Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 85

Thread: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

  1. #16
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Venice
    Posts
    27,591

    Re: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

    An obvious factor that is constantly ignored is that LA and NY are international travel hubs, they are were pretty much everyone coming to this country must go through. And most tourists stay in LA and NY, they are by far the most popular tourist destinations. That likely accounts for the high numbers there, sick tourists coming over and spreading it.

    I live in LA and this theory is backed up by what I see. The people in LA not wearing mask, not social distancing are overwhelmingly tourists, they are easy to notice and are everywhere.

    Another data point that backs this up is San Francisco. They have had the same guidelines and protocols in place and have have a tiny fraction of the cases and deaths of LA. If they had LAX, I am rather certain that they would have similar numbers as LA.
    That’s why we’re playing, bro


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,588

    Re: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

    More tourists in LA than Florida? During the pandemic?

  4. Likes:

    goreds2 (03-15-2021)

  5. #18
    Daffy Duck RedTeamGo!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    15,678

    Re: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

    Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Florida has less than average death rate even though they have one of the most vulnerable populations. Why not compare California to NY
    My wife had a question about this with regard to Florida, and perhaps you can shed light on it:

    A childhood friend of hers lives in Tampa. Her and her mother moved there in the 90s. She spoke to her recently and she was very frustrated because her mother is at risk, and she feels like she can never leave her home because of how lax the restrictions are in Florida. My wife asked if a lot of elderly in Florida feel the same way and she said every older Floridian she knows basically never leaves their home because they are terrified to do so. Not just because of the virus, but because of the lack of restrictions. So my wife’s question is: Is Florida’s numbers really that much better or are the older Floridians just not leaving their homes while the younger Floridians are running around without a care in the world, old people be damned? Are the younger people spreading it around and just not getting tested? I find it hard to believe florida is just naturally more immune to a highly contagious virus. Only thing that would make sense if everyone has already had it.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

  6. #19
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Venice
    Posts
    27,591

    Re: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    More tourists in LA than Florida? During the pandemic?
    If Disney World is closed, absolutely. And probably even if not. Foreign tourists are here, all the time, all year round.

    Just looked it up: 7.5M foreign tourists to LA each year, 4.5 to Florida. Plus, LA is a city, Florida is a state.
    That’s why we’re playing, bro

  7. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,588

    Re: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

    7.5M foreign tourists to LA most years. But not this year I don't suspect. And Disney World is open. Disney Land is not.

  8. #21
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Venice
    Posts
    27,591

    Re: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    7.5M foreign tourists to LA most years. But not this year I don't suspect. And Disney World is open. Disney Land is not.
    Disney World is now open, at greatly reduced capacity, but it was closed most of 2020. And foreign tourists don’t come to LA to go to Disney Land. If they do Disney, it’s Disney World. If you’ve been to both. you know why.

    Both LA and Fla tourism were hit hard by Covid, but LA started with nearly twice as many foreign tourists. Florida absolutely gets more domestic tourism, but LA gets the foreign tourists, who are the problem. Plus, much of Florida’s foreign tourism comes from Canada, not much of a Covid problem.
    That’s why we’re playing, bro

  9. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,588

    Re: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

    Disney World reopened July 11. Maybe there's still a lot of foreign tourism into LA, but I would be surprised. Domestically, I certainly haven't heard anyone say how great an idea it would be to go to California (or New York) this past year. I've certainly heard of a lot of people going to Florida.

    Given the U.S.'s standing in the world Covid "ratings", I think domestic tourism would be a greater cause for concern than foreign tourism anyway. At least after about May 1 of last year. And particularly coming from Asia.

  10. #23
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Venice
    Posts
    27,591

    Re: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Disney World reopened July 11. Maybe there's still a lot of foreign tourism into LA, but I would be surprised. Domestically, I certainly haven't heard anyone say how great an idea it would be to go to California (or New York) this past year. I've certainly heard of a lot of people going to Florida.
    Domestic tourism is not the problem. Here in LA, the foriegn tourists aren’t actually tourists, they are here hoping to relocate, so they are here much longer.

    More importantly, the foreigners who come to this country, regardless of what state they end up in, mostly come through either NYC or LA. Which explains why those two cities, and not other cities in the same states, have been hot spots.
    That’s why we’re playing, bro

  11. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Utilizing Catholic Moral Code
    Posts
    4,588

    Re: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

    I don't understand why foreign tourists are a bigger issue than domestic tourists. Per capita, the US only beats out a handful of countries worldwide in Covid cases. So an American is much more likely to be carrying Covid than a foreigner, no? I would think we'd be much more worried about American travelers than foreign ones. Again, at least after the very early stages of this last summer when there was only the tiniest bit of international travel being allowed anyway.

