Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

Re: Texas, Florida and NY. A closer look at 3 states for COVID

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    If if you meant, "...then it means that masks actually aid in the prevention of spread, which reduces the severity of outbreaks when they occur, and assists in decreasing infection rates more quickly than without masking up." then your second sentence in the quote above cannot be true. I'm not sure why you're having difficulty understanding that, other than the fact that you've actually countered your own position. Thank you.

I've made no claim that, by themselves, masks have or are going to prevent 100% of cases. If that's your standard, you've attempted to set up and carry out a fallacious debate.
    No one said that you claimed "that, by themselves, masks have or are going to prevent 100% of cases." That's strawman you threw in just to pettifog the discussion

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    If if you meant, "...then it means that masks actually aid in the prevention of spread, which reduces the severity of outbreaks when they occur, and assists in decreasing infection rates more quickly than without masking up." then your second sentence in the quote above cannot be true. I'm not sure why you're having difficulty understanding that, other than the fact that you've actually countered your own position. Thank you.

I've made no claim that, by themselves, masks have or are going to prevent 100% of cases. If that's your standard, you've attempted to set up and carry out a fallacious debate.
    My original point was not about SteelSD. I was trying to say (perhaps poorly) that masks are helpful but not to the degree that some (not specifically SteelSD) think they are. There are people that I know who believe we would be like Australia had we simply all masked up from the get go. My belief is that the numbers would be better had we masked up and lives would have been saved, but we'd still be in the thick of it until late spring/early summer 2021. I think all states should have had mask mandates through the traditional flu season.

Going back to my original post, I believe that when we get this thing a few years behind us and scientists are able to dispationately look at the data, that my beliefs about masks is what the data will show. All I was trying to say was that I don't agree with the "masks don't work" crowd but I don't think we'd be sitting at a five figure death count had everyone wore masks from March 1, 2020.

I am open to being proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    My original point was not about SteelSD. I was trying to say (perhaps poorly) that masks are helpful but not to the degree that some (not specifically SteelSD) think they are. There are people that I know who believe we would be like Australia had we simply all masked up from the get go. My belief is that the numbers would be better had we masked up and lives would have been saved, but we'd still be in the thick of it until late spring/early summer 2021. I think all states should have had mask mandates through the traditional flu season.

Going back to my original post, I believe that when we get this thing a few years behind us and scientists are able to dispationately look at the data, that my beliefs about masks is what the data will show. All I was trying to say was that I don't agree with the "masks don't work" crowd but I don't think we'd be sitting at a five figure death count had everyone wore masks from March 1, 2020.

I am open to being proven wrong.
    And here's the thing- what you seem to mean is different that what you actually said. While I may disagree with you regarding the importance of mitigation tactics like masks, I think your overall take is pretty reasonable. I just needed to define what it actually was as it appeared to conflict with itself. No worries.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/20/us/mi...vid/index.html

I was told Florida was a success story

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post

It is.

7. Likes:

redhawkfish (03-21-2021),Sea Ray (03-21-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    It is.
    Clearly, it depends on who is telling the story.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

That's a local issue, not a statewide thing. Miami has its own issues.

We should have a thread about kids being out of control during spring break so we don't derail a covid thread
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

11. Likes:

Todd Gack (03-21-2021)

It is.
    State's open... Lets go party!

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    We should have a thread about kids being out of control during spring break so we don't derail a covid thread
    It’s your thread, make whatever rules you want, but this story is directly related to the thread topic imo. Based on the original post, this thread is about how three different states are dealing with spring break and Covid. Here is the original post:

Been a lot of talk about Texas who lifted their mask mandate on March 10th, Florida who has had a pretty loose mask mandate all along and is now having spring break and NY which has the most cases right now. First let me say California which had probably the worse situation in mid Jan, cases have fallen like a rock
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

7 Day Average

Texas (Population 29M)
    Mar 10th - 4,889
    Mar 11th - 4,709
    Mar 12th - 4,652
    Mar 13th - 4,547
    Mar 14th - 4,456
    Mar 15th - 4,604
    Mar 16th - 4,593
    Mar 17th - 4,550
    Mar 18th - 4,176
    Mar 19th - 3,984
    Mar 20th - 3,902
    Mar 21st - 3,943

Florida (Population 21M)
    Mar 10th - 4,853
    Mar 11th - 4,632
    Mar 12th - 4,522
    Mar 13th - 4,602
    Mar 14th - 4,545
    Mar 15th - 4,475
    Mar 16th - 4,527
    Mar 17th - 4,492
    Mar 18th - 4,495
    Mar 19th - 4,484
    Mar 20th - 4,465
    Mar 21st - 4,506

New York (Population 19M)
    Mar 10th - 7,307
    Mar 11th - 7,190
    Mar 12th - 7,198
    Mar 13th - 7,044
    Mar 14th - 6,944
    Mar 15th - 7,033
    Mar 16th - 6,933
    Mar 17th - 7,300
    Mar 18th - 7,475
    Mar 19th - 7,345
    Mar 20th - 7,488
    Mar 21st - 7,760

Early results -
    11 Days out from No-Mask Mandate - Cases down in Texas
    Spring Break in Florida - Cases still down slightly, steady over last 10 days
    NY - Cases went down but are now up. At their highest since Mar 10th.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

We're all gonna die!!!!

We're all gonna die!!!!

Lol I don't care about Covid risk in and of itself. The hypocrisy of a state proudly opening up and then cracking down when the obvious happens is funny and stupid.

Open up and own it or don't and own that too.

I mean, this is what was happening, though. You can't really tell stupid people not to come to your city. It doesn't really have anything to do with Covid. I'm sure some will deem this racist, but you'd get similar videos with different skin colors in Destin. Stupid comes in all colors, shapes and sizes.

https://twitter.com/mcm_ct/status/13...147780097?s=20

NOTE: I don't think this actual video was from this weekend, but there are a number that look just like it that WERE from this weekend.
    Last edited by Boston Red; 03-22-2021 at 01:52 PM.

I mean, this is what was happening, though. You can't really tell stupid people not to come to your city. It doesn't really have anything to do with Covid. I'm sure some will deem this racist, but you'd get similar videos with different skin colors in Destin. Stupid comes in all colors, shapes and sizes.

https://twitter.com/mcm_ct/status/13...147780097?s=20

NOTE: I don't think this actual video was from this weekend, but there are a number that look just like it that WERE from this weekend.
    I get it. I'm sure similar scenes happen all over Florida every year (I agree, not a race thing but a party/idiot thing).

To use Covid as cover for a curfew when the state has tried it's best to dance around Covid is what I find funny.

19. Likes:

Boston Red (03-22-2021)

Turn Off Ads?