behaviors are set in these days, so we aren’t going to see much difference there. The same people who were following the protocols will continue to do so and the ones breaking protocols will also continue.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

15. Likes:

goreds2 (03-15-2021)

By going there, spreading it around amongst a bunch of people from Ohio, Kentucky, and Oklahoma and then bringing it back to those places? Doesn’t make sense.
    I guess I'd need to hear your theory then. I figured the Spring Breakers would bring it to Florida and spread it around there

LATIMES---

If California had Florida’s death rate, roughly 6,000 more Californians would be dead from COVID-19, and tens of thousands of additional patients likely would have landed in already overburdened hospitals. And if Florida had California’s death rate, roughly 3,000 fewer Floridians would be dead from COVID-19.

18. Likes:

WrongVerb (03-15-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    We're not going to see an explosion of Covid cases across the nation. Perhaps a plateau. Even a slight blip, perhaps, but there won't be an explosion. And then the numbers will resume their fall. The vaccine makes that all but certain.
    Again, it's relative of course, but I think there might well be a pretty big jump of both cases and, unfortunately, deaths.

All of them avoidable.

The new strains are super effective at jumping from host to host. And, while quite a bit of the country has gotten sick, others haven't.
    Last edited by Bourgeois Zee; 03-15-2021 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I guess I'd need to hear your theory then. I figured the Spring Breakers would bring it to Florida and spread it around there
    Florida is the place that is open and not taking precautions. I’m think it’s more likely they get it in FL and bring it back to wherever. Although, they are college kids so they probably have already had it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsm View Post
    LATIMES---
    Florida has less than average death rate even though they have one of the most vulnerable populations. Why not compare California to NY
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Florida's unemployment rate is nearly half of California's. Their amusement parks have stayed open as have their schools. You can go out to eat. Your quality of life there is so much better. They also have far more senior citizens per capita than California. Given all that, FL has done an amazing job. Even with all those shutdowns, California's C19 rate spiked higher than Florida's ever did in January. There were days in December when California hit over 60K cases. Florida was rarely at 20K. Their peak statistically speaking was Jan 2 when they did not report on Jan 1 due to the holiday, 30K. How is it that California had spikes per capita higher than FL if lockdowns and mask mandates work? The numbers just don't support it
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 03-15-2021 at 03:31 PM.

23. Likes:

goreds2 (03-15-2021),jimbo (03-15-2021)

Turn Off Ads?