  12. #25
    Member JaxRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    14,630

    Re: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    My wife had a question about this with regard to Florida, and perhaps you can shed light on it:

    A childhood friend of hers lives in Tampa. Her and her mother moved there in the 90s. She spoke to her recently and she was very frustrated because her mother is at risk, and she feels like she can never leave her home because of how lax the restrictions are in Florida. My wife asked if a lot of elderly in Florida feel the same way and she said every older Floridian she knows basically never leaves their home because they are terrified to do so. Not just because of the virus, but because of the lack of restrictions. So my wife’s question is: Is Florida’s numbers really that much better or are the older Floridians just not leaving their homes while the younger Floridians are running around without a care in the world, old people be damned? Are the younger people spreading it around and just not getting tested? I find it hard to believe florida is just naturally more immune to a highly contagious virus. Only thing that would make sense if everyone has already had it.
    Who knows. Your friend feels that way and probably assumes everyone feels the same as her.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

    https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

  13. #26
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Venice
    Posts
    27,591

    Re: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    I don't understand why foreign tourists are a bigger issue than domestic tourists. Per capita, the US only beats out a handful of countries worldwide in Covid cases. So an American is much more likely to be carrying Covid than a foreigner, no? I would think we'd be much more worried about American travelers than foreign ones. Again, at least after the very early stages of this last summer when there was only the tiniest bit of international travel being allowed anyway.
    International travel has been allowed for most of the pandemic. There were restrictions off and on, and I don't think it's a coincidence that LA had it's spikes after the restrictions were relaxed.
    That’s why we’re playing, bro

  14. #27
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    21,016

    Re: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

    Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    My wife had a question about this with regard to Florida, and perhaps you can shed light on it:

    A childhood friend of hers lives in Tampa. Her and her mother moved there in the 90s. She spoke to her recently and she was very frustrated because her mother is at risk, and she feels like she can never leave her home because of how lax the restrictions are in Florida. My wife asked if a lot of elderly in Florida feel the same way and she said every older Floridian she knows basically never leaves their home because they are terrified to do so. Not just because of the virus, but because of the lack of restrictions. So my wife’s question is: Is Florida’s numbers really that much better or are the older Floridians just not leaving their homes while the younger Floridians are running around without a care in the world, old people be damned? Are the younger people spreading it around and just not getting tested? I find it hard to believe florida is just naturally more immune to a highly contagious virus. Only thing that would make sense if everyone has already had it.
    The formula from the get go should have been protect the vulnerable and let everyone else live their lives with common sense. In other words quarantine the elderly but don't close the beaches

  15. #28
    * Bat Votto Second * goreds2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    OH H - EYE OH
    Posts
    3,575

    Re: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Disney World is now open, at greatly reduced capacity, but it was closed most of 2020. And foreign tourists don’t come to LA to go to Disney Land. If they do Disney, it’s Disney World. If you’ve been to both. you know why.

    .
    When I was at Disney World amusement parks last week, it was about at 35% capacity as advertised. I will say that the Orlando, FL airport was packed though when I arrived and departed. The plane was full both times.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

    Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

  16. #29
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Venice
    Posts
    27,591

    Re: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    International travel has been allowed for most of the pandemic. There were restrictions off and on, and I don't think it's a coincidence that LA had it's spikes after the restrictions were relaxed.
    I just want to clarify.

    The main problem NYC and LA faced was at the beginning of the pandemic, before we knew much, and before restrictions were put into place. The virus came from overseas, and likely the people who brought it came through NYC and LA first.

    These two cities were likely the ground zeros for this pandemic, it likely started in these two cites, and spread first there before anyone knew what was happening. So it’s logical that they would have the highest numbers, by a lot, over everywhere else, even cities in their own states.
    That’s why we’re playing, bro

  17. Likes:

    goreds2 (03-15-2021)

  18. #30
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    8,250

    Re: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

    Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    When I was at Disney World amusement parks last week, it was about at 35% capacity as advertised. I will say that the Orlando, FL airport was packed though when I arrived and departed. The plane was full both times.
    I was in Orlando last weekend. For a wedding (bride, groom, priest, deacon and us...all with masks). When we left and drove past Gatorland on the way home, we saw bedlam. Lines and lines of people waiting get in. Most with masks but No social distancing at all.
    Down in Miami Beach...lots of concern. It's out of control, not only with the lack of compliance with restrictions (DeSantis doesn't allow fines to be enforced), but crime. Mayor wants to shut down the whole entertainment district...permanently.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

    http://dalmady.blogspot.com


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator